Are Some Cultures Superior to Others?

Are Some Cultures Superior to Others?

• Total voters
You cant convince people who think they are superior that anyone can know something better than them. Thats exactly why some of america's early European colonists had to resort to cannibalism in order to survive. No humility.

I tried to turn this thread away from race/superiority and towards opportunity/resources by bring up the history outlined in "Guns, Germs and Steel". You said you read it and discounted it. I asked you to explain and you ignore my post.

Didn't read the book did you?

Humans aren't superior to other humans. You play the hand you're dealt. Africa got a raw deal. North Europe got a royal flush. Hint: That's in the book. Sorry if that doesn't fit your victim narrative.

I ignored your post because it was not credible. What else do you want me to say? I read the book but that is not the topic as you said yourself. Start a thread on it. Africa got the royal flush then taught Europe how to participate in the benefits of that royal flush. I know whats in the book. I just think the dude is way off in left field trying to find his ass.

Imagine yourself in the amazon. No food. No water. No equipment. No anything. You are with a group, who also has nothing. You boat sank. Your canoe sank. Your travel guide got lost. Etc etc etc.

So..is your culture more superior than the amazon tribes that have lived in that area for thousands of years? Or are the amazons more superior because they know how to make a fire from nothing, know which plants are edible, know what frog is poisonous?

Just something to think about.

People like me, who have a wealth of experience in the outdoors would do fine. It's not the culture it is the training you undergo. What's more I can live happily in a jungle or a desert where the Amazonian indian would perish. Once again, it's not because my culture is better, it's because I am better trained.

the only real measure as to whether a culture is "superior" is if it survives. that's just the rule of nature.

most cultures try to "inflict" their values on other cultures. it is the wise individual who can recognize the good and bad in both.

as for me, i like dog culture. they seem to know how to get along with almost everyone, george clinton notwithstanding.

it's like i told my kid when he was five years human and thought the country cat who lingered around our back door would make a nice snack. as i was pickin' some fur outta his mouth and some claws outta his face i said "bow wuw wow yippee yo yippee yay" and he seemed to get it. human cultural values won't help you one single bit when you have a cat culture peep clingin' to your cheeks and orbs.

not eating the mice that the country cat left on the back porch was a whole 'nother lesson for him.

Last edited:
Imagine yourself in the amazon. No food. No water. No equipment. No anything. You are with a group, who also has nothing. You boat sank. Your canoe sank. Your travel guide got lost. Etc etc etc.

So..is your culture more superior than the amazon tribes that have lived in that area for thousands of years? Or are the amazons more superior because they know how to make a fire from nothing, know which plants are edible, know what frog is poisonous?

Just something to think about.

forget the poisonous frog. take me to the hallucinogenic frog.

the only real measure as to whether a culture is "superior" is if it survives. that's just the rule of nature.

most cultures try to "inflict" their values on other cultures. it is the wise individual who can recognise the good and bad in both.

as or me, i like dog culture. they seem to know how to get alomng with almost everyone, george clinton notwithstandng.

it's like i told my kid when he was five years human and thought the country cat who lingered around our back door would make a nice snack. as i was pickin' some fur outta his mouth and some claws outta his face i said "bow wuw wow yippee yo yippee yay" and he seemed to get it. human cultural values won't help you one single bit when you have a cat culture peep clingin' to your cheeks and orbs.

not eaating the mice that the country cat left on the back porch was a whole 'nother lesson for him.

All cultures rise and fall. Its a natural cycle. The ones rooted in intelligence and philosophy last longer than others. That doesnt take away from the basic humanity or intelligence of other cultures. It just means all the stars aligned for that culture to last for a long time

Africa got the royal flush then taught Europe how to participate in the benefits of that royal flush. I know whats in the book. I just think the dude is way off in left field trying to find his ass.

You didn't read the book. It's obvious. But no matter. My position holds that no humans are superior to others.

North Europe got the royal flush in Guns, Germs and Steel, thus the name of the book. Plus they had the "big 5". Africa got the short end of the stick.

If you ever get around to reading it, I highly recommend it and look forward to chatting about it. I agree with you Diamond is off in many of his findings. I don't use Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" as an irrefutable reference but merely as a introduction to why some cultures have faired better than others. And to dispel the notion that some people/races are superior to others.

Or, to reference the inspiration of the book, the question Diamond was asked by a tribesman: Why does your tribe have more cargo than mine?

Last edited:
Africa got the royal flush then taught Europe how to participate in the benefits of that royal flush. I know whats in the book. I just think the dude is way off in left field trying to find his ass.

