🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

AZ passes law saying life beings pre-conception

the allegedly 'small government GOP'er Jan Brewer has signed into law saying, essentially, life begins two weeks before conception.

so now, every time you ovulate...congrats you're a mom.

nutters...

AllGov - News - Arizona Law Declares Life Begins before Conception: Update

the statute...one of the most disgusting i've ever read.

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/2r/adopted/s.2036jud.pdf

holy cow..you people call yourselves compassionate human beings
but you all sure didn't mind when Government stepped in to make ABORTIONS legal

life beings when you ovulate?

:cuckoo:

and it's not like compassion has ever been your thing, angry steffie... so i wouldn't worry your little brain about it if i were you.

the allegedly 'small government GOP'er Jan Brewer has signed into law saying, essentially, life begins two weeks before conception.

nutters...

and it's not like compassion has ever been your thing, angry steffie... so i wouldn't worry your little brain about it if i were you.

jilly, you get more shrill and hateful with each passing year..
you being a woman posting on this that it disgust you...how sad for you

Granted, when you look at the details of the story it makes a *little* more sense (though not much). They have to define exactly where to start counting for their 20 weeks, given that the actual conception time is largely a guess. The key thing is, when government is making detailed decisions that sound this silly out of context, it's often a warning flag they're sticking there noses in somewhere they shouldn't be.

It reminds me of a story a friend, who sat on the local city commission for a few years, told me. He talked about barely being able to keep a straight face as city 'elders' engaged in sober debate over the sizes of 'pasties' that would be required at local strip clubs. Or, more topically, when the federal government takes on the role of 'defining' what minimum insurance coverage is under PPACA.

Why does the GOP spend so much time pandering to the nutters in their camp?

This has got to be the stupidest legislation ever for the laughably called party of small government.

This has got to be the stupidest legislation ever for the laughably called party of small government.

well for sure caring about the unborn child must make a person a nut.

a nutter to me is you people who DON'T care

Yes. They need to drop that moniker. And fools need to stop believing it. Republicans are no more friendly to "small government" than Democrats are champions of the "working man". Just empty sales pitches.

Wanting to keep this Government from GROWING anymore is not the same as the Government we have now passing legislation..

you people are dorks. until it's legislation that you all love

This is a STATE legislation, I suggest you all who don't like, DON'T move to Arizona.

Last edited:
False OP fails.

Don't trust slanted rags for your news.
Read the bill.

Here are the definitions outlined in the bill.
I'll paste real slow.

"Conception" means the fusion of a human spermatozoon with a human ovum.

"Gestational age" means the age of the unborn child as calculated from the first day of the last menstrual period of the pregnant woman.

"Pregnant" or "pregnancy" means a female reproductive condition of having a developing unborn child in the body and that begins with conception.

Can anyone find where the bill attempts to define when "life begins"??

That's what I thought.

/

Gestational age is a definition establishing when the pregnancy began.

I agree completely. But given that it's from AZ's Queen of the Whackjobs, it's not surprising. Notice how all the ConservaRepubs Cut & Run from my simple question? :

So then by this definition, any time a male masturbates, he's committing murder, right?

nutters...

This the same Jan Brewer that with held funds for life saving medical procedures that led to the deaths of three Americans?

Oh gosh..won't she make up her mind?

Grim Reaper..or Lady of Spring renewel. :cuckoo:

Well, I think that the GOP should push it in every state. Really should help them in November.

i know. it should help them greatly with women voters. :D

you know... they rant and rave and say how they're the party of small government and fiscal conservatism, but seems the second they're given an ounce of power, they go off into rabid religious zealot mode.

someone really needs to tell them that normal people really don't think like they do.

many Democrats need to be told this also....

an unfertilized egg in a woman does not a child make.

No, caring about the unborn does not make one a "nut" at all, but continually pushing for government legislation to enter further into our private lives does not make you more "caring" than those who think it is sort of nutty to do so...Especially for those who claim to be small government "conservative". Accepting the legal rationale of Roe v Wade does not make anyone less "caring" for the unborn either...

