Assassinating American Citizens ... for or against?

Are you in favor of America's policy of assassinating its citizens?

• Yes

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
Charlotte Lawyer Calls US Airstrike in Yemen Illegal

Attorney Jim Gronquist calls the targeted airstrike a violation of both national and international law.

He says, “We have become what the terrorists were."

The former ACLU attorney says regardless of affiliation or deed Awlaki & Khan were entitled to due process, “We're not doing anything differently than killing people off without giving them fair trial."
Charlotte Lawyer Calls US Airstrike in Yemen Illegal | Charlotte News | Weather | Carolina Panthers | Bobcats | FOX Charlotte | Local News
Oh whatever! :rolleyes:

Proof positive you can find someone to say anything you need to 'prove' your point. The fact he's a lawyer means about as chicken shit on a pump handle.

I imagine the family members will be talking with the ACLU.

The Justification: How does the U.S. government have the right to target for killing a U.S. citizen?

Some of his career lowlights, according to the U.S. government, include the following operations:

* The U.S . government claims that Awlaki has tried to obtain weapons of mass destruction – specifically poisons such as cyanide and ricin – for use in attacking Westerners.

* Awlaki specifically directed Umar Faruq Abdulmutallab in December 2009 to detonate the “underwear” bomb on board a Christmas Day Northwest Airlines flight to Detroit. The government said that Awlaki told Abdulmutallab to detonate the bomb while over U.S. airspace so as to maximize casualties.

* In October 2010, AQAP attempted to explode two U.S. cargo planes by detonating explosives hidden in ink cartridges mailed to synagogues in Chicago. The U.S. government said that Awlaki directly supervised this failed terrorist plot.

* In 2010, Awlaki communicated with Rajib Karim, then a British airlines worker, seeking a way to get a bomb aboard a plane at Heathrow Airport. Karim was convicted in March 2011 in a British court on terrorism charges, and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

The U.S. government also said Awlaki incited terrorism:

* In a May 2010 interview with “Al Qaeda Media,” Awlaki said he supported operations such as the failed Christmas Day bombing even though they target innocent civilians.

“With regard to the issue of ‘civilians,’ this term has become prevalent these days, but I prefer to use the terms employed by our jurisprudents. They classify people as either combatants or noncombatants,” he said. “My message to the Muslims in general, and to those in the Arabian Peninsula in particular, is that we should participate in this jihad against America.”

Awlaki said attacks against U.S .service members, such as those shot by Lt. Nidal Hasan, were perfectly valid: “How can we possibly oppose an operation like Nidal Hasan’s? He killed American soldiers on their way to Afghanistan and Iraq. Who could possibly oppose this?”

* The U.S. government blames Awlaki for “inspiring” terrorist attacks against the U.S., including Fort Hood shooter Hasan – who emailed with him, having attended some of Awlaki’s sermons in Virginia. Failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad claimed to have been “inspired by” Awlaki.

* In March 2010, Awlaki said in an audio message that “America is evil” and called for violence against the U.S. “With the American invasion of Iraq and continued U.S. aggression against Muslims, I could not reconcile between living in the U.S. and being a Muslim, and I eventually came to the conclusion that jihad against America is binding upon myself just as it is binding on every other Muslim,” he said.

* Awlaki wrote several articles for INSPIRE magazine, published by AQAP, to justify terrorist attacks.

The U.S. government also notes that in January a Yemeni court sentenced Awlaki in absentia to ten years in prison for “forming an armed gang” to target foreigners and law enforcement personnel.

The U.S. Case Against Awlaki - ABC News
So the police can now target L.A. gang bangers because they are terrorist. They kill people

The Justification: How does the U.S. government have the right to target for killing a U.S. citizen?

Some of his career lowlights, according to the U.S. government, include the following operations:

* The U.S . government claims that Awlaki has tried to obtain weapons of mass destruction – specifically poisons such as cyanide and ricin – for use in attacking Westerners.

