Avoid Sugar

Are any of these people skinny? Do all of them hold the sa,e [sic] ideas about eating as you do?

As I said, we cover a wide range of lifestyles, professions, eating habits, and such.

My paternal grandfather was a hard-working farmer. Trim and fit for most of his life, and he had it.

My father and his brothers were raised as farmers, and grew up with the same hard-working life style. One of them stayed in farming. My father became an electronic technician—a much more sedentary lifestyle. Even though he was the most sedentary of his brothers, he was the least obese, and the last to develop diabetes, but he did, eventually. Interestingly, he developed it the same year that both my brother and I did.

I have it, my brother has it. I'm a hard-working construction worker, but my brother is a college professor.

And my cousins are all over the place, as far as diet, lifestyle, general levels of physical activity, every external variable on which you might try to blame our diabetes.

The only thing in common, linking us all to type 2 diabetes, is our genetics.

Last edited:
Take it up with the Mayo Clinic. No offense but you've been completely full of shit this entire thread so I dont [sic] necessarily trust that your opinion of what is or isnt [sic] obese is accurate.

Are you diabetic? What place do delusionally image that you have to tell me that what I have directly experienced, what most of my relatives have experienced, is false?

You're like those cretins that attack my religion, spreading all sorts of hateful lies about it, and then tell me I am wrong when I point out how radically the claims they make about my religion contradict my direct experience and knowledge as a member thereof.

One of us definitely has the whole of his capacity taken up by solid digestive waste and it is not I.

I remember the first time I had cornbread after the old man migrated us up north.

First time in my life I'd tasted cornbread with sugar in it because where I was from it just wasnlt done that way. It caught me totally off guard, too.

I didn't get beyond the first bite.

Everybody likes their own thing, obviously, but that was just the weirdest thing to me at the time.

Well, I am grain free and I have tried making it without sugar, but it just goes wrong without it.

I agree with you. Especially with hush puppies! The sugar is just wrong.

That is completely false.

If you don't have the genetics for it, then none of those factors will ever cause it. If you do have the genetics, then avoiding those factors will not prevent it.
That’s just not true. There’s no magic genetics that will make you immune to insulin resistance caused by poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle.

Again, your genetics might make you more prone or less prone compared to others, but lifestyle choices are the main cause. That’s the nature of type 2 diabetes.

As I said, we cover a wide range of lifestyles, professions, eating habits, and such.

My paternal grandfather was a hard-working farmer. Trim and fit for most of his life, and he had it.

My father and his brothers were raised as farmers, and grew up with the same hard-working life style. One of them stayed in farming. My father became an electronic technician—a much more sedentary lifestyle. Even though he was the most sedentary of his brothers, he was the least obese, and the last to develop diabetes, but he did, eventually. Interestingly, he developed it the same year that both my brother and I did.

I have it, my brother has it. I'm a hard-working construction worker, but my brother is a college professor.

And my cousins are all over the place, as far as diet, lifestyle, general levels of physical activity, every external variable on which you might try to blame our diabetes.

The only thing in common, linking us all to type 2 diabetes, is our genetics.
How old were they when they became diabetic?

Are you confusing type 1 and type 2?

You seem very defensive.

That’s just not true. There’s no magic genetics that will make you immune to insulin resistance caused by poor diet and a sedentary lifestyle.

Again, your genetics might make you more prone or less prone compared to others, but lifestyle choices are the main cause. That’s the nature of type 2 diabetes.
I agree with you on the root cause for type 2 diabetes but Bob chooses to believe that genetics are the main cause. I doubt we can convince him otherwise.

I agree with you on the root cause for type 2 diabetes but Bob chooses to believe that genetics are the main cause. I doubt we can convince him otherwise.
Genetics is definitely a contributing factor.

But his saying lifestyle has nothing to do with it strikes me as being defensive.

How old were they when they became diabetic?

Are you confusing type 1 and type 2?

You seem very defensive.

I know the difference between type 1 and type 2.

My father was in his sixties, when he was diagnosed with it. The same year, I was 40, and my brother would have been in his thirties, when we each got it.

I don't know when nearly as much detail, the ages of all my uncles, cousins, grandfather, and such at the onset of their diabetes, but it was all in adulthood.

And most have been overweight, to some degree or another, especially after the onset; with me standing out as a prominent exception.

Prior to the agricultural revolution where do you think people were getting these mass quantities of sugar and carbohydrates? The answer is they weren't. Our bodies weren't really designed to process the amounts of carbs and certainly not the amount of refined sugar people eat currently. The average US citizen takes in 150-170 lbs. of that shit every year. In less than 100 years we have more than doubled our intake of refined sugar. It's no coincidence that the incidence of obesity rose exponentially with the idea that all fat was bad for you. If you take the fat out of food you're taking the flavor along with it. It had to be replaced by something and that something was sugar. More sugar, more obesity and more diabetes and chronic health issues.
Yep, nothing worse, IMO than so-called 'lean beef.'

You're trying to tell me that grass is orange in color, when I can look directly at it and see that it is green.
You implied in an earlier post that type 2 DM is *entirely* caused by genetics. This is simply false.

No one is denying that genetics play a role. But lifestyle choices (again: diet, weight and exercise level) *are* the main causes. They just are. This is an objectively true fact.

I’ve been a LPN for 13 years. I’ve treated hundreds upon hundred of diabetics. No MD or endocrinologist anywhere is going to agree with you.

I just heard what the doctor said.

Type 2 DM is progressive. No one suddenly just “gets” it out of the blue like the flu or something. I’m sure what the doctor meant was the statins made a pre-existing condition worse.

I didn’t mean to sound harsh

Type 2 DM is progressive. No one suddenly just “gets” it out of the blue like the flu or something. I’m sure what the doctor meant was the statins made a pre-existing condition worse.

I was not in the mood to read his mind that day.

Forum List

Back