Ban alcohol and blame breweries for alcohol related deaths.

How The U.S. Compares With Other Countries In Deaths From Gun Violence

The United States has the 28th-highest rate of deaths from gun violence in the world: 4.43 deaths per 100,000 people in 2017 — far greater than what is seen in other wealthy countries.

I really don't care what goes on ion other countries.

The comparison of the US to other countries in regards to gun violence assumes that we are like other countries in all aspects except our gun rights and that is too simplistic an approach to be useful

It assumes nothing. It is a simple measure of what the rate is of gun murders. The causation is up for debate (and the very reason for this discussion) but the data is the data.

And the data says we have a much higher murder rate by guns in this country than other 1st world countries.

And the causes of violence in society are the result of the interaction of many variables not just one

And I really don't care what the murder rate in any other country is

I didn't say one variable causes the murder rate.

I did say the data shows we have significantly more gun violence than any other first world country. You may not care but I do as do many other Americans.

And that one stat is meaningless when taken out of context from the myriad number of variables involved and the complexity of the interaction of those variables

This is clearly going over your head. The data is the data, it's only meaningless if you don't care about the rate of gun violence in this country, because that's what it shows. Nothing less, nothing more.

It's extremely meaningful to those of us who care about the gun violence that is occurring in this country. I don't know of any other way of explaining this to you.

I really don't care what goes on ion other countries.

The comparison of the US to other countries in regards to gun violence assumes that we are like other countries in all aspects except our gun rights and that is too simplistic an approach to be useful

It assumes nothing. It is a simple measure of what the rate is of gun murders. The causation is up for debate (and the very reason for this discussion) but the data is the data.

And the data says we have a much higher murder rate by guns in this country than other 1st world countries.

And the causes of violence in society are the result of the interaction of many variables not just one

I did say the data shows we have significantly more gun violence than any other first world country. You may not care but I do as do many other Americans.

And that one stat is meaningless when taken out of context from the myriad number of variables involved and the complexity of the interaction of those variables

This is clearly going over your head. The data is the data, it's only meaningless if you don't care about the rate of gun violence in this country, because that's what it shows. Nothing less, nothing more.

It's extremely meaningful to those of us who care about the gun violence that is occurring in this country. I don't know of any other way of explaining this to you.

So the data shows that people with arms and legs commit all crime

SO if we just get rid of arms and legs we'll end all crime right?

Anyone can pick one stat and use it with no context to prove anything they want only under analysis of all the factors involved and the actual differences between the the things being compared does the data become meaningful.

70% of all murders occur in poor urban areas. Why do 70% of all murders occur in areas that have been historically plagued by segregation, unemployment, underemployment, poor education, the breakdown of the family and the influx of illegal drugs and other illicit underground markets?

It has nothing to do with the differences in the gun laws between the US and other countries

Anyone can pick one stat and use it with no context to prove anything they want only under analysis of all the factors involved and the actual differences between the the things being compared does the data become meaningful.

70% of all murders occur in poor urban areas. Why do 70% of all murders occur in areas that have been historically plagued by segregation, unemployment, underemployment, poor education, the breakdown of the family and the influx of illegal drugs and other illicit underground markets?

It has nothing to do with the differences in the gun laws between the US and other countries

I haven't made any claims as to what the cause is.

Again, I've just stated that the U.S. has a much higher rate of gun murders than other countries. We haven't begun to discuss why that is. You're clearly afraid of what that reason might be so you're attacking the data itself, which is foolish because the data doesn't have an agenda...it's just data.

Again, I've just stated that the U.S. has a much higher rate of gun murders than other countries. We haven't begun to discuss why that is. You're clearly afraid of what that reason might be so you're attacking the data itself, which is foolish because the data doesn't have an agenda...it's just data.
So you say something that is meaningless and then admit that the cause isn't being discussed.

I am trying to discuss the causes but you keep repeating the same meaningless stat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So you say something that is meaningless and then admit that the cause isn't being discussed.

I am trying to discuss the causes but you keep repeating the same meaningless stat

I'm talking about stats to establish the issue. Since we agree that this country has an issue, I'd be happy to discuss the cause.

My theory is our gun murder rate is due to the sheer number of guns available combined with inconsistent laws from state to state that aren't restrictive enough on who can possess firearms.

I'm talking about stats to establish the issue. Since we agree that this country has an issue, I'd be happy to discuss the cause.

