Atlanta Fire Chief Fired for Writing Christian Book

The guy wrote the book on his own time. He was fired because he doesn't support gays. While I would disagree with him, he still has that right.

Is it going to become commonplace for people to get fired from government jobs because of their religious beliefs? It's one thing if people push their religion on co-workers. What a person does on their time off is their own business. He didn't break any laws. He merely holds views that are not politically correct.

Atlanta Fire Chief Fired for Expressing Christian Beliefs
He needs to take their ass to court. We have a right to our beliefs.
you're absolutely right. did they prevent his publishing of the book, or not allow him to worship as he pleased? was he jailed? fined?

Is Jesus Christ a homophobe too? Do you want that on your resume' when you face him one day? I do not think so. This is America. Sodomy used to be against the law. What happened to that?!
respect for Constitutional rights.

Funny you would bring up constitutional rights when this man's are being denied.
Oh? What constitutional right has been denied?

Are you kidding me, Bodie? Give it up.
So....you can't state any. Well, I knew you couldn't.

Is Jesus Christ a homophobe too? Do you want that on your resume' when you face him one day? I do not think so. This is America. Sodomy used to be against the law. What happened to that?!

So glad you brought that up. This is a clear violation of the constitutional rights of the fire chief.
What constitutional rights?

Good night, Bodie. Tomorrow is another day. God willing.

Funny you would bring up constitutional rights when this man's are being denied.

As soon as he used his supervisory position to endorse a Christian doctrine, he was done.

No portion of government may favor the establishment of any religion over any other: Establishment Clause of the US Constitution.

Including any and all government functionaries.

Ignorance means job loss.

He would make a good kiddy party clown, however.

Regards from Rosie

Police and Fire chiefs have been praying with their officers and firemen for decades. What part of "or prohibit the free exercise thereof" don't you understand? There's no such thing as a separation of church and states.

What this is is an example of the intolerance of the homosexual community. Their way or no way. The Chief will have a hard time fighting this, unless he does it on his own. No lawyer is going to take a case where there is little money in it for them.

The Chief is screwed by the PC police.
One interview on FoxNews and the Chief will have millions for his defense fund donated.

The world is insane. I can't wait till the second coming.
To hear the Libs talk, he's already back.

Obama-with-Halo-300x255.jpg

As soon as he used his supervisory position to endorse a Christian doctrine, he was done.

No portion of government may favor the establishment of any religion over any other: Establishment Clause of the US Constitution.

Regards from Rosie

Police and Fire chiefs have been praying with their officers and firemen for decades. What part of "or prohibit the free exercise thereof" don't you understand? There's no such thing as a separation of church and states.
So...you would have been ok with him handing out Korans and talking to his employees about Allah and Jihad.

The guy wrote the book on his own time. He was fired because he doesn't support gays. While I would disagree with him, he still has that right.

Is it going to become commonplace for people to get fired from government jobs because of their religious beliefs? It's one thing if people push their religion on co-workers. What a person does on their time off is their own business. He didn't break any laws. He merely holds views that are not politically correct.

That's not why he was fired.

Get a real news source that doesn't put a spin on it.

He was a homophobe who made people sick.

Listen up. I am thankful to Clementine for posting this thread. Once again we see that USMB delivers news where the mainstream media fails to deliver. So on that note, I'll have to look up this fire Chief and let him know that he has a few people in his corner. At least a few.
Did Jesus say anything about gays? The truth now....don't bear false witness.
Yes he did.

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Leviticus 18:22

Jesus IS the God of the Old Testament; triune and in pluperfect unity from everlasting to everlasting.

Regards from Rosie

So...you would have been ok with him handing out Korans and talking to his employees about Allah and Jihad.

Yes. That's the kind of freedom this country was founded on.

Why do you Leftists hate freedom so much unless it involves pot or gay butt sex?

Regards from Rosie

There is no free exercise where the government is the employer.

Free exercise just means we Americans must put up with $cientology among other "religions".

