Another school shooting....time to arm the teachers?

In my country, the ammunition and firearm have to be kept separated, with the weapon locked and disabled, perhaps by locking the bolt away separately as well.
One reason is so that the act of reassembling it requires more time and deliberation to try to reduce its use in a 'crime of passion'.

And do you politely ask the home invader thug to hold fast, while you assemble and load your weapon too?...How's that work out?

People have firearms for pest control, not self-defence. Not very many people who live in cities have firearms.....

In my country, the ammunition and firearm have to be kept separated, with the weapon locked and disabled, perhaps by locking the bolt away separately as well.
One reason is so that the act of reassembling it requires more time and deliberation to try to reduce its use in a 'crime of passion'.

And do you politely ask the home invader thug to hold fast, while you assemble and load your weapon too?...How's that work out?

Oddly enough, gun crimes are very rare.
0.17 per 100,000 people compared to 2.98 in the US (according to slightly old info in Wikipedia List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

0.17 per 100,000 people compared to 2.98 in the US (according to slightly old info in Wikipedia List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Didn't ask you about gun crimes...I asked you about home invasions, sometimes known as "hot burglaries", which skyrocketed when England instituted its gun ban.

The killings aren't due to guns. They're due to psycos. The guns were merely the method. Would you prefer IED's or knives or what?

The issue as I see it is the scale of killing that can be achieved with an automatic weapon.
Although not impossible, it's unlikely one person with a knife could kill 26 in one rampage.
Even if it did happen, it isn't likely to happen again within a few weeks or months.
He could with a suicide vest packed with C-4....I can get the recipe for that stuff right off the interwebz.

You're just not going to stop a homicidal maniac.
hell he could have mowed down the kids at the bus stop with mom's car

He could with a suicide vest packed with C-4....I can get the recipe for that stuff right off the interwebz.

Not a determined and resourceful one sure.
But with off-the-shelf weapons readily available, anyone having a shitty day can get themselves armed and out there killing before they have time to reconsider.

will the cops randomly inspect the storage of your firearms?

When you first get your licence they do but they don't routinely carry out inspections afterward.

The issue as I see it is the scale of killing that can be achieved with an automatic weapon.
Although not impossible, it's unlikely one person with a knife could kill 26 in one rampage.
Even if it did happen, it isn't likely to happen again within a few weeks or months.

But with off-the-shelf weapons readily available, anyone having a shitty day can get themselves armed and out there killing before they have time to reconsider.

And you live in a country with a population about half of our New York City and your police don't carry firearms and don't want to, but in which more than half your population wants your police forces armed as they are concerned about increasing gun crime. Australia is having the same problem. The more they have passed legislation controlling firearms and extensive buy back programs, gun crime continues to rise. It is only a matter of time in both countries that the citizenry will be thinking about better ability to protect themselves if the police are unable to do so.

So now people want license law-abiding gun owners because criminals misuse firearms. Makes perfect sense! :rolleyes:

I never cease to be amazed how gun grabbers seem to think that the one law criminals will obey is the law keeping them from a firearm.

Didn't ask you about gun crimes...I asked you about home invasions, sometimes known as "hot burglaries", which skyrocketed when England instituted its gun ban.

Why limit your question to home invasions only?
What about tagging? Shitting on the lawn? Stealing the milk money?

And you live in a country with a population about half of our New York City and your police don't carry firearms and don't want to, but in which more than half your population wants your police forces armed as they are concerned about increasing gun crime. Australia is having the same problem. The more they have passed legislation controlling firearms and extensive buy back programs, gun crime continues to rise. It is only a matter of time in both countries that the citizenry will be thinking about better ability to protect themselves if the police are unable to do so.

1) Some police are armed. Anybody of the rank of Detective or above has the choice to carry a firearm. Most take that choice if they are working the night shift. Link to study of more than half the population wants the police armed.
2) Australia is not having that problem at all. Not that I can see anyway. There have been a spate of drive-by shootings in the city's South-west perpetrated by two gangs. Hardly a crime wave.
3) Link to gun crime continuing to rise in Australia, please...

So now people want license law-abiding gun owners because criminals misuse firearms. Makes perfect sense! :rolleyes:

I never cease to be amazed how gun grabbers seem to think that the one law criminals will obey is the law keeping them from a firearm.

It won't stop them, but it will sort the wheat from the chafe....
Which will be of no use whatsoever.

I'm not sure where you got the statistic about "more than half your population wants your police forces armed as they are concerned about increasing gun crime".
That isn't the sense that I have.

Could our low firearms homicide rate be due to our gun laws?
Firearms-related crimes are extremely newsworthy here.
I guess that criminals know that using a gun escalates the crime to a whole new level.

will the cops randomly inspect the storage of your firearms?

When you first get your licence they do but they don't routinely carry out inspections afterward.

I routinely keep my bolt action rifles stored with the bolts removed and the bolts seperate.

No accidents.

My two handguns are in strategic places. they are not loaded but can be loaded quickly.

I also have a couple tomahawks handy.

The chances of a home invasion are slim in my area. Burglaries / theft are not uncommon. Thieves look for targets of opportunity. Not making it easy for burglars is the key. they steal from cars at night.

they look for cash, drugs, electronics and guns. Usually handguns because that is what they can fence.

No i don't need an assault weapon, whatever that is.
I do own some semi-autos and will not relinquish them voluntarily.

I don't think they will steal my blackpowder guns. Theiy are on drugs and can't bother to figure out how to load and operate a percussion or flint firelock.

Why would the gun grabbers want to take my flintlocks?

I don't believe they have the smarts to use them either judging from the ignorance of the gun grabbers on USMB.

We are talking about guns and the 2nd Amendment.

Yes, it is a false comparison. The difference is DEGREE not KIND. A shovel, machine tools, or a car does not offer the immense lethality of firearms.

The argument that it is the "person" not the "tool" is finished as a comment of relevance.

It is the lethality of firearms, Samson, and we have to deal iwth it.

False comparison.

The discussion is guns.

hell he could have mowed down the kids at the bus stop with mom's car

:eusa_eh:

False comparison?

So, you're saying the only way to committ mass murder will be with handguns?

Caligula disagrees.

We are talking about guns and the 2nd Amendment.

Yes, it is a false comparison. The difference is DEGREE not KIND. A shovel, machine tools, or a car does not offer the immense lethality of firearms.

The argument that it is the "person" not the "tool" is finished as a comment of relevance.

False comparison.

The discussion is guns.

:eusa_eh:

False comparison?

So, you're saying the only way to committ mass murder will be with handguns?

Caligula disagrees.

Wait a minute first you say

The argument that it is the "person" not the "tool"
And then in the next sentence in your post you start talking about the tool?

So which is it the tool or the person?

Forum List

Back