Arrested for jaywalking and not producing id while jogging....

Pigs were probably set up at a doughnut shop and decided to start harassing people for kicks.

To me, this just doesn't look like government serving the interests of the general public.

Change the freaking law if you don't like it.

I suspect that there will be an issue of selective enforcement, because it appears the police used this as a money making scheme. Did they really do this to protect the general public?

We could keep the laws, but apply them when people actually create traffic problems, or use it as a defense if the jaywalker gets injured. Maybe you like the idea of arresting jay walker, but most people don't.

I wouldn't be surprised that in a few months, the Chief of Police resigns over this. The corruption of the police far outweighed any infraction by that young girl, and everyone knows it, now that it has gone viral.

I suspect that there will be an issue of selective enforcement, because it appears the police used this as a money making scheme.

Correct. That's exactly what it's about.

Did they really do this to protect the general public?

No

I wouldn't be surprised that in a few months, the Chief of Police resigns over this.

:lol: I think you're very naive.

The corruption of the police far outweighed any infraction by that young girl, and everyone knows it, now that it has gone viral.

I imagine she'll be filing a lawsuit in the next few months.

Where did this happen. NY is so strapped for cash Di Blasio said there would be zero tolerance for jaywalking.

FAT pigs.

Their chance to cop a feel, no doubt.

Think I'm kidding?

The hell I am.

Change the freaking law if you don't like it.

Actually, in New York, you are not required to carry ID, and you don’t have to show ID to a police officer.

Are you suggesting this woman was arrested for Jaywalking? You cool with that?

And how about this, if one crosses a street without causing any inconvenience to vehicles (maybe cause there are no cars currently on that street), do you think it reasonable they should be cited for jaywalking? In such cases, they've hurt no one nor have they taken what doesn't belong to them. The jaywalker hasn't so much inconvenienced another! They certainly haven't infringed on the rights of another...but government should be able to cite them?

Have to provide identification everywhere, maybe not with physical ID cards, but if detained by police, you have to be abl to prove who you are. Be it memorized ID number, SSN, etc. but something verifying your identity is required.

Where did this happen. NY is so strapped for cash Di Blasio said there would be zero tolerance for jaywalking.

Di Blasio was just caught on video/photo jay walking. But he is above the law after all he was heading to an important meeting at his gym.

Have to provide identification everywhere, maybe not with physical ID cards, but if detained by police, you have to be abl to prove who you are. Be it memorized ID number, SSN, etc. but something verifying your identity is required.

Except to vote that is.

No id, off to the gulag.

They have over reached themselves. It will be dismissed, and they will look foolish and money grubbing. People do not carry ID when they go jogging.

Not entirely correct. In New York, you're not allowed to lie about who you are, but you're under no obligation to tell the police who you are until you are actually cited for something. Being "detained" doesn't require an ID or self identification.

Once you're issued a summons or arrested, you are required to tell the officers who you are. You're still not required to produce and ID. The police may detain you until you can be positively identified only after issuing that summons and only if you refuse to state who you are.

The police are saying that this woman failed to tell them who she was after being cited and that's why she was arrested.

I say she should have never been cited in the first place. Jaywalking should only be a punishable offense if one actually causes disruption to drivers. That apparently wasn't the case here as the witness stated "the cops were kind of just hanging out on the corner giving citation after citation".

And the idea she resisted because she didn't hear them teller her to stop? That's complete bullshit. By that reasoning, cops should be able to arrest any deaf person.

The cops SHOULD have better things to do than this dirty little quota filling, revenue enhancing scheme on citizens that have not infringed on another's rights.

Forum List

Back