Are Some Cultures Superior to Others?

• Total voters
The OP raises endless questions, starting with the very definition of "superior". We can get all academic or philisophical or spiritual and still end up with the exact same conceptions we started with. And regardless of the OP request to keep "race" out of the discussion it's obvious some posters just have that natural ideational set where race influences all notions of "superiority". So although the topic is engrossing I'm going to beg off getting real serious about it, I just don't have the time.

I did think this video was cute though and just might raise some thought on the Asian approach to education. Maybe a Friday night giggle for you if nothing else.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uYtjT3jhw4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uYtjT3jhw4[/ame]

The premise of this thread is a subjective question to which there can only be subjective answers.

Gays would, for example, swear that their CULTure where their messiah buggered teen boys on drugs was superior and should overtake "old fashioned christian prude values".

Christians would see gays buggering teen boys [or wanting to, or choosing a Messiah as representative of their sexual values who loved to] as "insane".

It's all a matter of perspective.

Disclaimer: This is not a thread about race. This is a thread about culture. Although race can be an indicator of culture, I do not want this thread to end up in the race category. So please keep your remarks toward culture and not race. By race, I mean the idea of "racial superiority," i.e. genetic superiority. No, this thread is only about cultural superiority/inferiority. Please keep it that way.

What is you mean by "superior"? In all things/some things/?

It's all relative. You cannot say objectively what is superior. It is an abstract idea and is subjective. What one finds superior in a culture another may not. You cannot definitively say what comprises as 'superior' culture, so you cannot determine if one culture is superior to another. Assuming your culture is superior has a name: ethnocentrism.

eth·no·cen·trism noun
1. Sociology . the belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture.
2. a tendency to view alien groups or cultures from the perspective of one's own.

This is what you folks are engaging in.

You can compare a primitive tribe in the dense rain forest of the Amazon and a culture in Western Europe; however, you cannot determine which is superior because any determination is based on subjective thinking.

Last edited:
BS- Diamond himself says that history shows us the luck of the draw in climate, plants, animals, geography and natural resources is what counts.

Yes. But should we tolerate population growth in traditional cultures which were built prior to modern medicine and have traditions that encourage excessive children? Shouldn't we try to change those cultures since they no longer require the same traditions for the old geographic norms?
Excessive children? WTF? The white population is falling and they are blaming other races (cultures)

BS- Diamond himself says that history shows us the luck of the draw in climate, plants, animals, geography and natural resources is what counts.

How many times am I going to run across these morons who can't think for themselves and believe in absolutes? The question is how much does culture count in a time when environmental barriers are less of an issue. Something tells me you did not read a word of what I wrote.

Forum List

Back