Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill

No warrant. Threaten to take his kids. Nah that couldn't happen in America could it now?

NRA instructor's home raided over Facebook photo

New Jersey officials, including police and the Department of Children and Families, are on the defensive today, after they raided the home of Shawn Moore, a firearms instructor for the National Rifle Association, demanding to see his guns after he posted a photo on Facebook of his son, Josh, 11, holding a rifle his father had given him as a birthday present.

"Someone called family services about the photo,” said Evan Nappen, an attorney who represents Moore. “It led to an incredible, heavy-handed raid on his house.

They wanted to see his gun safe, his guns and search his house. They even threatened to take his kids."

Oh and this part of the article is special....:eusa_whistle:

Moore and his attorney contend, however, that the raid was a violation of his Second Amendment right, and that, in light of the recent focus on gun control legislation, the raid's focus was not child safety so much as gun ownership.

"They said they wanted to see into my safe and see if my guns were registered," Moore said. "I said no; in New Jersey, your guns don't have to be registered with the state; it's voluntary. I knew once I opened that safe, there was no going back."

When the police confirmed they did not have a warrant to search his home and after a social worker refused to identify herself, Moore asked the officials to leave.

They adhered to his request.

"I don't like what happened," Moore said. "You're not even safe in your own house. If they can just show up at any time and make you open safes and go through your house, that's not freedom; it's like tyranny."

The police, said Nappen, wanted to inventory Moore's firearms.

"We said no way, it’s not happening,” the attorney told FOX. “This is a guy who is completely credentialed and his son is also credentialed.”

NRA instructor's home raided over Facebook photo - National Conservative | Examiner.com

47553d8e92222ce4d4a962fdedfa6a23.jpg
The man posted a picture on Facebook of a minor holding an assault weapon, and then he is incredulous that someone CALLED family services? WHAT would you expect family services to do, ignore it???

How can someone who can be moved by music, be such a heartless piece of shit of a person?

Good post. It is good to see someone stand up to the criminals in the government.

The 'evil' government didn't just decide to visit this man's home. THE FUCKING MORON posted that picture on Facebook...public domain. SOMEONE (a concerned citizen) CALLED FAMILY SERVICES. And if family services didn't follow up on that complaint, and the child was harmed, you fucking morons would be screaming incompetent government agencies.

One reason Republicans are so dumb.

They think the government will come to your house and use guns.

Stupid, right? The government has "drones".

No warrant. Threaten to take his kids. Nah that couldn't happen in America could it now?

New Jersey officials, including police and the Department of Children and Families, are on the defensive today, after they raided the home of Shawn Moore, a firearms instructor for the National Rifle Association, demanding to see his guns after he posted a photo on Facebook of his son, Josh, 11, holding a rifle his father had given him as a birthday present.

"Someone called family services about the photo,” said Evan Nappen, an attorney who represents Moore. “It led to an incredible, heavy-handed raid on his house.

They wanted to see his gun safe, his guns and search his house. They even threatened to take his kids."

Moore and his attorney contend, however, that the raid was a violation of his Second Amendment right, and that, in light of the recent focus on gun control legislation, the raid's focus was not child safety so much as gun ownership.

"They said they wanted to see into my safe and see if my guns were registered," Moore said. "I said no; in New Jersey, your guns don't have to be registered with the state; it's voluntary. I knew once I opened that safe, there was no going back."

When the police confirmed they did not have a warrant to search his home and after a social worker refused to identify herself, Moore asked the officials to leave.

"I don't like what happened," Moore said. "You're not even safe in your own house. If they can just show up at any time and make you open safes and go through your house, that's not freedom; it's like tyranny."

"We said no way, it’s not happening,” the attorney told FOX. “This is a guy who is completely credentialed and his son is also credentialed.”

NRA instructor's home raided over Facebook photo - National Conservative | Examiner.com

The man posted a picture on Facebook of a minor holding an assault weapon, and then he is incredulous that someone CALLED family services? WHAT would you expect family services to do, ignore it???

