Are atheists materialists?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are oversimplifying the ā€œloveā€ emotion(s).
Why? Ignorance of scientific psychology?
Off topic but I canā€™t help asking why a Koala & ā€˜Denmarkā€™? A Danish imigrant to Oz?
Danish people are relatively happy and non-violent, like Koalas, but if threatened or angered, a negative emotional outburst can occur.

Right. They would be considered materialists or naturalists.
And a materialist/naturalist is not necessarily a ā€œhard atheistā€ who believes there is no God or supernatural force.
An agnostic can be considered a ā€œsoft atheistā€ who simply is not a theist.
And Facebook has like 56 gender options.

I think people are uncomfortable with their atheism and need to feel like they are more than what the logical conclusion of their beliefs mean.

Such as love is nothing more than an electrochemical reaction in the brain as a result of evolution.
Iā€™m not. I am starting from the two positions. Matter was created by spirit. Or spirit was created by matter. There is no middle ground.
One can have lots of empathy, believe in the golden rule and ā€œloveā€, AND not be a theist who believes there is a ā€œsoulā€ separate from matter.
How does this soul exist separate from matter? Where did it come from and where will it go?

Physical awareness.
Then you are a materialist like WB.
No, In am an Existentialist.
How many times do you have to be told before it sinks into your thick head?

Don't you know? ding gets to decide who and what we are.
There you go again taking things personal.

Its called a joke, son. At your expense, but still a joke.
If it was at my expense I think that proved my point.

The TLoT says no such thing, but you knew that already. The only temperature at which there is no usable energy to do work, thermal equilibrium, is absolute zero and the 3rd Law says it is impossible to reach absolute zero in the real world.
Thermal equilibrium does not mean absolute zero. Thermal equilibrium means uniform temperature.
thermal equilibrium is the temperature at which there is no usable energy to do work, and that ONLY happens at absolute zero, which is impossible to attain in the real world. But you knew that already!
Nope.
A system is said to be in thermal equilibrium when there is no unbalanced forces acting on any part of system or the system as a whole.
A system is said to be in thermal equilibrium when there is no Chemical reaction within the system and also there is no movement of any chemical constituents from one part of the system to the other.
You are in the wrong thread. Go create a thread for this.
You brought up thermal equilibrium and gave only one example of thermal equilibrium and then claimed it was the only kind of thermal equilibrium in the universe. I simply posted two examples you left out.

Either existence was created through natural processes and all spirituality exists due to material interactions or the material world was created by spirit.
I can actually make a logical argument for both cases.
No you can't. There is no logical argument for the material world being created by nonmaterial spirit. There is ONLY faith.

And thatā€™s all that matters to you.

Not at all. But that seems to be what matters to you. You have continually asked others whether I am an atheist. You have continually tried to call me a materialist or a naturalist, despite the fact that I fit the definition of an atheist quite well.
An atheist who believes in spirits.

An atheist who believes in incorporeal things. You defined them as spirits, not me.

You really are a dishonest sort of debater, aren't you?
What would you call incorporeal things which did not originate from corporeal things, WB?

How about "incorporeal things which did not originate from corporeal things"? Saves you trying to say I believe in a soul that is animated by a mover, or some such nonsense.
Can you give me an example of something that is incorporeal that did not originate from something that was corporeal?

Because that literally describes a spirit which is outside of the material world.

And a materialist/naturalist is not necessarily a ā€œhard atheistā€ who believes there is no God or supernatural force.
An agnostic can be considered a ā€œsoft atheistā€ who simply is not a theist.

I think people are uncomfortable with their atheism and need to feel like they are more than what the logical conclusion of their beliefs mean.

Such as love is nothing more than an electrochemical reaction in the brain as a result of evolution.
Iā€™m not. I am starting from the two positions. Matter was created by spirit. Or spirit was created by matter. There is no middle ground.
One can have lots of empathy, believe in the golden rule and ā€œloveā€, AND not be a theist who believes there is a ā€œsoulā€ separate from matter.
How does this soul exist separate from matter? Where did it come from and where will it go?
I prefer to interpret your ā€œsoulā€ as sentient consciousness.
It eventually develops from DNA-instructed stem cells that reflect brain activity patterned from basic and complicated experiences. Much of oneā€™s personality is stored in long-term memory, which may appear to be the ā€œsoulā€ among religious thinkers.
After biological death, consciousness disappears.

