As California wildfires spread, zeroing in on a possible culprit.....

You know, I thought it was kinda ridiculous for the power company to shut off power to a whole bunch of their customers, while leaving the power on for a different line.

The one they left on is what caused the fires, and the one they left on didn't go to any customers.

They did that because their line caused that Paradise fire last year (the one we did a crowdfunding for Gracie here) and the liability lawsuits bankrupted them.

No

PG&E lines did NOT cause the Paradise fire.

They might have added to the fire - the cause was dead untrimmed brush due to environmentalist activities - gonna kill the beetle habitat,ya know.

PG&E is not in bankruptcy.

What I do find entertaining is The Gove calls a State of Emergency and gets billions of dollars from the Fed Gov.
At the same time the State of Cali Fines PG&E billions more....

Where does all this money go?

I'm still working with people that need permanent relocation ... not to mention the hundreds of kitties that need to be rehomed.

Where is the money, NEWSOM?

Divert it for union pensions or his choo choo train?

PG&E Clearcuts Power Lines
Though some vegetation trimming and line clearances are required by law, these new cutting plans far exceed those requirements. As PG&E itself states, “The California Public Utilities Commission requires PG&E maintain at least a 4-foot clearance between vegetation and power lines in high fire-threat areas year-round to help ensure electric reliability and public safety.” Under their new program, PG&E wants to enlist property owner consent to voluntarily remove all vegetation to a distance of 15 feet from each side of the power lines in the affected zones, and extend the clearing down to one foot above the ground.

PG&E owns more than 100,000 miles of transmission lines, which it regularly inspects and maintains by cutting and trimming trees. With the planned clear cut width of 30 feet, the path of destruction could be considerable.

PG&E Clearcuts Power Lines
Though some vegetation trimming and line clearances are required by law, these new cutting plans far exceed those requirements. As PG&E itself states, “The California Public Utilities Commission requires PG&E maintain at least a 4-foot clearance between vegetation and power lines in high fire-threat areas year-round to help ensure electric reliability and public safety.” Under their new program, PG&E wants to enlist property owner consent to voluntarily remove all vegetation to a distance of 15 feet from each side of the power lines in the affected zones, and extend the clearing down to one foot above the ground.

PG&E owns more than 100,000 miles of transmission lines, which it regularly inspects and maintains by cutting and trimming trees. With the planned clear cut width of 30 feet, the path of destruction could be considerable.
The environmentalists will never let it happen.

60 to 70 mph winds can move dried up tree limbs further than 4 feet. PG & E is trying to widen this because they are tired of getting sued by the State and enviro wackoes.

They are trying to clear 30 foot from transmission lines now......of course the enviro nut cases will block it.

Then sue them tomorrow for transmission lines that ignite the trees.

PG & E has 2 Options.........

1. Get beaten by a stick for fires because trees are too close.
2. Get beaten by a stick for trying to widen the right of way to stop the fires.

Either way.......in Cali.............they are screwed......

You know, I thought it was kinda ridiculous for the power company to shut off power to a whole bunch of their customers, while leaving the power on for a different line.

The one they left on is what caused the fires, and the one they left on didn't go to any customers.

They did that because their line caused that Paradise fire last year (the one we did a crowdfunding for Gracie here) and the liability lawsuits bankrupted them.

No

They might have added to the fire - the cause was dead untrimmed brush due to environmentalist activities - gonna kill the beetle habitat,ya know.

What I do find entertaining is The Gove calls a State of Emergency and gets billions of dollars from the Fed Gov.

I'm still working with people that need permanent relocation ... not to mention the hundreds of kitties that need to be rehomed.

Divert it for union pensions or his choo choo train?

Both!

No

Do your research before you post.

New California Wildfire Unsettles PG&E Bankruptcy

It's a paywall but the headline tells the story.

More....

>> Pacific Gas and Electric, California’s largest utility, serving more than 16 million people, filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday [this article is from last January] because it is facing tens of billions of dollars in liability for wildfires. The company’s equipment could be responsible for causing wildfires that killed dozens of people, destroyed thousands of homes and resulted in billions of dollars in damage over the past few years.

.... Equipment owned and maintained by the utility sparked at least 17 of the 21 major wildfires that burned through California in 2017, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, making the company responsible for some of the damage that resulted. << NYT

Fires from the power lines are not due to PG & E neglect.............they are getting smacked by trees in high winds................then after getting bashed by a tree over and over again the insulators get beat the hell up and some nut goes ............PG ^ E caused this ...............LET'S SUE.............

I'm an electrician.............there isn't a dang way you can stop power lines from getting damaged while being smacked by trees..........The insulators are dang ceramics for the most part......

Then the power company cuts more trees.........GETS SUED ANYWAYS.............

I think they should sell out and let Cali have the grid.............No winning there.

I'd have to find it, but proper tree numbers should be 40 trees per acre..........California FAR EXCEEDS THAT NUMBER..........and helps cause the infernoes when lit.

The ROADLESS ACT is another stupid law that prevents the U.S. Forest service to even build roads into forests to build fire breaks and do controlled burns.......

What is the end result..............A State burning to the ground as mother nature gives a taste of REALITY to the liberal wacks in California.

Learn or burn California.

what should be done is put the lines underground....

Yanno Harry, that is something that my roomie and I have said for years. And, if they buried it in concrete or heavy plastic conduit, there wouldn't be any problems with shocking those above ground.

Matter of fact, we've said that after every major hurricane, tornado and wildfire. If the power lines were buried, they wouldn't have as much of a chance of being affected by the weather. Would also help in the northern states where they lose power lines because of ice storms.

No

Do your research before you post.

New California Wildfire Unsettles PG&E Bankruptcy

It's a paywall but the headline tells the story.

More....

>> Pacific Gas and Electric, California’s largest utility, serving more than 16 million people, filed for bankruptcy protection on Tuesday [this article is from last January] because it is facing tens of billions of dollars in liability for wildfires. The company’s equipment could be responsible for causing wildfires that killed dozens of people, destroyed thousands of homes and resulted in billions of dollars in damage over the past few years.

.... Equipment owned and maintained by the utility sparked at least 17 of the 21 major wildfires that burned through California in 2017, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, making the company responsible for some of the damage that resulted. << NYT

Stop.

I live here.

In fact over the past 48 hours had to evacuate patients to the Chico area due to power outages and high winds.

Yanno Harry, that is something that my roomie and I have said for years. And, if they buried it in concrete or heavy plastic conduit, there wouldn't be any problems with shocking those above ground.

Matter of fact, we've said that after every major hurricane, tornado and wildfire. If the power lines were buried, they wouldn't have as much of a chance of being affected by the weather. Would also help in the northern states where they lose power lines because of ice storms.

That's been thought of decades ago though and proved impractical.
Rain storms, wind, ice yes --- earthquakes not so much.

Tesla's wireless power transmission scheme would have worked....

were i lived in Anaheim the lines were underground and in parts of the city that were not yet underground,they would sometimes lose power in a good thunder storm while in the underground parts,no problems....

That's been thought of decades ago though and proved impractical.
Rain storms, wind, ice yes --- earthquakes not so much.

Tesla's wireless power transmission scheme would have worked....
we never lost power were i was at during a quake,even after the 6.7 one back in 94.....

Forum List

Back