*Are we doomed?

Yeah. And they won't stay off my lawn. Little bastards. Why, in my day....

The more things change, the more they stay the same. In 40 years, those little punks will be complaining about how the younger generation have no respect for their elders.

Today, there is not a sentiment that the next generation does not respect their elders. Now the problem is that they do not expect to have to work and instead believe that things are owed to them. You tell me which one of those has real impact within the economy…

It is not the same as before. These people do not believe that they need to work and the government seems more and more amenable to ensuring that they never have to.

It is exactly the same as before. You're just seeing it from the other side now. As to impact, our current economy is the result of our impact. Do you really think the next generation can do any worse?

No, it’s not. That blanket claim is bullshit. This is not about respect, this is about the new system of raising kids where they are entitled to the word, where self-esteem is far more important than learning to overcome and deal with loss or defeat. It is asinine what we do these days and if you are too blind to even understand what the difference is then you are lost.

You are mixing 2 unrelated concepts here; the idea that the older generation looks on the younger generation as pompous and irresponsible and a concept that has nothing to do with that; the drift of the next generation from what I need to do to what am I owed.

There is no way that you would EVER hear a president say this in recent years:
“ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

That would be political suicide today. Now it is only about what YOU can get or what YOU are owed by the government.

Today, there is not a sentiment that the next generation does not respect their elders. Now the problem is that they do not expect to have to work and instead believe that things are owed to them. You tell me which one of those has real impact within the economy…

It is not the same as before. These people do not believe that they need to work and the government seems more and more amenable to ensuring that they never have to.

It is exactly the same as before. You're just seeing it from the other side now. As to impact, our current economy is the result of our impact. Do you really think the next generation can do any worse?

No, it’s not. That blanket claim is bullshit. This is not about respect, this is about the new system of raising kids where they are entitled to the word, where self-esteem is far more important than learning to overcome and deal with loss or defeat. It is asinine what we do these days and if you are too blind to even understand what the difference is then you are lost.

You are mixing 2 unrelated concepts here; the idea that the older generation looks on the younger generation as pompous and irresponsible and a concept that has nothing to do with that; the drift of the next generation from what I need to do to what am I owed.

There is no way that you would EVER hear a president say this in recent years:
“ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

That would be political suicide today. Now it is only about what YOU can get or what YOU are owed by the government.

If I don't agree with you then all is lost? Well then, all is lost because you are sooooo wrong. My kids aren't that way and my grandkids aren'y that way. I think the new generation coming up is just as able as ours ever was and the new one after them will be just as good if not better.

BTW... a president did pretty much use that same sentiment you quoted. He said that the business someone built wasn't done in a vacuum and owed a lot to the community. That did indeed get a lot of negative reaction. But not political suicide though. Because while there certainly are a lot of self-centered people around who only care about themselves, they really aren't a majority. They just tend to be noisy.

*Are we doomed?
“When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion—when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing—when you see money flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors—when you see that men get richer by graft and pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you—when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice—you may know that your society is doomed.” – Ayn Rand

When I see whats coming out of our universities I say yes. Spoiled little brats with their faces pierced, and cool tattoos that their mommy's bought them as rewards for graduating high school who never had to struggle or work for anything. Nothing buy whiny little bitches. They are the future of America.

I lold. You see what you choose to see. I've been working since I was 15 years old and am waiting outside of my genetics lab...there are about 100 of us here now...and not one cool tattoo do I see. Im also on scholarship, and still work a a full time co-op. Your ignorance is hilarious.

And yeah we are totally doomed. For more reasons than one. In a worldly view...any humanlike civilization that has ever existed in the universe probably destroyed themselves in a relatively short amount of time after discovering the atom.

All it takes is one dumbass.

Last edited:
Old Rocks "Anytime I see someone quoting Ayn Rand, I know we have another fruitloop on board"

Wow, that some rebuttal to the quote I posted. Are you always so intellectual? lol

*Are we doomed?
“When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion—when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing—when you see money flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors—when you see that men get richer by graft and pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you—when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice—you may know that your society is doomed.” – Ayn Rand

When I see whats coming out of our universities I say yes. Spoiled little brats with their faces pierced, and cool tattoos that their mommy's bought them as rewards for graduating high school who never had to struggle or work for anything. Nothing buy whiny little bitches. They are the future of America.

I lold. You see what you choose to see. I've been working since I was 15 years old and am waiting outside of my genetics lab...there are about 100 of us here now...and not one cool tattoo do I see. Im also on scholarship, and still work a a full time co-op. Your ignorance is hilarious.

You sound a lot like the young engineers I work with. I'm sure it's hard for some of the crotchety old farts on these boards to think that young people today have worked so hard on learning incredibly difficult material. Kudos for sticking with it.

Forum List

Back