How can someone who can be moved by music, be such a heartless piece of shit of a person?

I'm not a heartless piece of shit of a person. I grew up in a family that hunts and fishes. I learned to track when I was 5 years old.

My dad bought me my first bb gun when I was seven. My poor mother distraught because I preferred my bb gun to the Barbie she bought me. :eusa_angel:

I now do bow, percussion and standard.

Children who are trained properly in the use of firearms and go hunting are just normal in my world.

And please remember the gentleman we are discussing is a certified instructor in NJ and has taught his son properly in the use of firearms. Both have their credentials.

And frankly I'd rather see a happy young man who would rather go hunting with his dad than seeing a young punk who can't even pull his pants up. :) hanging out in a gang and eventually learning how to shoot a gun sideways.

Last edited:

I'm not a heartless piece of shit of a person. I grew up in a family that hunts and fishes. I learned to track when I was 5 years old.

My dad bought me my first bb gun when I was seven. My poor mother distraught because I preferred my bb gun to the Barbie she bought me. :eusa_angel:

Children who are trained properly in the use of firearms and go hunting are just normal in my world.

And please remember the gentleman we are discussing is a certified instructor in NJ and has taught his son properly in the use of firearms. Both have their credentials.

And frankly I'd rather see a happy young man who would rather go hunting with his dad than seeing a young punk who can't even pull his pants up. :) hanging out in a gang and eventually learning how to shoot a gun sideways.

There is a scientific reason children are not given full rights and privileges of adults. Their brains are not fully developed. Their cognitive skills, risk assessment abilities and decision making abilities are not fully developed. Fishing poles and BB guns are one thing, assault weapons are another. That father should be in jail.

A National Institutes of Health study proposes that the part of the brain that restrains risky behavior, including reckless driving, and thinking skills is not fully developed until the age of 25.

Teenagers are four times as likely to be involved in a car crash and three times more likely to die in one than adults according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Recent studies have shown that these statistics may have to do with teenage brain development.

The continuous study uses magnetic resonance imaging to scan 2,000 people’s brains every two years. It has been found that teenage brains have extra synapses in the areas where decision making and risk assessment take place. Most of these synapses are useless and even get in the way of one’s judgment. Eventually, as teenagers become adults the synapses disappear, but the findings imply that many life choices are made before the brain’s decision making center is fully developed.

My dad bought me my first bb gun when I was seven. My poor mother was distraught because I preferred my bb gun to the Barbie she bought me. :eusa_angel:

There is a scientific reason children are not given full rights and privileges of adults. Their brains are not fully developed. Their cognitive skills, risk assessment abilities and decision making abilities are not fully developed. Fishing poles and BB guns are one thing, assault weapons are another. That father should be in jail.

A National Institutes of Health study proposes that the part of the brain that restrains risky behavior, including reckless driving, and thinking skills is not fully developed until the age of 25.

Teenagers are four times as likely to be involved in a car crash and three times more likely to die in one than adults according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Recent studies have shown that these statistics may have to do with teenage brain development.

The continuous study uses magnetic resonance imaging to scan 2,000 people’s brains every two years. It has been found that teenage brains have extra synapses in the areas where decision making and risk assessment take place. Most of these synapses are useless and even get in the way of one’s judgment. Eventually, as teenagers become adults the synapses disappear, but the findings imply that many life choices are made before the brain’s decision making center is fully developed.

First let's get this out of the way. It's a .22 caliber replica.

Now to children. I come from the no helmet generation who somehow learned to shoot, track, fish, ride a bike, sit in the back seat of an Impala with no seat belt on, climb 30 foot willow trees doing tarzan yells, swing over a creek in a tire and made it to this sweet age of mine.

BTW I got my .22 at 14.

And yes, I'm a girl. My mom and dad made sure I had the most fabulous childhood and I am so grateful.

And with all due respect, screw the scientists. Children shouldn't be bubble wrapped. More children should be like Sierra instead of being stuck in house only playing computer games.

Check this out. What a girl!:eusa_angel: 8 years old!!!

