Beavers Return to San Jose After 158 Years

Farmers hate anything that isn't corn or soybeans. Around here, they are busily ripping out trees and leveling out terraces so that they can farm with the new, really big equipment. Nothing damages the environment like subidized American commodity farmers.

Do you get the concept of property ownership? Hint: They are not your trees. Do you eat? What about corn? Is growing corn for food bad, but growing it for fuel good?

plus it is untrue

that farmers hate everything not corn or soy

More money in peanuts unless you have a good source of water to irrigate corn.

sad really that the left is so willing to dis the farmer so

Best return/acre down here is sod.

Damned if I know why farmers are boogy men. I guess the guy working 400 acres is an "agribusiness" conglomerate.

Beavers are tres cool.

I have them in abundance in the wetlands abutting my land

'Cept when they decided to eat my pear orchard, of course. That was very uncool of them.

But left to their own devices, they WILL make the land around their streams healthier and wildlife will return to the beaver ponds and wetlands they create.

IN the case of my stream, it was dying until the beavers came and damned it four or five years ago.

But by damming the stream they created a reservoir of water thus insuring that the stream doesn't go stagnant in the dry months.

Believe me when I say the whole ecology of that area are went from boring and mostly lifeless to abounding with birds, fish, amphibians, and wildlife.

Now, as one example, I have OTTERs in the pond that 20 years ago, was very nearly devoid of life.

yes until there gets to be too many of em

every year we have a beaver eradication weekend

at my brothers farm

to cut the numbers down

Farmers hate anything that isn't corn or soybeans. Around here, they are busily ripping out trees and leveling out terraces so that they can farm with the new, really big equipment. Nothing damages the environment like subidized American commodity farmers.

I prefer house farms where we can rip out trees, level terraces, eradicate arable land, plant non-native flora and make tons of money selling sub par, poorly constructed, enormous super sized products. :thup:

Beavers? Dam!

There were some on a property I used to have. Fascinating animals.

The video is a "feel good" report on how, somehow, Man is providing for the animals to return to their natural habitat.

It then shows the Guadalupe "river" which is now nothing but a stream.

When San Jose was founded in 1777, the river was very large and often flooded to cover land now occupied by Santa Clara. It WAS TOO BIG for beavers!

Yes, beavers did live in the area, but in the small streams and creeks feeding the river. They were either killed for their hides or simply fled as Man stripped away the trees they lived on.

It's been closer to 240 years since the animals flourished in or around San Jose! And the river has been diminished to nearly nothing due to irrigation and use by human beings.

So, what's the big deal about this? And, how long until we hear complaints that the animals have created a dam which will flood surrounding areas and infringe upon humans?

I can see it coming - SAVE THE BEAVERS! Relocate them to .....

Forum List

Back