🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Baker Who Won’t Make Cakes for Same-Sex Weddings Appeals Mandatory Re-Education Order

What faith is that?
A Christian faith, but the faith itself is irrelevant. According to the First Amendment, he should not be forced to give up his faith.

What denomination says a baker can't cater to a gay wedding? (Westboro?) Would Jesus tell him he can't sell baked goods to a gay couple, no wait, he already admitted he would be willing to sell to them, just not a wedding cake, so it's not about participation. It's all about his personal opposition to the fact that a gay couple is getting married, so in essence he's taking his ball and he's going home.
I don't know about his denomination, however as a practicing Catholic, I do actively follow the teachings of my faith. That includes acknowledging that homosexuality is a sin. This means not participating in gay parades, or gay weddings in any way. I would surely bake a cake for any gay person, provided it were not used in any type of gay themed event. I've worked with gay colleagues, and customers and believe that they have a right to their lifestyle. However just don't ask me to give up my faith in order to accommodate their lifestyle.

The issue has nothing to do with religious beliefs or civil rights. Those are red herrings. It has to do with defining public vs. private accommodations and easements.

however...continue on ....

I think the cake shop is a retail business serving the public. He offered to sell them a number of other baked goods, just not a "Wedding Cake".
Too bad, not his call. Bake the bloody cake and take the cash. I love to get paid, by people who hate my politics and I hate theirs. Happens all day long in my case...
Too bad, is to his call, his business, period. Libtarded idiots.

A Christian faith, but the faith itself is irrelevant. According to the First Amendment, he should not be forced to give up his faith.

What denomination says a baker can't cater to a gay wedding? (Westboro?) Would Jesus tell him he can't sell baked goods to a gay couple, no wait, he already admitted he would be willing to sell to them, just not a wedding cake, so it's not about participation. It's all about his personal opposition to the fact that a gay couple is getting married, so in essence he's taking his ball and he's going home.

The baker was home. His business. You get lost often?

His home and his business are located in a state that has laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation. Having trouble keeping up?

The issue has nothing to do with religious beliefs or civil rights. Those are red herrings. It has to do with defining public vs. private accommodations and easements.

I think the cake shop is a retail business serving the public. He offered to sell them a number of other baked goods, just not a "Wedding Cake".
Too bad, not his call. Bake the bloody cake and take the cash. I love to get paid, by people who hate my politics and I hate theirs. Happens all day long in my case...

Same here.

But for some people, principle is more important.

Governmental force instead of persuasion and reason, the calling card of the progressive.
Reason says if you do it for money, then do it for money. Cash is King in this case, not Jesus.
Jesus is always King. If you knew anything, which you have proven otherwise, you would know that.
Not when it's a business which is why, wait for it, we call it a Business not Faith.

And Jesus is always King when you serve him. Baking cakes is not serving God.

Same here.

So open a church, not a bakery.

Same here.

It would be better if they could just choose to say "no". Here, in America.

But that's not good enough for the PC Police, who care only about control, intimidation, submission.

This isn't about "rights".

No one asked the baker to "modidy" (????) his beliefs either.

you're debating a rude, homophobe who has no ability to understand "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...."

EXACTLY

And what an idiot I am for engaging him this long.

Actually, the "render" quote has several meanings and several interpretations. One of which is if you try to serve both God and mammon, you serve neither. But personally, I think the more appropriate quote is Jesus to Pilot, "my kingdom is not of this world ....." Jesus was not crucified for disobeying civil law (Rome) but rather religious law (the Priests of the Temple.)

The Elizabethan compromise was about just this. People are free to believe whatever they choose, but failure to submit to the authority of the crown will result in unpleasant things.

Again, I personally would prefer not to use the power of the state, though the state undeniably HAS the power. I'd rather see the homophobes lampooned and pilloried and boycotted and picketed. It would be good sport.

Exactly, it was a clear case of discrimination.

Yes. Live and let live.

MYOB

Bake the cake, wish them happines and move on.
So if the head of the klan walked in a black owned bakery and demanded a kkk cake. You would tell him, bake the cake, wish them happiness and move on?

Bake the damn cakes...

I dunno. These are all state laws, and they differ, but I doubt they force people to engage in what most of us would say is hate speech (a KKK cake). I think a baker could get away with, "of course I'll bake you our standard wedding cake, subject to your preference of flavor and color, but if you want two grooms on it, please provide them yourselves."

you're debating a rude, homophobe who has no ability to understand "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...."

EXACTLY

Actually, the "render" quote has several meanings and several interpretations. One of which is if you try to serve both God and mammon, you serve neither. But personally, I think the more appropriate quote is Jesus to Pilot, "my kingdom is not of this world ....." Jesus was not crucified for disobeying civil law (Rome) but rather religious law (the Priests of the Temple.)

The Elizabethan compromise was about just this. People are free to believe whatever they choose, but failure to submit to the authority of the crown will result in unpleasant things.

Again, I personally would prefer not to use the power of the state, though the state undeniably HAS the power. I'd rather see the homophobes lampooned and pilloried and boycotted and picketed. It would be good sport.

And I guess we can enjoy the fact that they are a disappearing minority. (Which means we don't have to make cakes for 'em).

Same here.

It would be better if they could just choose to say "no". Here, in America.

But that's not good enough for the PC Police, who care only about control, intimidation, submission.

This isn't about "rights".
Oh but it is. You have cash or credit and you want something we sell? Terrific, we take cash and credit. Here you go and have a nice day. That's business and business isn't faith.

If they're anti-gay homophobes, they are not Christian.

But, from what I've seen, most people who say they're christian are just haters who carry bibles.

Either way, their stated religion has nothing to do with human rights or our constitution.

Jesus said marriage is a man and woman. Jesus Christ is an anti-gay homophobe. Read your constitution about freedom of religion.

Please link Jesus' words.

And link to the actual words in the Constitution where it says "equality only for those with whom I agree".

And, the Jesus I learned about was not a hater. The nasty haters of our world have turned him into the very thing was preached against. SHAME on all you FAKE christians.

10401930_10152228904091275_6935764536842631515_n_zps0e522403.jpg

So if the head of the klan walked in a black owned bakery and demanded a kkk cake. You would tell him, bake the cake, wish them happiness and move on?

Bake the damn cakes...

I dunno. These are all state laws, and they differ, but I doubt they force people to engage in what most of us would say is hate speech (a KKK cake). I think a baker could get away with, "of course I'll bake you our standard wedding cake, subject to your preference of flavor and color, but if you want two grooms on it, please provide them yourselves."
As long as they don't provide cake toppers, for anyone.

EXACTLY

And I guess we can enjoy the fact that they are a disappearing minority. (Which means we don't have to make cakes for 'em).

Well even the Episcopalians, who spent a veritable fortune fighting breakaway churches over gay marriage, are losing members. The church heirarchy for years told us, we'll do this and all the gays will join us. No, they didn't. The only churches gaining members seem to be more evangelical and/or sort of Unitarian or spiritual and not parsing of scripture..

Forum List

Back