Are only black kids allowed to trick or treat as Pres. Obama?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
If a white kid wants to be the president for Halloween would it be deemed racist for him or her to use black make-up?

If you want to play a blonde character you put on a blond wig. If you want to play a black character, what do you do?

I started wondering about that when I saw this story:

Derek Hough addresses Julianne Hough's blackface Halloween costume: 'It wasn't her brightest moment' - NY Daily News

I'm probably late to the party on this story. Apparently people have been reacting harshly to her or Derek Hough wouldn't have needed to say anything on behalf of his sister.

There are lots of young people who really have been raised in what were in many ways post-racial times. They don't know about minstrel shows. They have friends of many ethnicities. They see a character on television or in the movies and they think it would be fun to imitate that person. They're going for a physical resemblance without thinking of negative racial history, because they are so far removed from the history. Are only the blonde kids allowed to play the blonde characters and only the black kids allowed to play the black characters?

Last edited:
If a white kid wants to be the president for Halloween would it be deemed racist for him or her to use black make-up?

If you want to play a blonde character you put on a blond wig. If you want to play a black character, what do you do?

I started wondering about that when I saw this story:

Derek Hough addresses Julianne Hough's blackface Halloween costume: 'It wasn't her brightest moment? - NY Daily News

I'm probably late to the party on this story. Apparently people have been reacting harshly to her or Derek Hough wouldn't have needed to say anything on behalf of his sister.

There are lots of young people who really have been raised in what were in many ways post-racial times. They don't know about minstrel shows. They have friends of many ethnicities. They see a character on television or in the movies and they think it would be fun to imitate that person. They're going for a physical resemblance without thinking of negative racial history, because they are so far removed from the history. Are only the blonde kids allowed to play the blonde characters and only the black kids allowed to play the black characters?

Hi Amelia:
It depends how it is done
1. wearing an Obama mask, it wouldn't matter the race or gender of whoever is underneath. I even wore one last year with my costume spoofing my bf as a radio host.
Had an Obama mask and the microphone that came with it.
2. wearing realistic tanner or browner makeup would likely be acceptable, similar to stage make up.
3. but wearing overly black, or "blackface" would likely be objected to as "racist"
because the history of "blackface" was seen as harmful or hurtful to the feelings
and image of African Americans.

Anything that shows insensitivity or disregard of the shame associated with images, even the big red lips and exaggerated "natives of Africa" type cartoons can be seen as hurtful.

A lot of it is the "SPIRIT" of how it's done.
If it is good natured joking, like me making fun of my bf who can't stand the man, then it is not seen as offensive.

If it is "mean spirited" or insensitive and disregarding the very real pain and shame associated with Blackface and Aunt Jemima images of the days of slavery, then it can cause disruptive negative responses.

Same with the controversy over the Confederate Flag. If it is done with respect to history, it does not have to be hurtful. But waving it like a red flag to entice a bull to charge, that is clearly going to incite outcries and objections based on race and sensitivity to perception.

Good answer, Emily.

I don't think Julianne Hough did it disrespectfully. It looks like she was in a group of people who took different parts from a television show, and her part was a character who happened to be black.

My husband says you don't need brown make-up to play Obama.

He says to put on fake ears, buzz cut your head, wear a polo shirt and carry a golf club, then say, "give me some candy or I'll egg your house." Then when they give you the candy, say "give me some more candy, or I'll egg your house." Then after they give you more candy, leave and then egg the house anyway.

And that's how the people will know Obama visited them for Halloween.

I LOVE my husband. :D

My husband says you don't need brown make-up to play Obama.

He says to put on fake ears, buzz cut your head, wear a polo shirt and carry a golf club, then say, "give me some candy or I'll egg your house." Then when they give you the candy, say "give me some more candy, or I'll egg your house." Then after they give you more candy, leave and then egg the house anyway.

And that's how the people will know Obama visited them for Halloween.

I LOVE my husband. :D

Wow! He's really funny!

I know! That was so interesting! I mean.....the throwing eggs at the house idea......so spot on!

So are you going to discuss the OP or are you only interested in trying to be a funny guy yourself?

It shouldnt really matter but that is not the world we live in. I would not dress a child in something that could be construed as offensive but I'm considerate like that. She may not have had bad intentions but as a person in the media she should have known better. There are still lots of racist people around. I dont really believe we are "post racial" just yet.

I'm going as Michele Obama this year. It's a gender-bender theme. Was going to be Lady Gaga but I don't have the legs.

This is me in my test costume.

zira4.jpg

People need to remember that only white people can be considered racist in todays America.

True story........ :cool:

If you're a petite blonde female member of Die Antwoord, you can do blackface. But you also have to be offensive in every other possible way.

And a warning about the video. Some things can't be unseen.

220px-Die_Antwoord_Fatty_Boom_Boom_screenshot.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXUgtNC4Kc]Die Antwoord - "Fatty Boom Boom" (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back