Zone1 Are Blacks overproportionally represented in the media?

It would help to know who your response was directed towards.

But as for affecting lives, the blacks want money just for having more pigment and they want me to pay them because I have less pigment.

And some of those on this board have openly advocated for doing away with the white race.

It matters, as they will learn.
My response was toward the OP, that’s why I didn’t reply to one particular post. I’m not racist, but a few black posters call me that, when in fact, they appear to hate all white people. It doesn’t matter what color someone’s skin is in a damn commercial, or anywhere on tv. It has zero affect on any part of my life.

My response was toward the OP, that’s why I didn’t reply to one particular post. I’m not racist, but a few black posters call me that, when in fact, they appear to hate all white people. It doesn’t matter what color someone’s skin is in a damn commercial, or anywhere on tv. It has zero affect on any part of my life.
Thank you for clarifying.

I've never advocated killing white people or even eliminating them from the country. I have white in-laws and half white little cousins who I love dearly. I've only ever expressed joy in watching you cry about losing your demographic majority and argued doing so would make it easier for minorites to obtain equal justice. Neither of those things are particularly outrageous viewpoints.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
The OP is correct.

Beginning in the 1960s, TV commercials started showing diversity by showing only African Americans. (There would always be an African American couple eating in the background if the scene was set in a restaurant.)

2022 has seen a true breakthrough for other minorities. Although there are always African Americans in every commercial, there are now growing numbers of Asians and Hispanics. (And don't forget: Some Hispanics are "white.")

The number of gays is also increasing. Just saw two African American men kissing, and there was a commercial where a young Caucasian man affectionally drapes his arm around another young Caucasian.

The OP is correct.

Beginning in the 1960s, TV commercials started showing diversity by showing only African Americans. (There would always be an African American couple eating in the background if the scene was set in a restaurant.)

2022 has seen a true breakthrough for other minorities. Although there are always African Americans in every commercial, there are now growing numbers of Asians and Hispanics. (And don't forget: Some Hispanics are "white.")

The number of gays is also increasing. Just saw two African American men kissing, and there was a commercial where a young Caucasian man affectionally drapes his arm around another young Caucasian.
What you barely see are heterosexual white couples, or white families.

What you barely see are heterosexual white couples, or white families.
Well, to be fair, here in the Los Angeles market, the commercials do show a lot of straight couples and Caucasian families.

The powers-that-be have been very successful in accustoming us to commercials with a diversity of people. In fact, I feel that something is missing when occasionally a commercial has no minority representation.

Why are people whining about blacks on TV commercials advertising products from white owned companies on white owned TV networks?

Wow…did we just drop into the Flame Zone?

Thread was massively cleaned of posts that either violated Zone 1 or were derailing the thread.

The topic is whether black people are overrepresented in media.

Last edited:
I personally consider it a mistake to expect exact or near exact "representation" of any race or color or gender most anywhere.

U.S. TV consumption: average viewing time 2009-2019, by ethnicity

Published by
Julia Stoll
Julia Stoll

May 2, 2022

In 2019, TV consumption in the United States was highest among African Americans,who watched an average of 3.23 hours of TV each day. Meanwhile, Asian Americans spent around half that amount of time watching television each day.

And this is why so many blacks are in commercials. Never mind that the control of TV relative to decision making is way underrepresented by people of color.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the commercials that show two Muslim men kissing.

As far as black people, I have to admit that they represented at least 80-90% of the actors appearing in commercials when I watched the Warriors win the N.B.A. championship.

Do people really watch television keeping count of how many ethnicities are on screen at any given time? That seems like an odd obsession.

Do people really watch television keeping count of how many ethnicities are on screen at any given time? That seems like an odd obsession.
How is skewing advertising to overrepresent blacks going to make any black person's life any better?

Forum List

Back