Because most Americans do not understand how our government even works, should their be a mandate...

...to educate them?

When you get down to brass tacks, there is A LOT to learn about the way the federal government operates. The procedure in congress, for instance, when it comes to legislation is very complex. Do you really think most American voters understand it?

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of how the three branches of government operate is limited to an outline of sorts. It's actually very complex and more nuanced than people think it is. It takes years of education in public policy to even understand it all.

Think of it this way: maybe in school growing up you watched the "Schoolhouse Rock!" episode of how a bill is advanced and you got a very basic spiel about the Checks and Balances system through a fun song. Now does that mean you understand the totality of ANY the concepts offered in that cartoon? NO! Someone in the 6th grade more than likely doesn't care about researching the topic further.

I cant remember the exact percentage, but the last poll I read on the subject said that a majority of American adults cannot even name all 3 branches of government let alone have a basic understanding of how they operate among each other!

In other words, how to we fix this problem? I mean seriously think about this: when someone turns 18, the government decides that that person understands how the federal and state government operates and therefore has the right to vote. THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE BECAUSE OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IS A JOKE - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CIVICS. We might as well allow 6th graders the right to vote because they heard the song about how a bill is passed.
Actually, the Framers anticipated this, and created a Constitutional Republic rather than a democracy – a Republic whose citizens would be subject solely to the rule of law, not men, as men are incapable of ruling justly.

What they didn’t anticipate, unfortunately, was the right’s reckless, irresponsible contempt of, and disregard for, that rule of law.

...to educate them?

When you get down to brass tacks, there is A LOT to learn about the way the federal government operates. The procedure in congress, for instance, when it comes to legislation is very complex. Do you really think most American voters understand it?

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of how the three branches of government operate is limited to an outline of sorts. It's actually very complex and more nuanced than people think it is. It takes years of education in public policy to even understand it all.

Think of it this way: maybe in school growing up you watched the "Schoolhouse Rock!" episode of how a bill is advanced and you got a very basic spiel about the Checks and Balances system through a fun song. Now does that mean you understand the totality of ANY the concepts offered in that cartoon? NO! Someone in the 6th grade more than likely doesn't care about researching the topic further.

I cant remember the exact percentage, but the last poll I read on the subject said that a majority of American adults cannot even name all 3 branches of government let alone have a basic understanding of how they operate among each other!

In other words, how to we fix this problem? I mean seriously think about this: when someone turns 18, the government decides that that person understands how the federal and state government operates and therefore has the right to vote. THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE BECAUSE OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IS A JOKE - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CIVICS. We might as well allow 6th graders the right to vote because they heard the song about how a bill is passed.

Another far left drones that proves they do not understand how government works..

The irony impaired thread/post is stuff you can not make up!

Ah but what you said was that everybody --- literally, everybody --- should have their own car when obviously that would (a) choke the roads and (b) is not universally necessary anyway.

This is one of the benefifts of living in a city and the reason they exist --- concentration of resources. And it's one of the necessary evils of living in the sticks. Without a car here I'd be fucked. That wasn't always true of course before cars existed, but it's the product of how we're set up. But in a city I wouldn't need that stone around my neck and it would be a detriment to society as well as a drag on myself.

A very small percentage of people in the city use public transportation. Here taxpayers even have to subsidize our busses otherwise they would go out of business. Up north, there is nothing worse than standing at a bus stop at 5:30 am in a snowstorm waiting for your bus that will likely be late.

I live on the east side of the greater Cleveland area but I work on the west side about 20 miles from my home. I would have to transfer to two, three or even four busses to make it to work, and then have to do the same going back. In my car, I make it to work in 25 minutes. If I had to use public transportation, just going to work would take me an hour and a half. That's why few use public transportation, so yes, people need cars to get to work on time.

Pfft. Abstract concept. Properties are not sold on "beautiful yard". They're sold on structure and location. All "beautiful yard" does is catch the eye initially. And again all that benefits is the seller. The property gets taxed whether that seller unloads it or not.

Of course well kept yards keep property value up. That's why most cities have laws about how to maintain your property. They have maximum grass length, maximum hedge height, time limits on when you can take your garbage out and when you have to retrieve the garbage cans, house colors, fence height restrictions, all kinds of regulations to keep the property value up in a city. Even if you have an eye on a very nice house, if the neighbors house next door has busted windows, paint peeling off, grass a foot high, and the color of the neighbors house is bright green with pink shutters, you are not going to want to buy there.

