Bible Questions

Hey guys. All you have to do with somebody like Hollie is to counter her fiction with the best available truth. It is pretty obvious to anybody who has studied this stuff on even a rudimentary level, that she can't deal with any sort of scholarly argument. But give her back what she gives, and you allow her to smugly give herself credit for showing up these eeeeevul Christians, and probably the Jews, yet again.

I hope you don't delete your subscription just yet, Hortysir. But I understand if you do. :(

Well...Hollie is gonna have to talk to herself for awhile cuz I plan on settling down with Hubby and watching The Ten Commandments on tv. It just came on about 25 minutes ago. Yes, I have seen it many many times, but it's Easter tomorrow. Gotta have my yearly fix of this movie. :)

Hey guys. All you have to do with somebody like Hollie is to counter her fiction with the best available truth. It is pretty obvious to anybody who has studied this stuff on even a rudimentary level, that she can't deal with any sort of scholarly argument. But give her back what she gives, and you allow her to smugly give herself credit for showing up these eeeeevul Christians, and probably the Jews, yet again.

Looks like the Christian militia is gearing up for a fight. You fine folks aren't still in Inquisition mode, right?

Well...Hollie is gonna have to talk to herself for awhile cuz I plan on settling down with Hubby and watching The Ten Commandments on tv. It just came on about 25 minutes ago. Yes, I have seen it many many times, but it's Easter tomorrow. Gotta have my yearly fix of this movie. :)

Hope you watch it with your Bible on your lap, Grace. The producers, editors, director did a commendable job sticking with the Biblical story line with a very few variations for editorial effect.

What scholarly argument have you offered?

Why did your gods lie in the Genesis tale?

Looks like the Christian militia is gearing up for a fight. You fine folks aren't still in Inquisition mode, right?

You'll have to look elsewhere for any kind of militia, Hollie, let alone a Christian one. I don't fight about religion with anybody. I'll give my best understanding of the foundations and applications of beliefs, theology, and practice, but I won't fight with anybody about it. I don't try to destroy the faith and belief of others. Not even dedicated Atheists. But if God is able to use me and a message board to have a civil discussion among those who actually are interested in the topic, then it's all good.

You'll have to look elsewhere for any kind of militia, Hollie, let alone a Christian one. I don't fight about religion with anybody. I'll give my best understanding of the foundations and applications of beliefs, theology, and practice, but I won't fight with anybody about it. I don't try to destroy the faith and belief of others. Not even dedicated Atheists. But if God is able to use me and a message board to have a civil discussion among those who actually are interested in the topic, then it's all good.

I've found that Christians tend to view any questioning of their faith as an immediate attack.

Look at the reaction of the Christians in this thread to any requirement for facts to support all the varying interpretations of how scripture is to be viewed. There's an apparent siege mentality with the religiously insane types as represented by koshergirl being the wannabe suicide bomber.

I got a bible from my sister as a gift. I am going to start reading it soon and have started briefly..little at a time. To mentally digest, so to speak. I am spiritual but the bible itself I don't take much stock in. Why read it, then, you may ask? Because I can learn things. Some I will take at face value, some I will be suspicious about because...in my opinion...it was written BY man FOR man. And no man was perfect and had agendas since the beginning of time..which means all those translations can't be perfectly correct.

Anyway..I digress. I am going to read it...maybe hopping around, maybe from front to back. I won't know until I delve in to it more. So this is where you guys come in. The ones that DO believe the bible wholeheartedly. I ask for opinions. Some I will accept. Some I will not. Depends on what feels "right" to me, since I also believe each person has their own path, their own beliefs, their own gut instinct of what seems to be right for them..individually.

So for my very first question, here is a quote that made me stop reading for awhile until I digest what your opinions are in the meaning of the following:

26 And God went on to say: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth.”27And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.

1. Who is US and OUR?
2. If God is spiritual and not flesh and blood...how does a spirit have form to look humanoid?

I'm sure this has been answered but I'm going to offer my answer anyway.

The "us", "our" refers to the Holy Trinity. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
so which ones of the Trinity are female? God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:

I've found that Christians tend to view any questioning of their faith as an immediate attack.

Look at the reaction of the Christians in this thread to any requirement for facts to support all the varying interpretations of how scripture is to be viewed. There's an apparent siege mentality with the religiously insane types as represented by koshergirl being the wannabe suicide bomber.

It is true, some Christians defend their fiath in an unpleasant manner which is unfortunate, and I am sure it grieves the Holy Spirit for nobody will be drawn to God in that kind of exchange.

