Beavers Return to San Jose After 158 Years

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Beaver colony sighted along Guadalupe River in downtown San Jose | abc7news.com

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- There is great excitement in the South Bay after a colony of beavers was discovered in downtown San Jose.

The animals have settled in along the Guadalupe River, right along a park trail. There have been beaver sightings along a creek in Martinez and also in the Los Gatos area but never before, to anyone's knowledge, in an urban setting in a park heavily used by runners, cyclists, and even school children. In fact, beavers haven't been seen in the valley in more than 150 years.

Over the past two weeks, video cameras equipped with night-vision lenses have captured a mother and two yearlings as they feed along the river in the dark. If you look closely, you can also tell that the mother is expecting. May is the typical month for giving birth.

"They have chosen this spot to raise the young, so we should be seeing some baby beavers pretty soon here," nature photographer Greg Kerekes told ABC7 News. He was also able to capture sound of the beavers chatting with each other.
A gnawed willow tree trunk was a sign they had settled in the area. "This is tremendously significant because the last reported beaver in the Santa Clara Valley were 1855. That's 158 years ago," beaver expert Rick lanman said.

The Guadalupe River is also used to teach school children about nature. Ducks and geese seem to get along with humans and the hope is, so will the beavers. "We're hoping that we can co-exist and that we can use them to illustrate how healthy our watershed is becoming and use this time as a benchmark to see what other species come back," said Leslee Hamilton with Guadalupe River Park Conservancy,
<more>

Beavers are tres cool.

I have them in abundance in the wetlands abutting my land

'Cept when they decided to eat my pear orchard, of course. That was very uncool of them.

But left to their own devices, they WILL make the land around their streams healthier and wildlife will return to the beaver ponds and wetlands they create.

IN the case of my stream, it was dying until the beavers came and damned it four or five years ago.

But by damming the stream they created a reservoir of water thus insuring that the stream doesn't go stagnant in the dry months.

Believe me when I say the whole ecology of that area are went from boring and mostly lifeless to abounding with birds, fish, amphibians, and wildlife.

Now, as one example, I have OTTERs in the pond that 20 years ago, was very nearly devoid of life.

Last edited:
Beavers are tres cool.

'Cept when they decided to eat my pear orchard, of course. That was very uncool of them.

But left to their own devices, they WILL make the land around their streams healthier and wildlife will return to the beaver ponds and wetlands they create.

IN the case of my stream, it was dying until the beavers came and damned it four or five years ago.

But by damming the stream they created a reservoir of water thus insuring that the stream doesn't go stagnant in the dry months.

Believe me when I say the whole ecology of that area are went from boring and mostly lifeless to abounding with birds, fish, amphibians, and wildlife.

Now, as one example, I have OTTERs in the pond that 20 years ago, was very nearly devoid of life.

yes until there gets to be too many of em

every year we have a beaver eradication weekend

at my brothers farm

to cut the numbers down

Beavers are tres cool.

at my brothers farm

to cut the numbers down

The areas very near me are protected from hunting and trapping

Left to their own devices beaver migrate to other steams and ponds when the population is too high.

Plus, at least hereabouts, the predators take a fair share too, I suspect.

But I can certainly see how a farmer losing his land to the beavers has little choice but to cull their activities selectively, too.

I was pretty tempted to do some selective culling myself when they destroyed my orchard, let me tell ya.

On the whole though, I'm glad they're here, despite the loss I took.

You can count on it, pretty soon the city of San Jose will establish a department of beaver security even while they are going broke.

Im sorry but i hate those little suckers . We live in Ga near a swamp. They keep building dams and when it rains it makes our streets flood dues the water cant go anywhere because they built the damn There is a pond in my back yard that is tied to the swamp and it gets backed up and floods the road. It sucks!! .

SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- There is great excitement in the South Bay after a colony of beavers was discovered in downtown San Jose.

The animals have settled in along the Guadalupe River, right along a park trail. There have been beaver sightings along a creek in Martinez and also in the Los Gatos area but never before, to anyone's knowledge, in an urban setting in a park heavily used by runners, cyclists, and even school children. In fact, beavers haven't been seen in the valley in more than 150 years.

Over the past two weeks, video cameras equipped with night-vision lenses have captured a mother and two yearlings as they feed along the river in the dark. If you look closely, you can also tell that the mother is expecting. May is the typical month for giving birth.

"They have chosen this spot to raise the young, so we should be seeing some baby beavers pretty soon here," nature photographer Greg Kerekes told ABC7 News. He was also able to capture sound of the beavers chatting with each other.
A gnawed willow tree trunk was a sign they had settled in the area. "This is tremendously significant because the last reported beaver in the Santa Clara Valley were 1855. That's 158 years ago," beaver expert Rick lanman said.

The Guadalupe River is also used to teach school children about nature. Ducks and geese seem to get along with humans and the hope is, so will the beavers. "We're hoping that we can co-exist and that we can use them to illustrate how healthy our watershed is becoming and use this time as a benchmark to see what other species come back," said Leslee Hamilton with Guadalupe River Park Conservancy,
<more>

Beavers Return to San Jose After 158 Years

Ooooohhhhhhh, the directions one could go with that headline........... :thup:

:lol:

Beavers are tres cool.

at my brothers farm

to cut the numbers down

Farmers hate anything that isn't corn or soybeans. Around here, they are busily ripping out trees and leveling out terraces so that they can farm with the new, really big equipment. Nothing damages the environment like subidized American commodity farmers.

Going to have to register their teeth.

Seriously people! They are about to dam up a stream in a city park. Fine for beavers but sucks for squirrels and people who's property gets flooded.

There's a reason there hasn't been beavers there for 150 years. Beavers and humans can't occupy the same area.
Let's just seize all California property and turn it over to mice and owls and cute furry creatures.

Im sorry but i hate those little suckers . We live in Ga near a swamp. They keep building dams and when it rains it makes our streets flood dues the water cant go anywhere because they built the damn There is a pond in my back yard that is tied to the swamp and it gets backed up and floods the road. It sucks!! .

<more>

dynamite_1-300x300.jpg

Beavers are tres cool.

at my brothers farm

to cut the numbers down

Farmers hate anything that isn't corn or soybeans. Around here, they are busily ripping out trees and leveling out terraces so that they can farm with the new, really big equipment. Nothing damages the environment like subidized American commodity farmers.

Do you get the concept of property ownership? Hint: They are not your trees. Do you eat? What about corn? Is growing corn for food bad, but growing it for fuel good?

at my brothers farm

to cut the numbers down

Do you get the concept of property ownership? Hint: They are not your trees. Do you eat? What about corn? Is growing corn for food bad, but growing it for fuel good?

plus it is untrue

that farmers hate everything not corn or soy

sad really that the left is so willing to dis the farmer so

Forum List

Back