* Awlaki specifically directed Umar Faruq Abdulmutallab in December 2009 to detonate the “underwear” bomb on board a Christmas Day Northwest Airlines flight to Detroit. The government said that Awlaki told Abdulmutallab to detonate the bomb while over U.S. airspace so as to maximize casualties.

* In October 2010, AQAP attempted to explode two U.S. cargo planes by detonating explosives hidden in ink cartridges mailed to synagogues in Chicago. The U.S. government said that Awlaki directly supervised this failed terrorist plot.

* In 2010, Awlaki communicated with Rajib Karim, then a British airlines worker, seeking a way to get a bomb aboard a plane at Heathrow Airport. Karim was convicted in March 2011 in a British court on terrorism charges, and sentenced to 30 years in prison.

* In a May 2010 interview with “Al Qaeda Media,” Awlaki said he supported operations such as the failed Christmas Day bombing even though they target innocent civilians.

“With regard to the issue of ‘civilians,’ this term has become prevalent these days, but I prefer to use the terms employed by our jurisprudents. They classify people as either combatants or noncombatants,” he said. “My message to the Muslims in general, and to those in the Arabian Peninsula in particular, is that we should participate in this jihad against America.”

Awlaki said attacks against U.S .service members, such as those shot by Lt. Nidal Hasan, were perfectly valid: “How can we possibly oppose an operation like Nidal Hasan’s? He killed American soldiers on their way to Afghanistan and Iraq. Who could possibly oppose this?”

* The U.S. government blames Awlaki for “inspiring” terrorist attacks against the U.S., including Fort Hood shooter Hasan – who emailed with him, having attended some of Awlaki’s sermons in Virginia. Failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad claimed to have been “inspired by” Awlaki.

* In March 2010, Awlaki said in an audio message that “America is evil” and called for violence against the U.S. “With the American invasion of Iraq and continued U.S. aggression against Muslims, I could not reconcile between living in the U.S. and being a Muslim, and I eventually came to the conclusion that jihad against America is binding upon myself just as it is binding on every other Muslim,” he said.

* Awlaki wrote several articles for INSPIRE magazine, published by AQAP, to justify terrorist attacks.

The U.S. government also notes that in January a Yemeni court sentenced Awlaki in absentia to ten years in prison for “forming an armed gang” to target foreigners and law enforcement personnel.

YEMEN managed to try and convict him in absentia but we could not ... would not ....

So the police can now target L.A. gang bangers because they are terrorist. They kill people

So this post won't be over looked or forgotten I'll quote it again

Charlotte Lawyer Calls US Airstrike in Yemen Illegal

Attorney Jim Gronquist calls the targeted airstrike a violation of both national and international law.

He says, “We have become what the terrorists were."

The former ACLU attorney says regardless of affiliation or deed Awlaki & Khan were entitled to due process, “We're not doing anything differently than killing people off without giving them fair trial."
Charlotte Lawyer Calls US Airstrike in Yemen Illegal | Charlotte News | Weather | Carolina Panthers | Bobcats | FOX Charlotte | Local News

Proof positive you can find someone to say anything you need to 'prove' your point. The fact he's a lawyer means about as chicken shit on a pump handle.

Yet another example then of what's wrong with this nation. You're kid's a traitor and you demand compensation for his death????

disgusting.

Yet another example then of what's wrong with this nation. You're kid's a traitor and you demand compensation for his death????

disgusting.

Their kid is an American citizen no matter what he has done is still protected by the Constitution period.

How abouit those L.A. gang bangers should the police shoot them on sight because an informate gave the police intell of something they may have done? After all they are in the true sense terrorist and they kill people, and we still have that war on drugs thing going on.

:lol: So let me know if that happens la la la and then we'll talk...

disgusting.

Their kid is an American citizen no matter what he has done is still protected by the Constitution period.

