Baseball needs a hard salary cap

the payments to sports players have reached a ridiculous level, and the fans are paying for it. It needs to stop. boycotts are the only way to get their attention.
I agree. Sports salaries will continue to skyrocket until fans say enough is enough and quit supporting the ticket sales/advertisers and broadcasters increases.

Buying a team for $100million then being able to sell it for $1B 5-10 years later is often overlooked. This can allow owners to care less about day to day transactions knowing a 10X profit sale of the franchise Is there, no matter what they do.

Until that profit “tops out?” things will go on. TV buys rights and floods commercials non-stop over 3 hours unless you buy the MLB or NFL channels.

Buying a team for $100million then being able to sell it for $1B 5-10 years later is often overlooked. This can allow owners to care less about day to day transactions knowing a 10X profit sale of the franchise Is there, no matter what they do.

Until that profit “tops out?” things will go on. TV buys rights and floods commercials non-stop over 3 hours unless you buy the MLB or NFL channels.
A problem that everybody seems to never pay attention to is that the sport franchises become welfare queens.

For instance, the Tampa Bay Rays are tying to get the taxpayers of Pinellas County to foot for a good portion of a new stadium.

A problem that everybody seems to never pay attention to is that the sport franchises become welfare queens.

For instance, the Tampa Bay Rays are tying to get the taxpayers of Pinellas County to foot for a good portion of a new stadium.
The Raiders have been playing that game for decades--Oakland, LA, Oakland, LV--whoever has the money to pony up for a new state of the art stadium.

This guy signed for $700 million on a 10 year contract.

Ohtani a once in a generation baseball player, probably the greatest Babe Ruth. He should be the highest paid athlete in all sports. Mahomes has a $500 million contract with the Chiefs but he’s not a two-way player.

It’s the fans who pay for the salaries. They’re the ones willingly paying high prices for tickets.

Do you want to put a salary limit on ceos of businesses in America?

Ohtani is a once in a lifetime player so he should get that kind of once in a lifetime contract. I don’t think other baseball players will get a similar contract unless they can be a world-class pitcher and hit her at the same time.

Big money contracts don’t always pay off in WINS.

Recently:
Pujols, Trevor Story, Chris Sale, Krissy bryant, Stanton, Anthony Rendon, Strausberg,……need I go on?

they say owners areny stupid with finance or would not be wealthy enough to buy a team. I’m not so sure? NFL also.

TB STL ,SF, HOU, SEA….some teams seem to get more and have less big contracts? SF HOU STL KC at least win titles. PITT CIN OAK get a good young player, gone soon.

as mentioned above, to go to a game. 5-6 hours with travel. $25-$50 parking, $100 ticket, $100 junk food, long lines, sharing armrest with a LW kook perhaps? Loud music, trick sounds, safety netting, bad calls censored off the replay. It can be a mess.
The prices are insane. I don’t know how a middle-class family can afford to go to these games.

And I also agree with flash that the BLM propaganda we saw in the NFL in 2020 and 21 was disgraceful. You still see BLM propaganda on ESPN all the time.

I will say the Atlanta Falcons have really good deals on food prices. They’re charging a few dollars for a hotdog or for a large popcorn. One of the only sports teams if not the only that does that in all the major sports in America.

That area needs some development. It is/was somewhat depressed. Will they draw fans there near where they play now? They have had some great competitive teams and they do not draw well. The Florida Marlins play in a mostly empty mausoleum that is a newer stadium.

That area needs some development. It is/was somewhat depressed. Will they draw fans there near where they play now? They have had some great competitive teams and they do not draw well. The Florida Marlins play in a mostly empty mausoleum that is a newer stadium.
There is a reason the Tampa Bay Ray's doesn't draw well and it is not the location of the stadium. The stadium is not too hard to get to because it is right off the Interstate with a special feed to the area.

It is because of all the assholes that move to Florida from "upnorth".

When the shitheads come here they maintain their sports loyalty to wherever the hell they they came from.

For instance, whey those NY Yankees come to play the Rays it is not unusual for there to be more turd NY fans than Rays fans.

This new plan for a new stadium doesn't even have parking areas. Just a bunch of stupid shops around the complex and even a stupid piece of shit "African American History Museum". LOL!

It will become a shithole a few year after it opens.

It will fail just like the similar developed area failed in Miami.

