As California wildfires spread, zeroing in on a possible culprit.....

what should be done is put the lines underground....

Yanno Harry, that is something that my roomie and I have said for years. And, if they buried it in concrete or heavy plastic conduit, there wouldn't be any problems with shocking those above ground.

Matter of fact, we've said that after every major hurricane, tornado and wildfire. If the power lines were buried, they wouldn't have as much of a chance of being affected by the weather. Would also help in the northern states where they lose power lines because of ice storms.

That's been thought of decades ago though and proved impractical.
Rain storms, wind, ice yes --- earthquakes not so much.

Tesla's wireless power transmission scheme would have worked....
we never lost power were i was at during a quake,even after the 6.7 one back in 94.....

The idea is ---- what happens to those power lines during an earthquake if they're underground.

That's one drawback among many. It seems like a simple solution to run lines underground but it isn't. I don't remember all the technical challenges but if it were that simple it would have been universal by now.

what should be done is put the lines underground....

Yanno Harry, that is something that my roomie and I have said for years. And, if they buried it in concrete or heavy plastic conduit, there wouldn't be any problems with shocking those above ground.

Matter of fact, we've said that after every major hurricane, tornado and wildfire. If the power lines were buried, they wouldn't have as much of a chance of being affected by the weather. Would also help in the northern states where they lose power lines because of ice storms.

That's been thought of decades ago though and proved impractical.
Rain storms, wind, ice yes --- earthquakes not so much.

Tesla's wireless power transmission scheme would have worked....
we never lost power were i was at during a quake,even after the 6.7 one back in 94.....

The idea is ---- what happens to those power lines during an earthquake if they're underground.

That's one drawback among many. It seems like a simple solution to run lines underground but it isn't. I don't remember all the technical challenges but if it were that simple it would have been universal by now.
much of S.Cal is underground,especially the newer areas....the conduits they run them through are flexible.....and like i said i have been through many an earthquake from simple 4 pointers,lots of 5 pointers and some 6's all the way to 6.7....never lost power....

Forum List

Back