Are Some Cultures Superior to Others?

• Total voters

Publius1787

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2011

Disclaimer: This is not a thread about race. This is a thread about culture. Although race can be an indicator of culture, I do not want this thread to end up in the race category. So please keep your remarks toward culture and not race. By race, I mean the idea of "racial superiority," i.e. genetic superiority. No, this thread is only about cultural superiority/inferiority. Please keep it that way.

Last edited:
The best novels, plays and movies come from Africa.
The best inventions that make life easier come from Africa.
The best operas, symphonies and all other kinds of music come from Africa.
The best and most just political system comes from Africa.
The best judicial system comes from Africa.
The best rock'n roll and even the best hip-hop comes from Africa.

All the best things in the worlds come from Africa.

So to answer your question, without any doubt African culture trumps all others.

If you don't believe me, just ask the Reverend Al Sharpton.

Last edited:

So to answer your question, without any doubt African culture trumps all others.

Uh, which one? That is to say, which African culture do you speak of?

Depends on what the definition of superior is.

If it's about education over primitive cultures, then no.

Amazon tribes know an awful lot about how to use the jungle plants for medicines and survival skills. They are very skilled at hunting.
Put a college educated person in there and they would die very quickly.

No need to mention any particular country. How could I? There were no African countries until the colonial powers made them.

All of those I made a reference to can be described as European.

If we were to line up, side by side, all the cultures earth has to offer and search their past history; their various inventions; their discoveries; their forms of government; their medical/health systems; their agricultural accomplishments; their literature; their educational systems; their military and military strategies; etc. then we could easily conclude that some cultures are superior to others and have been, consistently, for centuries.

Amazon tribes know an awful lot about how to use the jungle plants for medicines and survival skills. They are very skilled at hunting.

I would characterize you assessment as a backwards one. Certainly environmental factors had a role to play in cultural advancement as seen in the book Guns, Germs, and Steel. Also, the natives of the Amazon are better equipped to handle the Amazon than we. But if our culture was to come up against theirs, who would have the ability to overwhelm and dilute the other? A culture that exists simply because they are allowed to exist by superior cultures that choose not to use their influence cannot be a superior culture. Part of the definition of a superior culture must be the ability of a culture to defend itself against other cultures. A culture that cannot defend itself, or, exists simply by the very benevolence of the dominant culture, cannot be a superior one.

College-educated westerners have advanced beyond the jungle for their medicine and survival.

Millennia ago.

No need to mention any particular country. How could I? There were no African countries until the colonial powers made them.

All of those I made a reference to can be described as European.

There were indeed African kingdoms. They fought against other African kingdoms. Not all African kingdoms were equal.

In any case, each category you listed was not supported by any specifics. In other words, you made a series of claims but no evidence to support them.

No culture is superior to any other culture. Culture grows and exists to reflect and serve the people. What they are is incompatible. Sometimes so incompatible as to be impossible to coexist. Islam and the West comes to mind.

How sad you weren't being serious. The contributions of ancient Africa to our society and culture today are tremendous.

Africa's Contribution To Contemporarily Western Civilization

The 7 Natural Wonders of Africa | Africa Geographic Blog
Perhaps so, but not as significant as European contributions to African societies.

Having nothing to be proud of themselves Africa has to steal accomplishments from Egypt. Including sadly enough post Alexander Egypt.

I was going by mentality you went with technology.
So yes technology always wins.
This is what I was asking.
Just to be able to mow anyone down because of their technological ability does not make them superior mentally.
Cultures can and should be rated on the basis of their values.
Most modern medicine would never know today, the value of certain medicinal jungle plants if it weren't for their knowledge.

Last edited:

How sad you weren't being serious. The contributions of ancient Africa to our society and culture today are tremendous.

Africa's Contribution To Contemporarily Western Civilization

The 7 Natural Wonders of Africa | Africa Geographic Blog

Topography and natural wonders are hardly attributable to any people's culture, except - as a desperate last resort - when you have nothing else worthwhile.

Forum List

Back