Assault weapons ban

But you and I both know that an assault weapon makes for a shit self defense gun in most cases. My 870 is better in almost every situation. A pistol might be preferable to the 870 up close (in a confined area).

Then buy a shotgun or pistol and keep your nose out of other people's business. Problem solved.

These semi-auto rifles that are being called "assault weapuns-guns" are used in competition target shooting, pest control, defense of businesses and livelihoods. Are they the first weapon that I would choose? NO! but they do have a place on the list of guns to own.

1. 12 ga pump - home self defense, bird hunting, skeet and trap shooting (there are better choices for this one), small game hunting, large game hunting at shorter ranges (there are better choices for this one)
2. .22 rimfire bolt action rifle and revolver. Will generally fire any 22 short, long and long rifle ammo. Great for target shooting and practice, small game hunting, pest control.
3. magnum revolver - defensive carry concealed, hunting medium and non-dangerous game, target practice and competition, defensive carry while "in the field" (fishing, hiking, or hunting)
4. Bolt action rifle - hunting, target practice, competition. Best when it utilizes a standard military cartridge because the ammo is available widely.
5. Semi-auto pistols - more easily concealable for legal carry, higher capacity magazines make them better against small groups of attackers.
6. Semi-auto rifles - particular types of competition require the use of "military" style weapons and the cartridge generally determines the ranges that targets are placed. 308 and 3006 for out to 1000 meters, 6mm for out to 600 meters, .223 (5.56mm) for out to 300 meters.
These rifles are also used to hunt game, control pests and informal target practice.
When dispatching ferral pigs that tear up your land and ruin crops you need a high capacity magazine.

But you and I both know that an assault weapon makes for a shit self defense gun in most cases. My 870 is better in almost every situation. A pistol might be preferable to the 870 up close (in a confined area).

Then buy a shotgun or pistol and keep your nose out of other people's business. Problem solved.

All of this goes along the lines of "no one needs X for Y." Screw that logic. We dont apply it anywhere else, why here? Because people get killed with guns? People get killed with cars, rat poison, ladders, and a bunch of other shit too. It is totally about controlling people and the choices they can make. And screw that.

All of this goes along the lines of "no one needs X for Y." Screw that logic. We dont apply it anywhere else, why here? Because people get killed with guns? People get killed with cars, rat poison, ladders, and a bunch of other shit too. It is totally about controlling people and the choices they can make. And screw that.

It's called "Public Safety" for the good of the "Public Interest".

I would rather call 911,
Rather than using a gun.

I would rather call 911,
Rather than using a gun.

But it isn't. Many more people are killed by cars. But we dont regulate cars like that. We dont call for banning SUVs.
And no proposal floated would make anyone any safer. The opposite. With 300M guns in circulation criminals will have them and honest citizens will be disarmed.

Call 911. When seconds count police are minutes away.

It is totally about controlling people and the choices they can make. And screw that.

Too many are choosing to make hamburger of little kid's heads with their assault weapons, and that's a choice that needs controlling.

Because more people are killed by cars is no excuse for not having more gun control.

Two different subjects altogether.

It is totally about controlling people and the choices they can make. And screw that.

Too many are choosing to make hamburger of little kid's heads with their assault weapons, and that's a choice that needs controlling.

it was one guy. How does that become "too many"

Lets do some math:

20 kids killed by a semi auto. Lets assume conservatively a 1st-6th grade population of 20 million.

# of school days in a year around 180. So: on that day your chance was 20/20 million or 1 in a million. now add in the fact that in a year on the other 180 days, no children were killed at school by a semi auto, that puts your chances in the billion to one ratio.

Want to know your chance of having your 1st grade to 6th grader die in a car crash in the same year? Bigger than a billion to one, I assure you.

Snookie,
You call 911, and then spend thirty seconds talking to someone, then wait two to ninety minutes for the police to arrive.
It takes less than 10 seconds for a robber to get into your home, so while you are telling the emergency operator that he has broken into your home you are beaten, the phone is turned off, unplugged - or just ripped out of the wall and in the next 90 seconds he has taken anything of value in your home.

when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

It is not the fault of the police - they have large areas to cover. It is also not their job to protect individuals. They protect the general population - not you. The protect by solving the crime after it happens - not by stopping it as it happens.

