Anti-Gay Stickers At High School In Indio Touch Off Debate

Disruptive. Religious bigotry has no place in public schools.

You don't have to be religious to be anti gay. That's a fallacy

Regardless. Being hateful of classmates is disruptive, and unnecessary.
So it's the opinion you want to eliminate. No one can have any opinion that you disagree with.

Suppose a student didn't have a sticker but told gay classmates "I hate you. No particular reason. I just despise the ground you stand on".

I have a gay sister and a few gay cousins. I am a believer that people who are gay are born that way and I support the right for gays to marry each other. However, I also support the freedom of speech for those who do not agree. If people are allowed to preach tolerance and acceptance of homosexuals then likewise, those who disagree also have the right to express their disapproval as long as they are not harming anybody. I'm actually kind of impressed to see this school district taking that stance.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing the VP of the school's Gay Straight Alliance is named Michelle Bachman?

Anti-Gay Stickers At High School In Indio Touch Off Debate: Hate Speech Or Free Speech?
Yeah, this isn't "hate speech" I have to agree with you. They can express themselves as long as they aren't hurting anybody. I'd even say so called "hate speech" is protected. Given that I wouldn't even consider this hateful.
I think the title is hyperbole. The sticker in of itself is not hate speech but we all know kids and a lot of adults arent benign in expression of their views. As a school admin the fact that the sticker could be the start of bullying would be enough for me to stop it right there..
Then stop the antagonist. Eliminate the gay sticker.

So it's the opinion you want to eliminate. No one can have any opinion that you disagree with.

Suppose a student didn't have a sticker but told gay classmates "I hate you. No particular reason. I just despise the ground you stand on".

The left wants this Utopia where everyone is equal, they all get along, there is no differences...a sterile environment.....it's a pipe dream

I have a gay sister and a few gay cousins. I am a believer that people who are gay are born that way and I support the right for gays to marry each other. However, I also support the freedom of speech for those who do not agree. If people are allowed to preach tolerance and acceptance of homosexuals then likewise, those who disagree also have the right to express their disapproval as long as they are not harming anybody. I'm actually kind of impressed to see this school district taking that stance.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing the VP of the school's Gay Straight Alliance is named Michelle Bachman?

Anti-Gay Stickers At High School In Indio Touch Off Debate: Hate Speech Or Free Speech?
Yeah, this isn't "hate speech" I have to agree with you. They can express themselves as long as they aren't hurting anybody. I'd even say so called "hate speech" is protected. Given that I wouldn't even consider this hateful.
I think the title is hyperbole. The sticker in of itself is not hate speech but we all know kids and a lot of adults arent benign in expression of their views. As a school admin the fact that the sticker could be the start of bullying would be enough for me to stop it right there..
Then stop the antagonist. Eliminate the gay sticker.
Eliminate the gay sticker and have opponents to gays just tell them to their faces. Look them right in the eye and say "no one can make me like you or even be kind to you."

Free speech sometimes is rather outrageous. And mean and hateful. Being a coward and parroting popular opinion to avoid conflict like a robot, that is just as offensive. But it's all free speech.

These kids will realize soon enough, hopefully sooner, that only a very small handful of peoples' opinions of you actually matter. Wait...you don't me like me? So the fuck what? Now watch me as I go. lol

The left wants this Utopia where everyone is equal, they all get along, there is no differences...a sterile environment.....it's a pipe dream

Actually, every decent person wants a society where all a treated with equal dignity.

Last edited:

Actually, ever decent person wants a society where all a treated with equal dignity.

You can wish for it but it's never going to happen. It's human nature, in the meantime raise your children differences are to be expected as part of life

Since the Christians are telling the gays that it's because of their belief in the Bible that being homosexual is a sin, and therefore against God, I've got an idea for the gay students.

Print up your own stickers, and show a Bible with a circle with a line through it.

Turnabout is fair play, and free speech is free speech, right?

Read the article stupid, the stickers are in response to the queer nazis wearing their rainbow stickers.

These kids will realize soon enough, hopefully sooner, that only a very small handful of peoples' opinions of you actually matter. Wait...you don't me like me? So the fuck what? Now watch me as I go. lol
It is always surprising to see just how much it does matter. Even total strangers want to be liked and well thought of. To high school kids being told they are disliked or hated is devastating. Why? I don't know but telling someone at this vulnerable age is not trivial.

It is always surprising to see just how much it does matter. Even total strangers want to be liked and well thought of. To high school kids being told they are disliked or hated is devastating. Why? I don't know but telling someone at this vulnerable age is not trivial.

At that age everyone wants to fit-in and be liked. It was quite freeing for me to realize that only a very small group of people had the power to harm you.

These kids will realize soon enough, hopefully sooner, that only a very small handfuly of peoples' opinions of you actually matter. Wait...you don't me like me? So the fuck what? Now watch me as I go. lol
Life would be better for all concerned if we adopted your attitude.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

freedom of speech can be limited in schools. and anti-bullying laws are totally appropriate. the school shouldn't create an environment where it is ok to bully gay teens. this is both because again, kids shouldn't be bullied in school; and b) the rate of attempted suicide for gay kids is about 50%; for transgendered kids it's far higher.

the schools should do anti-bullying programs...not allow people to be victimized by school mates.

Expressing your opinion of disagreeing with homosexuality is no less bullying than expressing your opinion for it, as long as nobody is getting physically harmed or directly harassed.

Bull. your bigotry is no one's problem but you own. and school, like work, should not be a hostile environment. but thanks for wanting to make the world a disgusting place.

Since the Christians are telling the gays that it's because of their belief in the Bible that being homosexual is a sin, and therefore against God, I've got an idea for the gay students.

Print up your own stickers, and show a Bible with a circle with a line through it.

Turnabout is fair play, and free speech is free speech, right?

Read the article stupid, the stickers are in response to the queer nazis wearing their rainbow stickers.

I did read the article, but I still think that should be their response.

Forum List

Back