And as such it's priced out of the range of way too many. Again, because of how we're set up, there's capitalism again. It kept me and my siblings out, so nah I really don't wanna hear more abstract theory that doesn't fly in the real world.

Nothing abstract about it. Colleges have been charging more and more every year because they don't need to attract students--students need their acceptance to get in. In fact for profit colleges have a 20% profit margin. If you have a for sale sign on your car window because you want to sell it for $15,,000, and people are knocking your door down to buy it, you would be able to sell it for much more than $15,000. That's what's happening with our colleges today.

Ah so you want the government running industry. Didn't another country try that? Germany was it?

No, I don't want government running anything. But if government is going to pay for investments, it's only fair that they pay for all investments.

...to educate them?

Requiring a civics test on your local, state, and federal govt., in English, would be desirable, certainly; you can vote in any or all them according to the tests you pass, can't vote in those you fail. If you can't pass any of those tests allowing you to vote is just ridiculous. We all know why that won't happen, though.
What bearing does civics have to do with your ability to vote

Ah but what you said was that everybody --- literally, everybody --- should have their own car when obviously that would (a) choke the roads and (b) is not universally necessary anyway.

This is one of the benefifts of living in a city and the reason they exist --- concentration of resources. And it's one of the necessary evils of living in the sticks. Without a car here I'd be fucked. That wasn't always true of course before cars existed, but it's the product of how we're set up. But in a city I wouldn't need that stone around my neck and it would be a detriment to society as well as a drag on myself.

A very small percentage of people in the city use public transportation. Here taxpayers even have to subsidize our busses otherwise they would go out of business. Up north, there is nothing worse than standing at a bus stop at 5:30 am in a snowstorm waiting for your bus that will likely be late.

I live on the east side of the greater Cleveland area but I work on the west side about 20 miles from my home. I would have to transfer to two, three or even four busses to make it to work, and then have to do the same going back. In my car, I make it to work in 25 minutes. If I had to use public transportation, just going to work would take me an hour and a half. That's why few use public transportation, so yes, people need cars to get to work on time.

Pfft. Abstract concept. Properties are not sold on "beautiful yard". They're sold on structure and location. All "beautiful yard" does is catch the eye initially. And again all that benefits is the seller. The property gets taxed whether that seller unloads it or not.

Of course well kept yards keep property value up. That's why most cities have laws about how to maintain your property. They have maximum grass length, maximum hedge height, time limits on when you can take your garbage out and when you have to retrieve the garbage cans, house colors, fence height restrictions, all kinds of regulations to keep the property value up in a city. Even if you have an eye on a very nice house, if the neighbors house next door has busted windows, paint peeling off, grass a foot high, and the color of the neighbors house is bright green with pink shutters, you are not going to want to buy there.

And as such it's priced out of the range of way too many. Again, because of how we're set up, there's capitalism again. It kept me and my siblings out, so nah I really don't wanna hear more abstract theory that doesn't fly in the real world.

Nothing abstract about it. Colleges have been charging more and more every year because they don't need to attract students--students need their acceptance to get in. In fact for profit colleges have a 20% profit margin. If you have a for sale sign on your car window because you want to sell it for $15,,000, and people are knocking your door down to buy it, you would be able to sell it for much more than $15,000. That's what's happening with our colleges today.

Ah so you want the government running industry. Didn't another country try that? Germany was it?

No, I don't want government running anything. But if government is going to pay for investments, it's only fair that they pay for all investments.
That is why Cleveland is a second rate city

Most major cities rely on public transportation to move people about. Parking facilities are very wasteful in city planning

Most major cities rely on public transportation to move people about. Parking facilities are very wasteful in city planning

I see, so you use public transportation everywhere you go?

...to educate them?

Requiring a civics test on your local, state, and federal govt., in English, would be desirable, certainly; you can vote in any or all them according to the tests you pass, can't vote in those you fail. If you can't pass any of those tests allowing you to vote is just ridiculous. We all know why that won't happen, though.
The issue I have is that people don't understand what branch has what power. For instance, what executive functions does each branch have? Or how about, what the house ignore representives does verses what the senate does?

I live in outer suburbs where it is not needed
I have not been in a major city where public transportation was not essential

Guess Cleveland is not Big Time

...to educate them?