You didn't read the book. It's obvious. But no matter. My position holds that no humans are superior to others.

North Europe got the royal flush in Guns, Germs and Steel, thus the name of the book. Plus they had the "big 5". Africa got the short end of the stick.

If you ever get around to reading it, I highly recommend it and look forward to chatting about it. I agree with you Diamond is off in many of his findings. I don't use Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" as an irrefutable reference but merely as a introduction to why some cultures have faired better than others. And to dispel the notion that some people/races are superior to others.

Or, to reference the inspiration of the book, the question Diamond was asked by a tribesman: Why does your tribe have more cargo than mine?

Dude was not just off in many of his findings, his whole premise is easily shot down. Its a passive aggressive attempt to establish white superiority in my view. However, if you believe i never read it then be my guest.

Dude was not just off in many of his findings, his whole premise is easily shot down. Its a passive aggressive attempt to establish white superiority in my view. However, if you believe i never read it then be my guest.

How is Northern European immunity to cow pox and swine pox developed over centuries which gave them resistance to small pox which decimated New World and African peoples construed to be "a passive aggressive attempt to establish white superiority"? That's only one of several areas Diamond points out where Northern Europeans had an advantage over the inhabitants of lands they colonized.

The biggest of all advantages of the Northern Europeans according to Diamond were what he called the big 5. Tell us why he's off base there. I think that's the only part of his book that is irrefutable.

Ah, Never mind. Cheers dude.

Last edited:

How is Northern European immunity to cow pox and swine pox developed over centuries which gave them resistance to small pox which decimated New World and African peoples construed to be "a passive aggressive attempt to establish white superiority"? That's only one of several areas Diamond points out where Northern Europeans had an advantage over the inhabitants of lands they colonized.

The biggest of all advantages of the Northern Europeans according to Diamond were what he called the big 5. Tell us why he's off base there. I think that's the only part of his book that is irrefutable.

Ah, Never mind. Cheers dude.

Thats an easy one. The earliest evidence of small pox is detected in Egyptian mummies not in any European population. Of course the new world being isolated would not have experienced it. Also Africans were among the first if not the first to domesticate cattle.

Last edited:
OK, you got me. I give up.

You're proving on every post that you didn't read a book that you said you read by posting things that are not in the book or contrary to things in the book. I referenced the book to support my position concerning the topic: Are Some Cultures Superior to Others.

My position is no. Individuals, families, tribes, cultures and onward through development are not "superior" to others. What Diamond points out in GG&S is that some have minor or vast advantages or disadvantages. Those with vast advantages have advanced over those with vast disadvantages.

The question of the thread is the term superior. Here's where my communications skills failed me. I should have pointed out earlier that successful and superior aren't the same. Northern Europeans have been vastly more successful over the last several hundred years. I don't consider that to mean they are superior. That they have been successful is based on several factors outlined in Diamond's book.

Whew. I'm done.

But just for fun, tell us what Diamond considered the big 5 (advantages). Just to show everyone you read the book.

Last edited:
OK, you got me. I give up.

You're proving on every post that you didn't read a book that you said you read by posting things that are not in the book or contrary to things in the book. I referenced the book to support my position concerning the topic: Are Some Cultures Superior to Others.

My position is no. Individuals, families, tribes, cultures and onward through development are not "superior" to others. What Diamond points out in GG&S is that some have minor or vast advantages or disadvantages. Those with vast advantages have advanced over those with vast disadvantages.

The question of the thread is the term superior. Here's where my communications skills failed me. I should have pointed out earlier that successful and superior aren't the same. Northern Europeans have been vastly more successful over the last several hundred years. I don't consider that to mean they are superior. That they have been successful is based on several factors outlined in Diamond's book.

Whew. I'm done.

But just for fun, tell us what Diamond considered the big 5 (advantages). Just to show everyone you read the book.

I dont consider you a racist or anything. You are merely misinformed as is Diamond. He may have tried to sale his idea under the guise of being observational and non racial but he simply has to have an ulterior motive. No one can be that wrong about stuff and claim innocence. The entire tone of the book is "hey other people its not your fault. White people just got the royal flush." Look up Nabta Playa for example. I dont even recall him mentioning the site.

If crime is part of culture then the blacks are far more superior to any other culture hands down.

Wrong!!! Blacks are the most peaceful of all races. Blacks are targeted because of the color of their skin!
Yep when those burglar alarms ring and the police show up, they're targets of racial bigotry! How dare all other races protect their property from motion detectors that only go off when black people are up to no good!

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back