But never ever where the government cuts the checks. Our government must never take any religion's side.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Free exercise just means we Americans must put up with $cientology among other "religions".

But never ever where the government cuts the checks. Our government must never take any religion's side.

Regards from Rosie

Wrong. Congress may not establish an official state religion. That's all the 1st Amendment means. When you interpret it to mean that nobody can PRACTICE their personal faith, then you profane the Constitution.

What this is is an example of the intolerance of the homosexual community. Their way or no way. The Chief will have a hard time fighting this, unless he does it on his own. No lawyer is going to take a case where there is little money in it for them.

You think that there's no money in suing a city?

I think people have the impression that people sue all the time, just doesn't happen. What would he win? back pay?

"Atlanta Fire Chief Fired for Writing Christian Book"

Wrong.

He was fired because he violated the City's anti-discrimination policy:

'Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said the chief was not fired due to his religious beliefs but rather because of questions that arose about his “judgment and ability to manage the department" in connection with the book.

Cochran wrote a 2013 book titled, "Who Told You That You Were Naked?," in which he called homosexuality “vulgar” and “the opposite of purity.”

Reed said the city has a clear policy that forbids discrimination based on sexual orientation and that Cochran's published views could be a legal liability.'

Atlanta fire chief who criticized homosexuality may fight ouster - Yahoo News

And the notion that Cochran's freedom of speech and religion are being 'violated' is ridiculous, his hateful book is published and available for anyone to read, subject to no prior restraint; and he remains at liberty to practice his faith however he sees fit, absent any interference by government.
I wonder what would happen if the Chief wrote a book about how whites are inferior and then started handing it out "voluntarily of course" to his department.
He would then be the darling of the Liberals, but unless he started discriminating against whites in the performance of his duties as police chief, it really doesn't matter. Hell! We have a POTUS right now that acts superior to everyone white OR black, why can't we have a police chief that thinks homosexuality is perverse when one that believes the opposite would be lauded by the left?

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Wrong. Congress may not establish an official state religion. That's all the 1st Amendment means. When you interpret it to mean that nobody can PRACTICE their personal faith, then you profane the Constitution.

In a taxpayer funded agency, the "practice" of religion is forbidden due to the government being prohibited from establishing any religion. The government must favor no religion.

That means no prayer in schools, no holiday time for Christians but not Jews or Muslims, etc.
The government must not assist any religion at all.

If you deem that profane, YOU have the problem; not our local, state and Federal governments.

Regards from Rosie

You think that there's no money in suing a city?

I think people have the impression that people sue all the time, just doesn't happen. What would he win? back pay?

A civil rights violation entails punitive damages. Just ask Rodney King. Oh wait, he's dead.

That's not why he was fired.

Get a real news source that doesn't put a spin on it.

He was a homophobe who made people sick.

Listen up. I am thankful to Clementine for posting this thread. Once again we see that USMB delivers news where the mainstream media fails to deliver. So on that note, I'll have to look up this fire Chief and let him know that he has a few people in his corner. At least a few.
Did Jesus say anything about gays? The truth now....don't bear false witness.
Yes he did.

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. Leviticus 18:22

Jesus IS the God of the Old Testament; triune and in pluperfect unity from everlasting to everlasting.
Leviticus? That's way before your Jesus was born......sorry, liar.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

In a taxpayer funded agency, the "practice" of religion is forbidden due to the government being prohibited from establishing any religion. The government must favor no religion.

That means no prayer in schools, no holiday time for Christians but not Jews or Muslims, etc.
The government must not assist any religion at all.

If you deem that profane, YOU have the problem; not our local, state and Federal governments.

Regards from Rosie

That's your interpretation. The 1st Amendment says government cannot prohibit the free practice of religion. When you have government doing just that, you profane the U.S. Constitution.

You almost gotta laugh. The jihadists killed a magazine owner in France for ridiculing Mohammed and nobody seems concerned that American politicians take away a man's livelyhood for writing a book that promotes his religious values.
I'm thinking that book "Who Told You You Were Naked?" will make the New York times best seller list.

Forum List

Back