Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
Well this is a new development. May I recommend Immodium AD extra strength for our liberals?

Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill
By Kasie Hunt, Political Reporter, NBC News

A ban on assault weapons won't be included in major gun legislation set to take shape this week -- all but guaranteeing it won't pass Congress.

Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a onetime ally of the National Rifle Association, informed California Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Monday that the proposal to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines won't be included in a broad package of new gun laws that's taking shape this week and will be considered on the Senate floor in April.

"People say well, are you disappointed? Obviously I'm disappointed," Feinstein told reporters Tuesday. Feinstein has worked on gun violence issues for decades.

The move waters down President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden’s push for broad new gun control in the wake of the shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that killed 20 schoolchildren and six adults.

More at link::eusa_angel:

Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill - First Read

Sorry about the delay. Here's more:

Despite renewed support for gun control after the massacre, the assault weapons ban was never expected to pass Congress. It's considered politically toxic even for Democratic senators from rural states -- especially for those who are facing re-election in 2016. And the White House is looking for a concrete set of accomplishments on the issue, not just doomed legislative stand.

Leaders are now considering how to shape the larger package and plan to release their bill this week. On the table are a bill to broaden background checks for gun buyers, a school safety measure and legislation to make gun trafficking and straw purchasing a felony punishable by up to 25 years in prison.

The focus now is on background checks. Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., has been meeting with Republican senators in an attempt to hammer out a compromise to require all buyers to get a background check before they buy a gun. Talks with Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., stalled after they couldn't agree on whether private sellers should have to keep records of their transactions.

The gun trafficking and school safety bills were both approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee with bipartisan support

Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill - First Read

This is what I've been saying from day one.

I think the pearl-clutching "they're coming to take our guns" Conservatives are the ones looking like fools right now.

I think the pearl-clutching "they're coming to take our guns" Conservatives are the ones looking like fools right now.
That's right!

I knew from day one when they said "We want to Ban Semi-Autos" that what they really meant was "We don't wanna' ban semi-autos".

In fact Dianne Feinstein probably KNEW it would fail so it would set a precedent in Congress and discourage other Gun Ban Legislation from being introduced by anyone else.

Sen Diane Feinstein, 2nd Amendment Defender and Gun Rights Champion!

Only cuz they can't get the votes yet......yet.

Wait till 2014.

And if that doesn't work they'll just make it soes nobody can pass a background check.

That's right!

I knew from day one when they said "We want to Ban Semi-Autos" that what they really meant was "We don't wanna' ban semi-autos".

In fact Dianne Feinstein probably KNEW it would fail so it would set a precedent in Congress and discourage other Gun Ban Legislation from being introduced by anyone else.

Sen Diane Feinstein, 2nd Amendment Defender and Gun Rights Champion!

Whether or not "they" "mean it" is another discussion entirely - and irrelevant.

The fact is that it never had a chance of passing, no matter what particularly shrill member of Congress may or may not really want.

Only cuz they can't get the votes yet......yet.

Wait till 2014.

And if that doesn't work they'll just make it soes nobody can pass a background check.

Who is "they"?

Poor, poor suckers who went out and bought exorbitantly priced "assault weapons" because they believed the lie. Now, they're stuck with thousands of weapons they'll take a loss on.

See what happens when you blindly buy the propaganda?

Hmmmmm. Reckon I could now pick up a good AR-15 or AK-47 for a decent price?

I've been telling all the right wing rednecks to calm the f**k down about the gun stuff, it never had a chance. But oh Lord no, they went into mass panic, talked about revolting and succession, brought Hitler's corpse out of the grave, and spent all their kid's food money on all the bird shot left at Wal-Mart....cuz you know, thats all that was left, and Obama's gurrna comes in takes yee guns!!!! YEEEEHAW!!!!

Poor, poor suckers who went out and bought exorbitantly priced "assault weapons" because they believed the lie. Now, they're stuck with thousands of weapons they'll take a loss on.

Or at least find ammo for a reasonable price – or find some types of ammo at all.

Unfortunately it will likely be this time next year before we return to some form of normal.

Seriously. Talk about morons. I bought my Rock River AR for about $800 back in 2006. Got offered $2500 for it a month ago. Didnt sell it, because well, I just love that gun!

But, how many rednecks spent all their savings and their kids college money on a shitload of guns and ammo....for nothing. Now, in 12-18 months, all the supply wil be back, prices will plummet (because everyone already stocked up, no one will need to buy for a year or two). They'll see the same gun they dropped $3,000 on for about $800. Theyll see boxes of 5.56 ammo that they dropped $45 a box on .......for $10 a box at WalMart in a year.

Fucking idiots. I bet Democrat politicians bought stock in gun and ammo companies, just to have it when they send these rednecks into a panic. Bet they all "sold" their stock about a month ago hahaha!

Correct.

No one expected a new ‘AWB’ to pass.

And conservative hysteria over ‘gun grabbing’ was clearly unfounded idiocy.

Only because of a large and vocal opposition.

I know it feels better to think of it like you "won" a major victory.

But it's like beating the Washington Generals.

A scripted fight.

"People say well, are you disappointed? Obviously I'm disappointed," Feinstein told reporters Tuesday.

Anytime Feinstein is disappointed it's a clear victory for people's Rights and Freedoms.

Forum List

Back