Are Republicans "trying" to lose the 2016 presidential race?

here's the problem the GOP.

Like most American Political parties, it is a coalition.

In this case, the combination of LIbertarians, Theocrats, Plutocrats, and Militarists.

The Militarist wing (or Neo-Cons) are declining. There's simply no taste for more war and adventurism right now.

The Libertarians are on the rise.

The Plutocrats took a thrubbing. The nomination of Romney was really the man behind the curtain being exposed, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

The Theocrats are the big question mark. Clearly, they are not going down without a fight. The Establishment has never been happy with them (note their throwing of 2008 rather than risk Huckabee getting the nomination.)

Now, all that said, I think the GOP will probably make a good showing in 2014 and that will give them confidence going into 2016.

The questions are-

1) Which wing becomes dominant in the next cycle.
2) Who do the Democrats nominate?
3) Will the Republican nominee be likable?
4) What the state of the economy will be?

I love how loons on both sides keep declaring the other party dead after Bush was reelected in 2004 the right did it with the Democrats now after Obama was reelected the left is doing with the Republicans elections go in cycles with one party on a high and one a low the trend always swings back and fourth it's sad how some just can't grasp that.

I agree with you that there is a cyclical dimension to national politics... but that is not the only dynamic in play now. There is a rather rapid shift in demographics happening and that may very well disrupt the cycle. If white Americans, as a segment of the population, are declining, and the hispanic, black and asian segments are growing, the fact that those non-white segments are tilted heavily in the democrat's favor does not bode well for a cyclical republican resurgence, imho.

I think that is getting somewhat overplayed given the fact that in the 2012 election the Democrats did not take back the House and the Senate shifted only slightly for the Democrats. Though Obama won big on the electoral front remember he won by seven points in 2008 but by three or four in 2012 couple this with the House and Senate results I mentioned and it shows in my view this has been more about Obama's personal popularity than that of his or the Democrats policies the 2014 midterms will give us a good idea of which way the country is truly leaning

considering the swing states that won Obama the election are worse off today and Obama has taken steps that will hurt most of them in the long term the democrats are the ones who should be worried. The economy will hurt Obama. Gun control, will be a major blow to all democrats. Obama has been trying to hide the negative effects of obamacare by delaying its implementation. The deficit continues to grow. The job picture is bleak. hard working ameircans, liberals included, are getting sick and tired of an ever expanding welfare nation. And you know what is right around the corner? inflation. think people are struggling to make ends meet now? just wait

considering the swing states that won Obama the election are worse off today and Obama has taken steps that will hurt most of them in the long term the democrats are the ones who should be worried. The economy will hurt Obama. Gun control, will be a major blow to all democrats. Obama has been trying to hide the negative effects of obamacare by delaying its implementation. The deficit continues to grow. The job picture is bleak. hard working ameircans, liberals included, are getting sick and tired of an ever expanding welfare nation. And you know what is right around the corner? inflation. think people are struggling to make ends meet now? just wait

Whoa is to us, and the gnashing of teeth.

Guy, get real. The biggest problem the GOP has is not how well Obama is doing, it is that people don't trust it to fix things.

Incidently the deficit is actualy down, quite a lot..

Whoa is to us, and the gnashing of teeth.

Guy, get real. The biggest problem the GOP has is not how well Obama is doing, it is that people don't trust it to fix things.

Incidently the deficit is actualy down, quite a lot..
the biggest problem the democrats have is actually believing their own spin that Obama is doing well.

I love how loons on both sides keep declaring the other party dead after Bush was reelected in 2004 the right did it with the Democrats now after Obama was reelected the left is doing with the Republicans elections go in cycles with one party on a high and one a low the trend always swings back and fourth it's sad how some just can't grasp that.

