Best Opening Lines in Music

A thread for songs that immediately grip you with their excellent opening lines (lyrics).

For example...

"Heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who... heard it from another you been messin' around."

Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon

First when there's nothing but a slow glowin' dream. . .

Last edited:
I haven't gone through the whole thread...

This is my contribution..

"Let's Go Crazy"
Prince

"Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today to get through this thing called life"

I like that opening!

"You look pretty in your fancy dress,
but I detect unhappiness.
You never speak, so I have to guess you're not free."

Old Enough - The Raconteurs feat. Ricky Scaggs and Ashley Monroe

what is this that stands before me?
figure in black which points at me........... turn around quick

& start to run ...
find out ~
i'm the chosen one........

in the 70’s my friends and I were forced to attend a high school in the South Bronx, we didn’t want to go and the neighborhood told us they didn’t want us there either. Many mornings, while waiting at the corner of E Tremont and Bruckner for the bus to Stevenson HS, we’d say “fuck it, not today” and spend the day listening to vinyl. My friend had a record by this new group Black Sabbath and we were curious. It starts with the rain and the eerie, ominous octaves on the guitar (I later learned that Iommi tuned the guitar down 1/2 step to Eb to get the mood) When Ozzy started singing those lines I practically bolted out of the room! He sounded other worldly!

Great opening line

in the 70’s my friends and I were forced to attend a high school in the South Bronx, we didn’t want to go and the neighborhood told us they didn’t want us there either. Many mornings, while waiting at the corner of E Tremont and Bruckner for the bus to Stevenson HS, we’d say “fuck it, not today” and spend the day listening to vinyl. My friend had a record by this new group Black Sabbath and we were curious. It starts with the rain and the eerie, ominous octaves on the guitar (I later learned that Iommi tuned the guitar down 1/2 step to Eb to get the mood) When Ozzy started singing those lines I practically bolted out of the room! He sounded other worldly!

Great opening line

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance,

'cause it's a bittersweet symphony - that's life
try'in to make ends meet, you're a slave to money then you die
i'll take you down the only road i've ever been down
you know the one that takes you to the places - where all the veins meet - ya.....

Forum List

Back