However, you cannot blame Christians for not feeding you links, knowing that you routinely dismiss them as bogus, most especially when you back up your accusations with little or nothing more than your own (wrong) opinion. It's just the way it usually is.

:clap2:

I got a bible from my sister as a gift. I am going to start reading it soon and have started briefly..little at a time. To mentally digest, so to speak. I am spiritual but the bible itself I don't take much stock in. Why read it, then, you may ask? Because I can learn things. Some I will take at face value, some I will be suspicious about because...in my opinion...it was written BY man FOR man. And no man was perfect and had agendas since the beginning of time..which means all those translations can't be perfectly correct.

Anyway..I digress. I am going to read it...maybe hopping around, maybe from front to back. I won't know until I delve in to it more. So this is where you guys come in. The ones that DO believe the bible wholeheartedly. I ask for opinions. Some I will accept. Some I will not. Depends on what feels "right" to me, since I also believe each person has their own path, their own beliefs, their own gut instinct of what seems to be right for them..individually.

So for my very first question, here is a quote that made me stop reading for awhile until I digest what your opinions are in the meaning of the following:

26 And God went on to say: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth.”27And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.

1. Who is US and OUR?
2. If God is spiritual and not flesh and blood...how does a spirit have form to look humanoid?

See above bold and blue.
Gracie asked for the opinions of believers. I'm asking for my fellow atheist's to honor her request.
No mod action, just me wagging a finger.

Nice finger waggle. Do you play the piano perchance? Surgeon? Or just really nice waggly fingers? ;)

I see nothing of value that you add with your juvenile pestering.

Oh, the neg rep and vile comment makes you what, a total imbecile?

I suggested to Gracie that she keep an open mind to read and learn.

You ridicule and belittle at every turn.

Juvenile? Thy name is Hollie.

Calling you a Troll is not vile, just fact.
:fu:

Your major objection is that you don't like your religious beliefs challenged.

Given the ineluctable occurrence of human error, it is necessary and essential to incorporate into any discipline a self-critical, self-corrective component. Ongoing objective observation, repeated testing and critical results analysis, comparative theorizations - all human knowledge is subject to such demanding intellectual requirements. Many a sacred cow (including yours), has been felled by such tireless exercise of cerebral faculties.

If you don't have the emotional and intellectual faculties to deal with your sacred cows being challenged, you really should not lead your cows to a public forum.

In other words, you haven't got a clue as to what you are talking about, Hollie. I believe this gentleman has it correct. Concerning your motives for the vitriolic attitude towards Christians. - Jeremiah

1. Who is US and OUR?

The truth is that it wasn't God that created man but man that created gods (plural). They were created as explanations for things that man had no other knowledge to explain.

The answers that you are going to find in this forum are going to be both helpful and distracting. The bible itself was written and edited by many people over the ages. The parts that are missing are even more illuminating than the parts that remain. The mistranslations are going to take you down rabbit holes.

So the only guides that you need when it comes to reading the bible is your own spirituality and common sense. If what you read makes no sense (If God is spiritual and not flesh and blood...how does a spirit have form to look humanoid?) then look at the source. That was written by someone trying to explain something to illiterate folks who were goat herders and subsistence farmers.

You have stumbled across the first of many contradictions in the bible. Only 438 still to go.

If God is spiritual and not flesh and blood...how does a spirit have form to look humanoid?

biblecontradictions-reasonproject.png

It is true, some Christians defend their fiath in an unpleasant manner which is unfortunate, and I am sure it grieves the Holy Spirit for nobody will be drawn to God in that kind of exchange.

However, you cannot blame Christians for not feeding you links, knowing that you routinely dismiss them as bogus, most especially when you back up your accusations with little or nothing more than your own (wrong) opinion. It's just the way it usually is.

Technically it is unchristian to do so. Foxfyre must be credited for being civil in the defense of his/her faith even if he/she doesn't comprehend many aspects of how it impinges on the lives of nonbelievers. Nothing is served by vitriol except to harden the positions of each side. Both sides must be open to understanding the valid points of the other. Neither side is either completely right nor completely wrong. Until Christians are willing to acknowledge that they have no "God given right" to impose their beliefs on everyone else and Atheists acknowledge that Christians have the right to their beliefs this debate will never be resolved.

1. Who is US and OUR?

I think "Our" relates to life and love we reflect (image) in a connected oneness of creative expression.

Forum List

Back