Anti-Gay Stickers At High School In Indio Touch Off Debate

I have a gay sister and a few gay cousins. I am a believer that people who are gay are born that way and I support the right for gays to marry each other. However, I also support the freedom of speech for those who do not agree. If people are allowed to preach tolerance and acceptance of homosexuals then likewise, those who disagree also have the right to express their disapproval as long as they are not harming anybody. I'm actually kind of impressed to see this school district taking that stance.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing the VP of the school's Gay Straight Alliance is named Michelle Bachman?

Anti-Gay Stickers At High School In Indio Touch Off Debate: Hate Speech Or Free Speech?
Yeah, this isn't "hate speech" I have to agree with you. They can express themselves as long as they aren't hurting anybody. I'd even say so called "hate speech" is protected. Given that I wouldn't even consider this hateful.
I think the title is hyperbole. The sticker in of itself is not hate speech but we all know kids and a lot of adults arent benign in expression of their views. As a school admin the fact that the sticker could be the start of bullying would be enough for me to stop it right there..

I have a gay sister and a few gay cousins. I am a believer that people who are gay are born that way and I support the right for gays to marry each other. However, I also support the freedom of speech for those who do not agree. If people are allowed to preach tolerance and acceptance of homosexuals then likewise, those who disagree also have the right to express their disapproval as long as they are not harming anybody. I'm actually kind of impressed to see this school district taking that stance.

Also, does anyone else find it amusing the VP of the school's Gay Straight Alliance is named Michelle Bachman?

Anti-Gay Stickers At High School In Indio Touch Off Debate: Hate Speech Or Free Speech?
Yeah, this isn't "hate speech" I have to agree with you. They can express themselves as long as they aren't hurting anybody. I'd even say so called "hate speech" is protected. Given that I wouldn't even consider this hateful.
I think the title is hyperbole. The sticker in of itself is not hate speech but we all know kids and a lot of adults arent benign in expression of their views. As a school admin the fact that the sticker could be the start of bullying would be enough for me to stop it right there..
So punish the bullying.

So punish the bullying.
I'd rather take away the environment that fosters the bullying. Nip it in the bud and let everyone know it wont be tolerated. By the time an adult notices the bullying its already gone to far.

This purely a free speech and free expression issue for me. Besides, the day I get upset about a sticker is the day I find a rafter to hang myself from. lol

Today's kids seem to be incredibly fragile compared to previous generations. These are the kids who get participation trophies.

They're also killing themselves over the bullying they are receiving.

Incredibly few actually do something like that and why is that all of a sudden a recent phenomenon? I never heard of anybody killing themselves over being bullied when I was a kid and my school had our share of "nerds" who got picked on pretty regularly.

freedom of speech can be limited in schools. and anti-bullying laws are totally appropriate. the school shouldn't create an environment where it is ok to bully gay teens. this is both because again, kids shouldn't be bullied in school; and b) the rate of attempted suicide for gay kids is about 50%; for transgendered kids it's far higher.

the schools should do anti-bullying programs...not allow people to be victimized by school mates.

Expressing your opinion of disagreeing with homosexuality is no less bullying than expressing your opinion for it, as long as nobody is getting physically harmed or directly harassed.
Thats only if you think validating and bullying mean the same thing.

It's the same if students are being pressured by curriculum and staff to accept it.

If the school allows rainbow stickers they need to allow to allow X-d out rainbows, too.

Somehow I don't think the latter came to exist without the former.....anybody know?
No they dont. They dont have to allow anything they deem may start trouble. They dont allow the kids in my area to wear all red or blue for instance.

No such thing as free speech at school. They can tell you what to wear and what not to wear.

Yes it is.

freedom of speech can be limited in schools. and anti-bullying laws are totally appropriate. the school shouldn't create an environment where it is ok to bully gay teens. this is both because again, kids shouldn't be bullied in school; and b) the rate of attempted suicide for gay kids is about 50%; for transgendered kids it's far higher.

the schools should do anti-bullying programs...not allow people to be victimized by school mates.

Expressing your opinion of disagreeing with homosexuality is no less bullying than expressing your opinion for it, as long as nobody is getting physically harmed or directly harassed.
Thats only if you think validating and bullying mean the same thing.

It's the same if students are being pressured by curriculum and staff to accept it.
How are they being pressured to accept it? They dont have to be gay or condone a gay lifestyle just because they dont have a anti gay sticker on.

If the school allows rainbow stickers they need to allow to allow X-d out rainbows, too.

Somehow I don't think the latter came to exist without the former.....anybody know?
No they dont. They dont have to allow anything they deem may start trouble. They dont allow the kids in my area to wear all red or blue for instance.

If someone wears all red they deserve to be punished. :badgrin:

No such thing as free speech at school. They can tell you what to wear and what not to wear.

Yes it is.
So why do you get in trouble for cursing out the teacher then?

So punish the bullying.
I'd rather take away the environment that fosters the bullying. Nip it in the bud and let everyone know it wont be tolerated. By the time an adult notices the bullying its already gone to far.
Okay. Being against homosexuality doesn't foster bullying.

So punish the bullying.
Of course it does. Where have you been for the last couple of decades?

So punish the bullying.
Of course it does. Where have you been for the last couple of decades?
I have been a homosexual the last couple of decades.

Yes it is.

That isn't free speech.

She was born that way? Which of your parents have the gay gene? Mom or pop?

Last edited:

Sounds like some genetic issues at hand there....my goodness. I got ZERO homosexuals in my family. A race mixer but that was her choice....

Yes it is.

That isn't free speech.
Why not?

Sounds like some genetic issues at hand there....my goodness. I got ZERO homosexuals in my family. A race mixer but that was her choice....
I knew it! No wonder you are always so butt hurt. :laugh:

Yes it is.

That isn't free speech.
Why not?

Saying, "Fuck you", to a teacher is a verbal threat.

Forum List

Back