Youngest marksman gets her bear first, as hunt begins in Md.
October 25, 2005|By TOM PELTON | TOM PELTON,SUN REPORTER

OAKLAND -- It was a school morning, but Sierra Stiles wasn't gathering her books. Instead, in the pre-dawn blackness, the 8-year-old pulled on a camouflage shirt, pants and boots, and grabbed a high-powered hunting rifle.

The third-grader from Western Maryland had beaten out 1,992 applicants - mostly men - to be selected through a state lottery as one of only 200 to obtain hunting licenses for Maryland's second black bear hunt in a half-century.

Hiding with her father behind trees on her family's farm, Sierra used a .243-caliber rifle to shoot a 211-pound male black bear yesterday morning, the first kill of the season, according to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. In the end, the youngest and smallest hunter also proved to be the quickest to claim a trophy.

"I'm so proud of her," said Robert Harvey, 65, her great-uncle, who owns the farm in Kitzmiller where the bear was shot. "It's good to get these kids outside, so they can really learn."

Sierra's bear, which she plans to turn into a rug, was one of 13 to be registered with game officers yesterday at the Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area just north of Oakland, with two others weighed-in at a state office in Frostburg.

It was the first day of a season expected to last three or four days, or until at least 40 are killed, twice as many as last year, state officials said. The plan is to kill no more than 55 bears this year.

Youngest marksman gets her bear first, as hunt begins in Md. - Baltimore Sun

Last edited:

My dad bought me my first bb gun when I was seven. My poor mother was distraught because I preferred my bb gun to the Barbie she bought me. :eusa_angel:

Now to children. I come from the no helmet generation who somehow learned to shoot, track, fish, ride a bike, sit in the back seat of an Impala with no seat belt on, climb 30 foot willow trees doing tarzan yells, swing over a creek in a tire and made it to this sweet age of mine.

BTW I got my .22 at 14.

And yes, I'm a girl. My mom and dad made sure I had the most fabulous childhood and I am so grateful.

And with all due respect, screw the scientists. Children shouldn't be bubble wrapped. More children should be like Sierra instead of being stuck in house only playing computer games.

OAKLAND -- It was a school morning, but Sierra Stiles wasn't gathering her books. Instead, in the pre-dawn blackness, the 8-year-old pulled on a camouflage shirt, pants and boots, and grabbed a high-powered hunting rifle.

The third-grader from Western Maryland had beaten out 1,992 applicants - mostly men - to be selected through a state lottery as one of only 200 to obtain hunting licenses for Maryland's second black bear hunt in a half-century.

Hiding with her father behind trees on her family's farm, Sierra used a .243-caliber rifle to shoot a 211-pound male black bear yesterday morning, the first kill of the season, according to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. In the end, the youngest and smallest hunter also proved to be the quickest to claim a trophy.

"I'm so proud of her," said Robert Harvey, 65, her great-uncle, who owns the farm in Kitzmiller where the bear was shot. "It's good to get these kids outside, so they can really learn."

Sierra's bear, which she plans to turn into a rug, was one of 13 to be registered with game officers yesterday at the Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area just north of Oakland, with two others weighed-in at a state office in Frostburg.

It was the first day of a season expected to last three or four days, or until at least 40 are killed, twice as many as last year, state officials said. The plan is to kill no more than 55 bears this year.

I grew up during the same generation. But you ignorantly decide that the only options for this NRA asshole's kid is either learn to kill or be on a street corner. How about something in between like play little league baseball or other sports where you actually build up your body, mind, stamina and learn to interact and cooperate with other children. Learn to win gracefully and lose like a good sport.

The science is REAL. What we are learning about the brain is not to be dismissed. Especially about PTSD as our beloved sons and daughters are returning safely from the battlefields only to splatter their brains on their bedroom walls...

BTW I got my .22 at 14.

I grew up during the same generation. But you ignorantly decide that the only options for this NRA asshole's kid is either learn to kill or be on a street corner. How about something in between like play little league baseball or other sports where you actually build up your body, mind, stamina and learn to interact and cooperate with other children. Learn to win gracefully and lose like a good sport.