How abouit those L.A. gang bangers should the police shoot them on sight because an informate gave the police intell of something they may have done? After all they are in the true sense terrorist and they kill people, and we still have that war on drugs thing going on.
If those gangbangers are doing the cop killing in the theater of battle, then of course they're fair game. It is a WAR over there. American due process is suspended in a war zone. I never thought we'd be on the opposite sides of a discussion Bigreb. So needless to say, I'm surprised you're siding with Code Pink on this one.

I'm for killing terrorists after a warrant for their arrest has been issued and ample time for them to turn themselves in has passed.
All this without a trial first? Hmmm..........read the constitution and learn how this country is suppose to be run.
Even the Geneva convention doesn't cover terrorists. So why should US judicial process? They are enemy combatants abroad, not criminals, unless you want to talk about war crimes. Even then, they are fair game for assassination as enemy combatants.

disgusting.

If those gangbangers are doing the cop killing in the theater of battle, then of course they're fair game. It is a WAR over there. American due process is suspended in a war zone. I never thought we'd be on the opposite sides of a discussion Bigreb. So needless to say, I'm surprised you're siding with Code Pink on this one.

OH no doesn't work that way. Those gang bangers are standing on the street minding thier own bussniess but an informat give the police some intell that they were involved in a murder or bank robbry. With what just happen it's gives the police presidence to kill without arresting.

disgusting.

Yemen is not a warzone.

I'm for killing terrorists after a warrant for their arrest has been issued and ample time for them to turn themselves in has passed.
All this without a trial first? Hmmm..........read the constitution and learn how this country is suppose to be run.
Even the Geneva convention doesn't cover terrorists. So why should US judicial process? They are enemy combatants abroad, not criminals, unless you want to talk about war crimes. Even then, they are fair game for assassination as enemy combatants.

Oops, wrong again.

According to SCOTUS terrorists are criminals.

Yemen is not a warzone.
Nor is Pakistan. But we still keep killing terrorists there too. KNOWN terrorists. Admitted terrorists. You've obviously mistaken me as someone who gives a fuck about splitting hairs over the imagined rights of our enemies and traitors.

Nixon had to bomb in cambodia to stop the Viet Cong from bringing supplies to their troops in country. Why do you expect terrorists to respect the rules of war when they violate almost every one of them to begin with? They are not entitled to, nor should receive any civilized protections that civilized nations give each other in war.

Unlike you, I get the fact that if you admit you assisted in trying to kill innocent Americans or have been shown to be a part of the plot, you effectively are a traitor and deserve death on sight. You're not going to change my mind on this one.

It was not a criminal matter. We don't try leaders of the enemy any more because they happen to have been born in the United States than we'd try a fuckwad like Goebbels.

We don't look to "convict" the enemy in Courts of law. We look to defeat them in war.

Our Constitution does not apply to any person who is waging war against us. Such a person is not covered by the 5th or 6th Amendment. The reality is much more basic and stark. The enemy in war has a right to die at our hands. Period.

Wow.

You trust a politician who is trying to establish himself as a force to be reckoned with to decide which American citizens are enemies and sentence them to death without charges or trial?

Wow wow wow.

You have totally missed the point of the Bill of Rights.

No. You have totally missed the point of the Constitution.

It is there to limit the authority of government. It is not now -- and never was -- intended to be a suicide pact. I know. I read the Court decision that said so.

The notion that we would be obligated to have the JUDICIAL Branch of government tell us when we may and when we may not attack a leader of the enemy at war with us is so absurd as to require people who "get" the point of the Constitution to sadly shake their heads.

All your "wows" don't change any of that.

The COURTS are limited in the scope of their Constitutional authority. And deciding the conduct of war, by and large, is not within their purview.
Great post. Incoming.

:lol:

Is that the best answer you can give? Surely you can do better.

OK then my answer is no, no they can't.

Yes...they can't...

Is LA officially a war zone and are gangbangers recognized as REAL terrorists?

Is LA officially a war zone and are gangbangers recognized as REAL terrorists?

IMG_7299.JPG

Forum List

Back