🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

The Bucs were better than today's Seahawks.

Seattle allowed 40 more points over the season than Tampa and 300 more yards.

2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN
2002 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

And THAT has what to do with the Superbowl performances?

The best defensive team, not best defensive performance.

The best defensive performance was the 85 Bears. I think they held the Pats to negative yards in the first half

The best defensive performance was the 85 Bears. I think they held the Pats to negative yards in the first half

In 85 the Patriots were 11-5 in the regular season and ranked 10th in offense....14th in passing offense. A wild card entry into the playoffs...the Pats were lucky to even make it to the Superbowl. Seattle faced a MUCH better offense than did Chicago which won 46-10.

Denver had nearly 2,000 more yards on offense in 2013 than the 85 Patriots.

I'm curious what the betting line was in that Chicago Patriots Superbowl. Seattle WAS officially the underdog. My guess is that da Bears were favored..anybody know?

Last edited:
Who is the best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

As far as I'm concerned, the Seahawks are No.2.

Nobody was more dominating on defense than the '85 Bears.

Funny thing is the '85 won the superbowl, but it was the '86 Bears' defense that set all the records, but they chocked in the playoffs

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

Funny thing is the '85 won the superbowl, but it was the '86 Bears' defense that set all the records, but they chocked in the playoffs

Giants kicked their ass

In 85 the Patriots were 11-5 in the regular season and ranked 10th in offense....14th in passing offense. A wild card entry into the playoffs...the Pats were lucky to even make it to the Superbowl. Seattle faced a MUCH better offense than did Chicago which won 46-10.

I'm curious what the betting line was in that Chicago Patriots Superbowl. Seattle WAS officially the underdog. My guess is that da Bears were favored..anybody know?

The championship is more than one game

The 85 Bears Defense carried the team. They dominated the league

Chicago was an 11 point favourite.

Point Spreads for every Super Bowl

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

Giants kicked their ass

Actually, it was my Redskins that kicked their ass. The Redskins beat the Bears 27-13 but lost to the Giants in the NFC title game. We finished 12-4 that year. The Giants were 14-2. Washington won its 2nd Superbowl the following year against Denver.

The Bucs were better than today's Seahawks.

Seattle allowed 40 more points over the season than Tampa and 300 more yards.

2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN
2002 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Ya.. cuz Seattle only allowed the best offense EVER in the NFL 8 points and the Bears allowed a pedestrian offense 10 points. So if we were talking the best defensive performance ia a Superbowl the Hawks would rate higher than Da Bears.

Ya.. cuz Seattle only allowed the best offense EVER in the NFL 8 points and the Bears allowed a pedestrian offense 10 points. So if we were talking the best defensive performance ia a Superbowl the Hawks would rate higher than Da Bears.
The Bears only allowed 10 points through the entire playoffs!

For the record, the Rams had the greatest defensive line in the history of the NFL.

The Fearsome Foursome:

Merlin Olsen
Deacon Jones
Lamar Lundy
Rosie Greer

The Steel Curtain was the nickname given to the famous defensive line of the American football team Pittsburgh Steelers during their 1970s dynasty years.

This defense was the backbone of the Steelers dynasty that won four Super Bowls (IX, X, XIII, and XIV). Over the years, the nickname evolved into a reference to the entire defensive squad.

In the 1976 season, the Steelers' defense was a juggernaut, arguably the greatest defense of all time. After the Steelers started 1-4 and lost their quarterback, Terry Bradshaw, the Steelers' defense took over.

In eight of the next nine games, the defense didn't allow a single touchdown, shutting out opponents five times including three consecutive games. During this nine game stretch the Steelers allowed a total of two touchdowns and five field goals. The defense also allowed an average 3.1 points per game and the team had a 22 points average margin of victory. Eight of the Steelers starting eleven defensive players were selected for the Pro Bowl, and four were eventually selected to the Hall of Fame.

"Mean" Joe Greene
L.C. “Hollywood Bags” Greenwood
Dwight “Mad Dog” White
Ernie “Fats” Holmes
Pittsburgh Steelers: The NFL's Steel Curtain | Bleacher Report

The Bears only allowed 10 points through the entire playoffs!