My theory is our gun murder rate is due to the sheer number of guns available combined with inconsistent laws from state to state that aren't restrictive enough on who can possess firearms.
Too simplistic

And when you start using terms like gun murder it just emphasizes your bias

Murder is murder it matters not how that murder is committed

70 percent of all murders take place in well defined areas of our urban centers where there are actually fewer guns per person than most of the rest of the country

Most people who commit crimes with guns are legally prohibited from owning them.

People who acquire guns legally are not contributing to the murder rate anywhere near the amount that people who illegally possess guns do.

I've already shown you that less than. 0027 %
Of guns in the country are actually used to commit murder so it's not the guns that are the problem

The breweries are to blame when someone drives drunk and kills somebody. It wasn't real prohibition that failed in the 1920s. If we simply give it another try and do it the right way this time it will be different.
There are far more regulations surrounding alcohol than guns. Is there a nationwide age restriction on guns? In many places you can sue a bar for selling alcohol to a customer. Can anyone sue a gun store?

I would love to be able to to walk up to a counter and get a gun in 10 seconds.

I bought an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle in Philly in 7 minutesI bought an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle in Philly in 7 minutes

Takes less time than buying Medical marijuana...

What is an acceptable time? 3-6 months like NYC makes you wait for a revolver?

Tell you what, Make NYC reduce the time it takes me to get a FUCKING REVOLVER, then we can talk about AR-15 purchase times.

Too simplistic

70 percent of all murders take place in well defined areas of our urban centers where there are actually fewer guns per person than most of the rest of the country

Most people who commit crimes with guns are legally prohibited from owning them.

People who acquire guns legally are not contributing to the murder rate anywhere near the amount that people who illegally possess guns do.

Of guns in the country are actually used to commit murder so it's not the guns that are the problem

We're talking about murders by guns, right? Why are you getting upset about the topic now?

And again, I am not suggesting that guns be taken away from law abiding citizens. I don't give a fuck how many guns a responsible person owns. Or what kind even. I'm talking about keeping guns out of the hands of people who aren't responsible enough to possess them.

Too simplistic

We're talking about murders by guns, right? Why are you getting upset about the topic now?

And again, I am not suggesting that guns be taken away from law abiding citizens. I don't give a fuck how many guns a responsible person owns. Or what kind even. I'm talking about keeping guns out of the hands of people who aren't responsible enough to possess them.

I'm talking about the murder rate and that's all I have ever talked about.

Saying gun murder is just another way to skew the argument.

Murder is murder isn't it?

Personally I think it's just as bad to be murdered by a knife, a bat, a wrench, bare hands, and any of literally a million other ways as it is to be murdered with a gun.

The United States has the 28th-highest rate of deaths from gun violence in the world: 4.43 deaths per 100,000 people in 2017 — far greater than what is seen in other wealthy countries.
Because we have shitholes filled with murderous thugs.

No different than other countries.
Is that why London’s murder rate is higher than New York’s?

But the "gun murder"rate is lower and that's all that matters because getting murdered by a person who uses a gun is worse than any of a million other ways to be murdered

But the "gun murder"rate is lower and that's all that matters because getting murdered by a person who uses a gun is worse than any of a million other ways to be murdered
Yep. They don’t care about stopping murder, it’s all about gun grabbing to force control over citizens.

Too simplistic

Personally I think it's just as bad to be murdered by a knife, a bat, a wrench, bare hands, and any of literally a million other ways as it is to be murdered with a gun.

I thought we were talking about guns? This is a thread about guns, is it not? You gotta pick a topic and stick to it. But if that's the route you want to go, just say so.

Source for your data?

It's much easier to kill someone with a gun than it is with a knife or pretty much any other method. Feel free to argue that though, I can use a laugh.

Too simplistic

I thought we were talking about guns? This is a thread about guns, is it not? You gotta pick a topic and stick to it. But if that's the route you want to go, just say so.

We are.

We are talking about guns as they relate to the murder rate and crime in general.

You say guns increase the murder rate I say they don't because murder rates are driven by more variables than just guns

Yep. They don’t care about stopping murder, it’s all about gun grabbing to force control over citizens.

You will never stop murder, but we can reduce it where possible. And murder by firearms is clearly one area we can do better.

It's much easier to kill someone with a gun than it is with a knife or pretty much any other method. Feel free to argue that though, I can use a laugh.

So what?

The end result is exactly the same.

Forum List

Back