Anti-homeschooling bill defeated in California

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
Just keep your noses out of it government. Just more government over reach and privacy intrusion

SACRAMENTO
—They came by the hundreds, perhaps thousands, easily exceeding the capacity of the legislative committee hearing room and making their presence felt throughout the State Capitol. And at the end of a very long day, homeschooling families scored a major victory — defeat of a bill with serious privacy and safety implications.

For more than three hours, families and freedom advocates streamed in front of microphones to state their opposition to California State Assembly Bill 2756. Pacific Justice Institute was also represented and voiced its opposition. Large numbers of opponents made the trek from Southern California, the Bay Area, and every other part of the state. The opponents included a number of professionals, state-credentialed teachers, and self-described progressives and liberal Democrats.

Oh, they'll just pass it by decree. Gotta keep those kids learning about fisting and how guns are evil.

Classroom.jpg

I don't know what California wanted. The fire inspection thing was nuts. Knowing the names of the homeschoolers was the thing that had me scratching my head. In Maine, you need to notify your school district if you are homeschooling. All children 7 and older have to be enrolled in school or getting educated at home; it's a law.
California doesn't have such a law? They can't just ask the schools for the names of the kids being homeschooled?
The other thing is, why do they want the names? Don't they think the school districts can keep track?

Which begs the question, if they aren’t receiving benefits, why would children need to be registered with the state?

Nothing wrong with home schooling. Nothing wrong with private schools.....What's wrong is places like that homeschooling couple in Perris.....and any private school run by Lester Roloff or his ilk.

Which begs the question, if they aren’t receiving benefits, why would children need to be registered with the state?
The local school districts should be doing all of that. It's only possible to be accurate at the community level. The school is the one who needs to know there is a kid out there getting schooled at home. I think they should be REQUIRED to take standardized tests every so many years, with their class, to make sure they're actually getting educated, but otherwise, the school doesn't need to get involved. Around here, a lot of homeschooled kids participate in sports and band, etc. at their local school. The homeschool parents get together and do field trips and get togethers so the kids have opportunities to socialize, as well. It can be a good thing if the parents aren't keeping them out of school to avoid Child Protective or because they're too lazy to get out of bed and get the kids ready.

Nothing wrong with home schooling. Nothing wrong with private schools.....What's wrong is places like that homeschooling couple in Perris.....and any private school run by Lester Roloff or his ilk.
The exceptions rather than the rule, just as some teachers have been found to be predators. They are the exception rather than the rule.

Just keep your noses out of it government. Just more government over reach and privacy intrusion

SACRAMENTO
—They came by the hundreds, perhaps thousands, easily exceeding the capacity of the legislative committee hearing room and making their presence felt throughout the State Capitol. And at the end of a very long day, homeschooling families scored a major victory — defeat of a bill with serious privacy and safety implications.

For more than three hours, families and freedom advocates streamed in front of microphones to state their opposition to California State Assembly Bill 2756. Pacific Justice Institute was also represented and voiced its opposition. Large numbers of opponents made the trek from Southern California, the Bay Area, and every other part of the state. The opponents included a number of professionals, state-credentialed teachers, and self-described progressives and liberal Democrats.

So Democrats killed the bill. Whoopee.

Home schooling has been used largely as a way for evangelicals, the fakest of 'christians', to be able to teach their kids the world is 6,000 years old rather than 4.5 billion and Jesus rode dinosaurs. Among a list of things that are nonsense.

The more fanatical red states have started voting to have taxpayer money paid to homeschooling parents. Home school if you want but pay for it yourself. Stop asking the public to pad your bank account.

The more fanatical red states have started voting to have taxpayer money paid to homeschooling parents. Home school if you want but pay for it yourself. Stop asking the public to pad your bank account.

I'd be fine with that and in return homeschooling parents can be exempt from paying taxes to to the public school system.

I'd be fine with that and in return homeschooling parents can be exempt from paying taxes to to the public school system.

Sorry taxes don't work that way. Don't ever call the cops or the fire department? Cool, you pay anyway.

Nice try.

Home schooling has been used largely as a way for evangelicals, the fakest of 'christians', to be able to teach their kids the world is 6,000 years old rather than 4.5 billion and Jesus rode dinosaurs. Among a list of things that are nonsense.

A lot of homeschool parents do a great job; I've guided some homeschooled kids through getting their equivalency diplomas (since there isn't one for homeschool kids unless they are enrolled in an expensive on-line school) and they did FINE with science, history and everything else. I'm sure they were from religious families but they lived in this century.

Most home school because of concerns with school environment, dissatisfaction with the school system or curriculum being taught

Then since I have no school aged kids, I should be as well, right?

School taxes do not pay for fire or police.

Sorry taxes don't work that way. Don't ever call the cops or the fire department? Cool, you pay anyway.

Nice try.

The local school districts should be doing all of that. It's only possible to be accurate at the community level. The school is the one who needs to know there is a kid out there getting schooled at home. I think they should be REQUIRED to take standardized tests every so many years, with their class, to make sure they're actually getting educated, but otherwise, the school doesn't need to get involved. Around here, a lot of homeschooled kids participate in sports and band, etc. at their local school. The homeschool parents get together and do field trips and get togethers so the kids have opportunities to socialize, as well. It can be a good thing if the parents aren't keeping them out of school to avoid Child Protective or because they're too lazy to get out of bed and get the kids ready.
That's what happened with the Perris family.

No...because we as a society all benefit from public schools even if our own kids don't go or we don't have kids....just like we all pay into roads we may never drive on or police/fire personnel we may never use.

Forum List

Back