Well then go to the admin and request a change of thread title to "The Best Defense In The Playoffs".

Job done...easy peezy !!

Points isn't the only yard stick. Here are a few stats from SBs XX and XLVIII

Total net yards
NE 123
Denver 306

Total rushing yards
NE 7
Denver 27

Total first downs
NE 12
Denver 18

Yards lost sacked
NE 68
Denver 1

Time of possession
NE 20:45
Denver 28:07

Super Bowl XX Box Score: Chicago 46, New England 10
Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos - Box Score - February 02, 2014 - ESPN

The Bears were better. And I'm a Vikings fan and hate the Bears.

Points isn't the only yard stick. Here are a few stats from SBs XX and XLVIII

Total net yards
NE 123
Denver 306

Total rushing yards
NE 7
Denver 27

Total first downs
NE 12
Denver 18

Yards lost sacked
NE 68
Denver 1

Time of possession
NE 20:45
Denver 28:07

Super Bowl XX Box Score: Chicago 46, New England 10
Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos - Box Score - February 02, 2014 - ESPN

The Bears were better. And I'm a Vikings fan and hate the Bears.

I won't dispute that Da Bears had an easier time controling a slightly better than average offense in the 86 Superbowl than the Seahawks did in nearly shutting out arguably the most potent offense in the history of the NFL in last Sundays championship.

I'm not even going to state flatly that the Seahawks were better than the Bears in that one final game of each's season. All I suggest is that we consider what each defense was facing realistically and with the discount any reasonable person must assign to the Bears final score compared to what the Seahawks had to deal with one must conclude that their victory and final score was at the very least..even considering the ground stats.. comparable enough for an argument that the Hawks did a better job.

So here's another way of looking at the Bears in SB XX

3 points came off turnovers. On their second play of the game, Walter Payton fumbled and the Pats recovered on the Chicago 19. They had 3 plays for 0 yards and kicked a FG.

Here are NE's drives in the first half

1st drive --> 3 plays, 0 yards, FG
2nd drive --> 3 plays, -10 yards, punt
3rd drive --> 2 plays, -7 yards, fumble
4th drive --> 1 play, -5 yards, fumble
5th drive --> 3 plays, -1 yard, punt
6th drive --> 3 plays, -13 yards, punt
7th drive --> 6 plays, 17 yards, punt

So, in the first half, NE had -19 yards in offense and 1 first down.

Here are NE's drives in the second half

8th drive --> 6 plays, 12 yards, punt
9th drive --> 3 plays, 3 yards, INT returned for a TD
10th drive --> 2 plays, 19 yards, fumble

USATODAY.com - Super Bowl XX play-by-play

By this time, it's 44-3 with 2 minutes to play in the 3rd quarter. NE had 2 first downs, 15 yards in offense and 4 turnovers.

Seattle's defense was good but not that good.

I won't dispute that Da Bears had an easier time controling a slightly better than average offense in the 86 Superbowl than the Seahawks did in nearly shutting out arguably the most potent offense in the history of the NFL in last Sundays championship.

I'm not even going to state flatly that the Seahawks were better than the Bears in that one final game of each's season. All I suggest is that we consider what each defense was facing realistically and with the discount any reasonable person must assign to the Bears final score compared to what the Seahawks had to deal with one must conclude that their victory and final score was at the very least..even considering the ground stats.. comparable enough for an argument that the Hawks did a better job.

I don't know if they did a better job, but I would say that it was probably the most surprising dominant performance in SB history, and certainly one of the best played SB games. The only other one that comes to mind was Washington's 42-10 victory over Denver, but that had more to do with Denver collapsing in the second quarter than Washington being awesome. The Seahawks were outstanding.

As a Vikings fan, I hate to say it, but the best defensive performance was SB IX. The Steelers shut out the Vikings. The only points the Vikings put up was due to a blocked kick taken in for a score. They had a knack for blocking punts and field goals back then. The whole SB was a big defensive game. It was 2-0 at halftime. The Steelers defense got a safety and the Vikings shut down the Steelers offense. Franco Harris got going in the second half and the Steelers got the win.

Forum List

Back