The issue I have is that people don't understand what branch has what power. For instance, what executive functions does each branch have? Or how about, what the house ignore representives does verses what the senate does?
People on this board are government geeks. We dwell on minute details and their significance

Most people do not care

A voter does not need to know other than candidate A represents my interests more than candidate B

Fun Fact from the Nixon era ... when the Voting Rights Act came up for a renewal after its five year limit was up, there was a big debate on removing the restrictions on the southern states re literacy tests being required to register to vote. Most people today don't realize that most of the Act's federal restrictions only applied to the South, not the rest of the states; northern Democrats and Republicans alike voted themselves exemptions for several of the clauses, and both PArties were fine with the restrictions as long as they themselves weren't subjected to them. In any case, Nixon decided to extend the Act, and make it apply to all states, i.e. the other 14 states outside the south that had them, like California and New York.

Of course they raised holy hell, so Arthur Burns dreamed up and 'out' for them, one that only required having a 6th education or above as an alternative choice. A big chunk of the Republicans opposed doing away with the literacy tests because 'illiterates never vote Republican'. Nixon managed to anger everybody, which has far more to do with his impeachment than some two burglary did. It finally washed out differently, but its still noteworthy; pols were huge phonies then as now.

Another Fun Fact is that while the northeastern liberals were all patting themselves on the back over 'desegregation' of schools in the South and their 'anti-racism n stuff', they were nearly all busy re-integrating their own school systems, and of course when Nixon also made school desegregation apply nationally as well, they rioted and threw bricks at school kids in the busses, another policy that helped get the votes to impeach him. When the riots hit D.C., wonderful 'anti-racist' liberals like Katherine Graham, who owned the Washington Post then, and James Califano, who were all for sticking it to southern states and encouraged violence, suddenly wet themselves and whined for Nixon to impose martial law and start gunning them down in the streets. They're all frauds and NIMBY babies.

Reminds me of the local editorial writer who said he 'was all for mass transit, because it would make his drive downtown much more pleasant'.

Most of the 'mass transit' around here was designed to help the maids and gardeners for the wealthy neighborhoods get to work and back.

...to educate them?

People on this board are government geeks. We dwell on minute details and their significance

Most people do not care

A voter does not need to know other than candidate A represents my interests more than candidate B
Yes, but if those candidates lie as they often do, being educated on basic subjects will serve them.

Snowflakes discovered too late Presidents were elected via the Electoral College process, not by a 'Popularity Contest'. At that point they believed the socially accepted protocol was to engage in terrorism by threatening the lives of the Electoral College voters in an attempt to steal an election that had already been decided.

:p

Snowflakes discovered too late Presidents were elected via the Electoral College process, not by a 'Popularity Contest'. At that point they believed the socially accepted protocol was to engage in terrorism by threatening the lives of the Electoral College voters in an attempt to steal an election that had already been decided.

:p
\
And they found out they can make their weekend dope money by answering Democratic Party ads on Craig's List and the cops won't bother them in certain cities.

You want better educated people in the world? Educate yourself and then there will be one less uneducated person in the world

Yes, I'll begin. It should be "there" not "their" in title.
Ah you got me! I can live with the typo though.

That's part of the problem. Rather than fix it you are fine living with it.

I make typos often because of the small buttons on the phone and autocorrect. But I fix them when I find them out

Education is often in the little things. We should always strive for our best.

Reminds me of the local editorial writer who said he 'was all for mass transit, because it would make his drive downtown much more pleasant'.

Most of the 'mass transit' around here was designed to help the maids and gardeners for the wealthy neighborhoods get to work and back.

Over here, mass transit is used for people who are not smart enough to get a drivers license or those not smart enough to keep one. Other than that, mass transit is basically useless.

Our sales tax in this county charges us 1% of sales that go to the bus lines. While that may not sound like much, it's 75% of the bus lines revenue. In other words, without unfairly taxing people to support the busses, there would be no busses.

Over here, mass transit is used for people who are not smart enough to get a drivers license or those not smart enough to keep one. Other than that, mass transit is basically useless.

Our sales tax in this county charges us 1% of sales that go to the bus lines. While that may not sound like much, it's 75% of the bus lines revenue. In other words, without unfairly taxing people to support the busses, there would be no busses.
Proving Cleveland to be a second tier city

...to educate them?

Sadly some people - Trump is a very good example - can't learn and any effort to educate them is a waste of time.

Forum List

Back