"Anticipatory self-defense is not a thing". Harvard Law Professor Debunks Daniel Penny’s Legal Defense Strategy

Conservative from Georgia

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2018
Daniel Penny’s legal defense strategy has been called into question by Harvard Law Professor Areva Martin.

According to Martin, anticipatory self-defense is not a valid legal defense and therefore cannot be used in Penny’s case.

This comes after Penny was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Jordan Neely on a New York subway. Furthermore, Penny’s military background may not help his case. As a member of the military, Penny knows when a chokehold is deadly and therefore his argument that he was acting in self-defense may not hold up in court. This could actually work against him as the prosecution could use this information to their advantage.

Daniel Penny’s legal defense strategy has been called into question by Harvard Law Professor Areva Martin.

According to Martin, anticipatory self-defense is not a valid legal defense and therefore cannot be used in Penny’s case.

This comes after Penny was charged with second-degree manslaughter in the death of Jordan Neely on a New York subway. Furthermore, Penny’s military background may not help his case. As a member of the military, Penny knows when a chokehold is deadly and therefore his argument that he was acting in self-defense may not hold up in court. This could actually work against him as the prosecution could use this information to their advantage.

I blame the government. When you train people to kill other people, don't be surprised when they do.

Liberals have a great way with words. "Stochastic" for instance. Liberal progressive gaslighting, by any other name...still smells like shit.

His military training will make what he did worse because of his lack of self-discipline and his professional training.

They are going to hang him on the fact that nobody asked him to intervene and he held the choke hold much longer than he should have. Appears the man while making verbal threats, did not actually broach a physical one. And Penny was told by several riders to let him go. And he refused. Ultimately, he's going to prison. Probably not for very long. But long enough. And it didn't have to happen.

“When a lot of us think of self-defense, it’s built in, you’re defending yourself from something. That means you’re not first to act. Jordan Neely never touched him, he never hit him, he never lunged in his direction. In fact, Daniel Penny came from behind him and put him in a chokehold. So is that reasonable?”

I blame the government. When you train people to kill other people, don't be surprised when they do.
Not surprised. At times like this, people just wish they had learned more discretion, self-discipline and judgement, so a jury might not have to sort out the resulting actions.

The Army Trained me to kill. Oddly in the 42 years since I went to basic training, I haven't killed anyone.

The Army also trained me how to fill out paperwork and do inventory control. I do that every day.

It's not a matter of what they train you to do, it's a matter of the judgement you show in using that knowledge.

They are going to hang him on the fact that nobody asked him to intervene and he held the choke hold much longer than he should have. Appears the man while making verbal threats, did not actually broach a physical one. And Penny was told by several riders to let him go. And he refused. Ultimately, he's going to prison. Probably not for very long. But long enough. And it didn't have to happen.

“When a lot of us think of self-defense, it’s built in, you’re defending yourself from something. That means you’re not first to act. Jordan Neely never touched him, he never hit him, he never lunged in his direction. In fact, Daniel Penny came from behind him and put him in a chokehold. So is that reasonable?”

Shit happens, and as long as it doesn't happen in my neighborhood, not my circus, not my monkey.

Not surprised. At times like this, people just wish they had learned more discretion, self-discipline and judgement, so a jury might not have to sort out the resulting actions.

Well he was a former Marine assigned as a rifleman to Camp Lejeune, per his public records. He also deployed to the Mediterranean with the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit. Maybe he had PTSD from eating all that Mediterranean food. That shit can cause pretty ugly flashbacks. I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes, thinking about the stuff I had to eat in the mess hall at Ft. Benning.

Forum List

Back