I agree with you that there is a cyclical dimension to national politics... but that is not the only dynamic in play now. There is a rather rapid shift in demographics happening and that may very well disrupt the cycle. If white Americans, as a segment of the population, are declining, and the hispanic, black and asian segments are growing, the fact that those non-white segments are tilted heavily in the democrat's favor does not bode well for a cyclical republican resurgence, imho.

I think that is getting somewhat overplayed given the fact that in the 2012 election the Democrats did not take back the House and the Senate shifted only slightly for the Democrats. Though Obama won big on the electoral front remember he won by seven points in 2008 but by three or four in 2012 couple this with the House and Senate results I mentioned and it shows in my view this has been more about Obama's personal popularity than that of his or the Democrats policies the 2014 midterms will give us a good idea of which way the country is truly leaning

The Republicans need to stop patting themselves on the back for keeping he House. In spite of receiving fewer Congressional votes than the Dems, they managed to gerrymander their way to victory

America does not love you

[ the biggest problem the democrats have is actually believing their own spin that Obama is doing well.

I can't speak for "the Democrats", being a life-long Republican.

But until the GOP gets people like me back, they are going to keep losing elections.

The Republicans need to stop patting themselves on the back for keeping he House. In spite of receiving fewer Congressional votes than the Dems, they managed to gerrymander their way to victory

Always have a excuse for Democrat failures in elections don't you? Here is a bit of reality you will ignore America does not love the Democrats either since their big win in 2008 they lost the House their huge majority in the Senate they made no progress in getting them back in 2012 and there are no indications that will change in 2014 if Democrats and their policies were truly being embraced by the people this would not be the case and you would have to pull out the gerrymandering card to rationalize their failure to do so.

Blackhawk, every one gets the 'cycle' thing, huh.

What the best Americans are trying to do is to keep the government out of the hands of the liberals and the reactionaries.

Fakey wake up, we currently have a liberal POTUS, in fact he believes you have too much and suggest to the under privileged that you give it up...

He is not a liberal, only a left of center mild neo-con. And your chanting is nothing more than "I don't want to pay taxes."

Always have a excuse for Democrat failures in elections don't you? Here is a bit of reality you will ignore America does not love the Democrats either since their big win in 2008 they lost the House their huge majority in the Senate they made no progress in getting them back in 2012 and there are no indications that will change in 2014 if Democrats and their policies were truly being embraced by the people this would not be the case and you would have to pull out the gerrymandering card to rationalize their failure to do so.

Dems picked up seats in both the House and the Senate in 2012. The biggest victory was in the Electoral College where they trounced the Republicans in he second straight election

Without gerrymandered seats, the Republucans could not hold the House

here's the problem the GOP.

Like most American Political parties, it is a coalition.

In this case, the combination of LIbertarians, Theocrats, Plutocrats, and Militarists.

The Militarist wing (or Neo-Cons) are declining. There's simply no taste for more war and adventurism right now.

The Libertarians are on the rise.

The Plutocrats took a thrubbing. The nomination of Romney was really the man behind the curtain being exposed, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

The Theocrats are the big question mark. Clearly, they are not going down without a fight. The Establishment has never been happy with them (note their throwing of 2008 rather than risk Huckabee getting the nomination.)

Now, all that said, I think the GOP will probably make a good showing in 2014 and that will give them confidence going into 2016.

The questions are-

1) Which wing becomes dominant in the next cycle.
2) Who do the Democrats nominate?
3) Will the Republican nominee be likable?
4) What the state of the economy will be?

Don't forget the xenophobe/nativist contingent ;)

Last edited:
Who cares at this point? Neither party is worth a crap. The country is on life support just waiting for the plug to be pulled

-Geaux

I think the overriding desire of voters both Democrat and Republican is finding solutions to our problems, not winning political battles.

Last edited:
I think the overriding desire of voters both Democrat and Republican is finding solutions to our problems, not winning political battles.

theres too much money to be had by the politicians through revolving-door employment at their donor's home base (Wall Street or Wall Street- financed think tanks) than to risk putting the good of the country first

Last edited:

Forum List

Back