Are Some Cultures Superior to Others?

Are Some Cultures Superior to Others?

• Total voters
I don't subscribe to the notion that all cultures are equal.

Chinese culture, for one, is an example of a truly superior culture, considering their expansive history.

The "cultural revolution" screwed much of that proud tradition up.

Chinese culture, for one, is an example of a truly superior culture, considering their expansive history.

History isn't one of my strong suits, but I've read that the Chinese understood the pharmacological value of certain roots and other plant matter... some 2,000+ years ago. I find that fascinating.

I was going by mentality you went with technology.
So yes technology always wins.
This is what I was asking.
Just to be able to mow anyone down because of their technological ability does not make them superior mentally.
Cultures can and should be rated on the basis of their values.
Most modern medicine would never know today, the value of certain medicinal jungle plants if it weren't for their knowledge.

And this has nothing to do with the idea that the culture is superior or not. Minus the bold part but I think that might have been your point though. The bold is what makes a superior or ‘lesser’ culture – values.

China is an excellent example of power not defining a superior culture. They have been conquered several times thought history. The interesting part about it though is that the conquers inevitably ended up Chinese themselves. IOW, you may mow many of the members of a culture down and then come in and take them over but if their culture is so superior to your own – you will simply integrate into it.

The superiority of a culture is not about who is stronger. Certainly a powerful and good culture will tend to make your nation more powerful and prosperous but that is a RESULT of good and superior culture not a requirement for it.

As for the OP, I find the question rather silly as asked tbh. I think it would be a given that not all cultures are the same. A culture that tolerates slavery and objectifies women certainly is not to be considered equal with one that espouses equality and freedom. That should be blatantly obvious.

Perhaps so, but not as significant as European contributions to African societies.

Having nothing to be proud of themselves Africa has to steal accomplishments from Egypt. Including sadly enough post Alexander Egypt.

Umm...Egypt is in Africa.

Egypt is in North Africa and a very different people than the natives of sub Saharan Africa. Fortunately the Egyptian left plenty of evidence as to what they were like so no one can make it up as they go along.

History isn't one of my strong suits, but I've read that the Chinese understood the pharmacological value of certain roots and other plant matter... some 2,000+ years ago. I find that fascinating.

They were also the first to domesticate and graft trees. Indeed, they created the apple as we know it today. Apple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can read all about it in this book. Guns, Germs, and Steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do cultures have a purpose? Are the purposes different?

One without a culture is a person without values. Even a group of individuals who acknowledge that everyone is different in their own uniqueness subscribe to an individualist culture. Cultures do have a purpose. For example, where do you think our laws come from? Our values. Do you think we would tolerate someone who wants to bring Sharia Law into our system of government? Why not? Because culturally we believe in a secular law. Cultures bind us together under a common system and protect us from other cultures who don't share our beliefs.

Last edited:
The first rule of sociology is that all cultures are equal.

As far as material goods, strategic geography, and natural resources, the US has an advantage over all other nations...

The first rule of sociology is that all cultures are equal.

As far as material goods, strategic geography, and natural resources, the US has an advantage over all other nations...

They tell you that so you don't lose your job. Indeed, a sociologist who says otherwise soon finds himself an ex-sociologist. It's good advice, but, the facts don't adhere to social pressure. There is no such thing as equal among cultures.

Last edited:
, egocentrism, and racism
Having nothing to be proud of themselves Africa has to steal accomplishments from Egypt. Including sadly enough post Alexander Egypt.

Umm...Egypt is in Africa.

Egypt is in North Africa and a very different people than the natives of sub Saharan Africa. Fortunately the Egyptian left plenty of evidence as to what they were like so no one can make it up as they go along.

Jungles are a bad place to grow western civilization...Ugly American Pub dupes...ignorance, ego-centrism, and racism is good.:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
It's like Anglo-Americans, so proud of their superior character, sitting behind miles of water protecting them from enemies, with all kinds of advantages in natural resources ...-Charles DeGaulle. lol

Forum List

Back