I believe that if one believes that there is a mover of their soul which animates their soul they are not atheists.
Music moves my soul and I know there was no music before the composer physically existed and even after the composer is physically gone the music still moves my soul.
So please explain to me exactly why I can't be an Atheist!
You have a soul? Tell me about it?
I already told you about it, but talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. I told you your soul is all the works and deeds you do in a lifetime that will live on after your physical existence is gone. I even pointed out that as a result of our interaction on this board, my soul will live inside of you and there is nothing you can do about it!

See since I actually did already tell you, I can remind you what I said, but when you claim to have already said something you can never repeat it because you never said it in the first place!
Eventually the sun will supernova and engulf the earth and fling everything into space. Will your soul live then? When every living thing is incinerated?
No, soul is NOT eternal like energy.

It eventually develops from DNA-instructed stem cells that reflect brain activity patterned from basic and complicated experiences. Much of oneā€™s personality is stored in long-term memory, which may appear to be the ā€œsoulā€ among religious thinkers.
Which would be a materialistic world view.

Your beliefs that you are an atheist who believes in a life force are illogical. That is what you are confused about. Those concepts are mutually exclusive. All you have done is substitute a different word for God. Probably because you recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.
Just as you have substituted God for Energy. So you also recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.
God is no thing.
And therefore no thing comes from God.
No it means God is not matter. God is spirit. God is consciousness.
And it also means that God cannot create anything material.

I believe that if one believes that there is a mover of their soul which animates their soul they are not atheists.
Music moves my soul and I know there was no music before the composer physically existed and even after the composer is physically gone the music still moves my soul.
So please explain to me exactly why I can't be an Atheist!
You have a soul? Tell me about it?
I already told you about it, but talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. I told you your soul is all the works and deeds you do in a lifetime that will live on after your physical existence is gone. I even pointed out that as a result of our interaction on this board, my soul will live inside of you and there is nothing you can do about it!

See since I actually did already tell you, I can remind you what I said, but when you claim to have already said something you can never repeat it because you never said it in the first place!
Eventually the sun will supernova and engulf the earth and fling everything into space. Will your soul live then? When every living thing is incinerated?
No, soul is NOT eternal like energy.
So the soul will not live on. It is finite. That is a materialistic world view.

I would label myself an ā€œagnosticā€ with a ā€œsoft atheistā€ view.
I donā€™t pretend to know what I donā€™t know, but I like to rationalize theories based on experiences or other evidence.
I have a scientific perspective.

Or naturalistic, based on what we perceive and measure with a good degree of accuracy.

Your beliefs that you are an atheist who believes in a life force are illogical. That is what you are confused about. Those concepts are mutually exclusive. All you have done is substitute a different word for God. Probably because you recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.
Just as you have substituted God for Energy. So you also recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.
God is no thing.
And therefore no thing comes from God.
No it means God is not matter. God is spirit. God is consciousness.
And it also means that God cannot create anything material.
I donā€™t believe it does. I believe that mind, rather than emerging late in the evolution of time and space has always existed and is the source or matrix of the physical world such that the laws of nature created being that know and create.

Or naturalistic, based on what we perceive and measure with a good degree of accuracy.
Same difference.

I donā€™t pretend to know what I donā€™t know, but I like to rationalize theories based on experiences or other evidence.
I understand. So do I. Iā€™ve been a practing engineer for 34 years.

Same difference.
Same coin, perhaps.
One side is a philosophical view, and the other side focuses on scientific methods based on natural data.

Same difference.
Same coin, perhaps.
One side is a philosophical view, and the other side focuses on scientific methods based on natural data.
Not sure how either of those changes your belief that everything proceeds from the material world. That things like spiritualality are consequences of the material world. Right?

You donā€™t appear to be a scientist, although you use scientific information in your career to pay the bills?
Here is one explanation of the difference:
ā€œScience is the study of the physical world, while Engineering applies scientific knowledge to design processes, structures or equipment.ā€

You donā€™t appear to be a scientist, although you use scientific information in your career to pay the bills?
Here is one explanation of the difference:
ā€œScience is the study of the physical world, while Engineering applies scientific knowledge to design processes, structures or equipment.ā€
Engineering is the commercial application of science.

What is your background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back