The Supreme Court made it perfectly clear, not liberal femi-nazis as the women-hating myth would have it, but seven of nine men on the Supreme Court made it clear...

Roe v. Wade (1973)

The Court ruled that the states were forbidden from outlawing or regulating any aspect of abortion performed during the first trimester of pregnancy, could only enact abortion regulations reasonably related to maternal health in the second and third trimesters, and could enact abortion laws protecting the life of the fetus only in the third trimester. Even then, an exception had to be made to protect the life of the mother.

In a 7-2 decision written by Justice Harry Blackmun (who was chosen because of his prior experience as counsel to the Mayo Clinic), the Court ruled that the Texas statute violated Jane Roe's constitutional right to privacy. The Court argued that the Constitution's First, Fourth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments protect an individual's "zone of privacy" against state laws and cited past cases ruling that marriage, contraception, and child rearing are activities covered in this "zone of privacy." The Court then argued that the "zone of privacy" was "broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy." This decision involved myriad physical, psychological, and economic stresses a pregnant woman must face.

Because abortions lie within a pregnant woman's "zone of privacy," the abortion decision "and its effectuation" are fundamental rights that are protected by the Constitution from regulation by the states...

However, the Court ruled that narrower state laws regulating abortion might be sufficiently important to be constitutional. For example, because the medical community finds that the human fetus might be "viable" ("capable of meaningful life") outside the mother's womb after six months of growth, a state might constitutionally protect a fetus from abortions in the third trimester of pregnancy, as long as it permitted an exception to save the life of the mother. Additionally, because second- and third-trimester abortions present more health risks to the mother, the state might regulate certain aspects of abortions related to maternal health after three months of pregnancy. In the first trimester, however, a state's interests in regulating abortions can never be found "important" enough. Such abortions are thus exclusively for the patient and her doctor to govern.

The Supreme Court . Expanding Civil Rights . Landmark Cases . Roe v. Wade (1973) | PBS

Last edited:
However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.'

Barry Goldwater
Arizona Senator

I only have this to say on this issue, the state of Arizona has many issues facing it, among them an economy that is just now at a point where it can turn around or not, a housing crisis of epic proportions , teacher layoffs, police layoffs, etc etc. So what does our legislature spend its time on? ( See Sen. Goldwaters comments) yes, legislating moral issues. At what cost? well let me give you but a small example, as a result of some of this type of legislation Arizona has been forced into the courts to the tune of millions of dollars to the taxpayers here, I wonder how many of those firefighters, police, and teachers, etc. would still be employed had the state spent their time legislating for the benefit of the state rather than for the benefit of lobbyists would still have their jobs!.

jilly, you get more shrill and hateful with each passing year..
you being a woman posting on this that it disgust you...how sad for you

I looked at her post. I looked at your post. Guess which one is 'shrill and hateful'?

A State Senate amendment to the bill, H.B. 2036, states that a fetus’ life starts not at conception, but up to two weeks before then—“from the first day of the last menstrual period of the pregnant woman.”

The controversial language is part of a plan seeking to ban abortions after a fetus is 20 weeks old. Abortion-rights advocates say the new definition would essentially make the prohibition take effect at 18 weeks, not 20 weeks.

They're not 'redefining' when life starts, they're using the exact same method that obs use.

Gestational age, or the age of the baby, is calculated from the first day of the mother's last menstrual period. Since the exact date of conception is almost never known, the first day of the last menstrual period is used to measure how old the baby is.

Pregnancy Due Date Calculator : American Pregnancy Association

How can you be sure how far along the pregnancy is when ovulation/conception (oh, sorry Jillian, fertilization) takes place? Ovulation is not a definite; the first day of your last period is which is why obs use that as the starting point.

A vaginal ultrasound would eliminate any guesswork as to how far the pregnancy has progressed. But the left claims that's too invasive. And here I thought you guys were all for education.

Why even bother pointing out facts, you pro-abortion types only care about the women and would be fine ripping the unborn out and destroying them at any point.

Forum List

Back