So, you go ahead and call 911, and wait for the police.
I will call 911 after I arm myself - and when he breaks in I will hold him for the police or protect myself as the case needs.

Snookie,
You call 911, and then spend thirty seconds talking to someone, then wait two to ninety minutes for the police to arrive.
It takes less than 10 seconds for a robber to get into your home, so while you are telling the emergency operator that he has broken into your home you are beaten, the phone is turned off, unplugged - or just ripped out of the wall and in the next 90 seconds he has taken anything of value in your home.

It is not the fault of the police - they have large areas to cover. It is also not their job to protect individuals. They protect the general population - not you. The protect by solving the crime after it happens - not by stopping it as it happens.

I will call 911 after I arm myself - and when he breaks in I will hold him for the police or protect myself as the case needs.

Or escalate the situation and turn a robbery into a shootout... Or shoot yourself in the foot pulling out your pistol in the dark... Or shoot the neighbor who accidentally went in the wrong house.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to defend yourself. And perhaps it's different if you live in a higher crime area. But where I live, the odds of my house getting robbed is roughly equal with the odds of a hidden volcano in upstate ny wiping us out... We've had 1 house robbery in the county in the last 5 years. A few camps they knew would be empty...

It's just not worth it to worry about it. I keep my guns locked away.

Really? How many is that? You realize kids have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting killed with an assault weapon, right? You also realize there are about 30M of the things floating around, right? I personally have several, including a full auto, and no child has ever been killed with them.

I would rather call 911,
Rather than using a gun.

But it isn't. Many more people are killed by cars. But we dont regulate cars like that. We dont call for banning SUVs.

Of course we regulate cars. That's nonsense.

We have safety regulations, police check points, safety inspections, speed traps and a hundred other rules and regs that mandate what you can drive, how fast and in what condition you can drive in.

Not to mention we regulate who can drive....

A robbery is a theft under the threat of or application of violence. The escalation would be to stand there talking on the phone after he told you to hang up.
It is pretty hard to shoot yourself in the foot grabbing a shotgun and I know my neighbors - the knock before comming in - they don't bust the door down or break a window to come say hello.
I live in a small town in a farming community and we have three mexican gangs in the area. Violence against the citizens is not a real problem compared to the big city that I left but the violence can spill over from the gangs into people's lives. I haven't been here six months yet but I know at least three of my neighbors have guns at home. I feel very welcome and safe.

Last edited:
Snookie,

I fear no evil. I walk the dangerous streets at night, unarmed. It's attitude.

I would rather call 911,
Rather than using a gun.

We have safety regulations, police check points, safety inspections, speed traps and a hundred other rules and regs that mandate what you can drive, how fast and in what condition you can drive in.

We dont regulate cars like that, I said. In that sense we regulate guns the same way. There are oodles of laws about how to manufacture guns etc. But we dont look at cars and say "This model is involved in a lot of accidents. Let's ban it." Or, This model is a favorite of drug dealers. We'll ban it.

The assault weapons ban legislation put out yesterday got me thinking about when we enacted prohibition to halt the manufacture, transportation and sale of alcohol and alcoholic beverages as we know that ended up creating a bigger problem than the act was attempting to solve. Granted we are not talking about banning all guns like they were with alcohol this ban though does seem to be more far reaching than the last one so I wonder like prohibition could this ban end up causing more problems than it solves?

I don't think many of us, if not most, that do own firearms have any qualms about tighter enforcement of keeping weapons out of the hands of the mentally ill and the felon. Background checks that are universal do not harm the law abiding citizen owner.

I would rather call 911,
Rather than using a gun.

None of whch appliy to buying a car, owning a car, keeping it in your home, and operating it on private property.
Apples and apples, please.

I own "assault" weapons, I have no issue with background checks at gun hsows etc etc ..

but, what do you do when say, a father gives his 30 year old son a pistol, or a bushmaster? have him run a background check?

Forum List

Back