Ohtani a once in a generation baseball player, probably the greatest Babe Ruth. He should be the highest paid athlete in all sports. Mahomes has a $500 million contract with the Chiefs but he’s not a two-way player.

It’s the fans who pay for the salaries. They’re the ones willingly paying high prices for tickets.

Do you want to put a salary limit on ceos of businesses in America?

Ohtani is a once in a lifetime player so he should get that kind of once in a lifetime contract. I don’t think other baseball players will get a similar contract unless they can be a world-class pitcher and hit her at the same time.
Small market MLB teams are badly outspent by big market teams. The NFL has a salary cap and profit sharing which promotes financial parity. Baseball's popularity dwindles while the NFL's increases.

a roster of players only is ~25 guys ~$200million payroll per year. One 29yr old guy with surgeically repaired arm is worth 1/3 of the payroll? Again, he almost certainly won’t pitch next year. If ever again? I know I know, they usually can come back from arm surgeries.

He is right now an expensive DH (only recently added to the NL). Dislike the DH but its here now. Maybe he can play LF at some point? maybe pitch next year?

I hope the unlimited spending Dodgers fail miserably. Otahni too. He at one point said he would not go to LA so as not to stab the Angels org in the heart.

Signing TOR rumor would have been better for all. SEA or gulp NYY would be better. Stay in the AL.

Last edited:
a roster of players only is ~25 guys ~$200million payroll per year. One 29yr old guy with surgeically repaired arm is worth 1/3 of the payroll? Again, he almost certainly won’t pitch next year. If ever again? I know I know, they usually can come back from arm surgeries.

He is right now an expensive DH (only recently added to the NL). Dislike the DH but its here now. Maybe he can play LF at some point? maybe pitch next year?

I hope the unlimited spending Dodgers fail miserably. Otahni too. He at one point said he would noypt go to LA so as not to stab the Angels org in the heart.

Signing TOR rumor would have been better for all. SEA or gulp NYY would be better. Stay in the AL.
Small market teams are at a disadvantage financially.

The Brewers threatened to move the team until the city of Milwaukee coughed up millions of taxpayer dollars to keep them.

Big market teams TV revenue big time trumps smaller markets teams so they have a significant advantage.
Big market NFL teams share revenue with small market teams. This is a reason why the NFL is very popular.

I hope the unlimited spending Dodgers fail miserably. Otahni too. He at one point said he would noypt go to LA so as not to stab the Angels org in the heart.

Otahni is certainly a great athlete. However, I think his time as an outstanding MBL player is limited. I can't see where the Dodgers can ever expect to get $700 million in value out of him. Maybe they are looking for the large Asian population of LA to maintain a loyal fan base over the years.

I understand basic Economics and the Law of Supply and Demand but I have no idea how sport stars have been able to get tens and even hundreds of millions in salaries.

To me the base salary of a professional sport figure should be in the $100K range and the top stars getting like $300K. At the end of the day they are nothing more than entertainers. Many of them are dumber than a door knob and are worthless outside of being able to run fast and jump high.

Of course those $80 mediocre seats, $20 hotdogs, $10 beers, and thousands of TV ads produce enough revenue to warrant paying that much.

Otahni is certainly a great athlete. However, I think his time as an outstanding MBL player is limited. I can't see where the Dodgers can ever expect to get $700 million in value out of him. Maybe they are looking for the large Asian population of LA to maintain a loyal fan base over the years.

I understand basic Economics and the Law of Supply and Demand but I have no idea how sport stars have been able to get tens and even hundreds of millions in salaries.

To me the base salary of a professional sport figure should be in the $100K range and the top stars getting like $300K. At the end of the day they are nothing more than entertainers. Many of them are dumber than a door knob and are worthless outside of being able to run fast and jump high.

Of course those $80 mediocre seats, $20 hotdogs, $10 beers, and thousands of TV ads produce enough revenue to warrant paying that much.
The Dodgers spend money like drunken Indians.

Higher ticket and concession prices will continue until fans wake-up.
Seriously....this is your retort.
Do you support a FAN STRIKE?

I'm old enough to remember when beloved Kirby Puckett signed for 3 Million a year, and I thought......this is getting out of hand.

Look at what has happened since the Early 90's.
Good or Bad.

I can still buy a ticket for under $30, it is PARKING prices that piss me off.
I understand there are alternatives to Stadium Parking, but at my age of 62, I prefer convenience. But $40 for parking is plenty and acceptable for me and my wife or Family, but NOT $100.

Forum List

Back