The science is REAL. What we are learning about the brain is not to be dismissed. Especially about PTSD as our beloved sons and daughters are returning safely from the battlefields only to splatter their brains on their bedroom walls...

Did I say there are only two options in life for children? And why would you call this man an asshole when you don't know him?

To assume the only path this father is taking him down is to be a hunter?

And we don't know if the boy is also involved in baseball or bowling or Boy Scouts.

You make huge assumptions about individuals you don't know. Maybe his son could be a fan of Emeril and turn out to be a fabulous chef one day.

Or have a true talent in the arts. Or could grow up to be an amazing car designer.

You don't know the family. And yet you paint them as one dimensional moronic gun crazy assholes.

Wow.

BTW I got my .22 at 14.

^^^Gotta love loony libprog hyperbole:cuckoo:^^^

Sooooo, what the fuck does this father teaching his son how to properly handle a weapon have to do with PTSD and those who served?

And, where did TD say the kid shouldn't play little league and whatnot, you moron?

Face it...you've had your ass thoroughly kicked on the subject, and are now doing nothing more than making yourself looke like a fuckin' loony liberal imbicile.

BTW I got my .22 at 14.

^^^Gotta love loony libprog hyperbole:cuckoo:^^^

Sooooo, what the fuck does this father teaching his son how to properly handle a weapon have to do with PTSD and those who served?

And, where did TD say the kid shouldn't play little league and whatnot, you moron?

Pretty much right here...

tinydancer said:
And frankly I'd rather see a happy young man who would rather go hunting with his dad than seeing a young punk who can't even pull his pants up. hanging out in a gang and eventually learning how to shoot a gun sideways.

This is what I've been saying from day one.

I think the pearl-clutching "they're coming to take our guns" Conservatives are the ones looking like fools right now.

So in other words ,they wasted a ton of time

Why was it even suggested then?? they took a look hoping they had they votes and political wind at their back,but they didn't. If they had what they hoped for we would have a new ban.Denying that is just plan dishonest.

I think the Dems really truly thought they could pull it off. Think about the rabid back lash against guns after the shootings.

Hell's bells every one was frothing at the mouth. Dems were really banging the anti gun drum and grave dancing.

They thought they had it because of the heart felt emotion at the time. But time has passed and most people have come to their senses and looked clearly at the situation.

Yes it was a tragedy. Yes Gabby Giffords being shot was a tragedy.

But good American gun owners shouldn't pay the price for the acts of a few madmen.

Finally people realized that.

No, the carnage and mass killings will go on. America has a gun violence problem. You are accessories because you are so fear infested that you can't live without weapons of war in our schools, theaters and shopping malls.

Try to wrap your head around this and then dance with joy.

Dr. Cyril Wecht, past president of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, told me this:

The kind of ammunition used by the Newtown killer would have produced very extensive, severe and mutilating injuries of the head and face in these small victims. Depending on the number of shots striking a child’s head, substantial portions of the head would be literally blasted away. The underlying brain tissue would be extensively lacerated with portions of hemorrhagic brain tissue protruding through the fractured calvarium and basilar skull, some of which would remain on portions of the face...actual physical identification of each child would have been extremely difficult, and in many instances impossible, even by the parents of any particular child.

We also know this, according to Dr. Wecht:

In one case, the parents have commented publicly upon the damage to their child, reporting that his chin and left hand were missing. Most probably, this child had brought his hand up to his face in shock and for protection and had the hand blasted away along with the lower part of his face.

Veronique Pozner, the mother of Noah, the six-year-old boy described by Dr. Wecht, insisted that the Governor of Connecticut look at Noah in an open casket. "I needed it to be real to him," she said. The Governor wept.

A shotgun with #4 buck would do much worse.

But what's the point? Guns were far more available and common in most areas about 50 years ago. You didnt need any background check or ID to buy one. Most high school kids had a rifle or shotgun in the truck when they went to school. And school shootings were unheard of. It is a violence/culture problem, not a gun problem.

Forum List

Back