Bill Maher insults Tebow

Do you support Bill Maher's vile insulting trash talking about Tebow/Jesus

• Yes, the 1st Amendment protects ass-wipe scum like Maher

Votes: 23 46.0%
  • No, Maher needs to have his show cancelled immediately

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No one cares what Hollywood morons say, its simply not news.

Votes: 23 46.0%

• Total voters
There is nothing in this entire universe, no action in all of history, no physical law you can point to and say, "This proves there is no God."

That's the simple fact. Insisting there is no God (as Grump just did) is as much a matter of faith as insisting there is.

But there are plenty of laws that can prove other things that we unproven last year, a decade ago, a century ago, a millenia ago. There is nothing that proves your god exists, period.

My insisting there is no god is not a matter of faith, it's a matter of logic...big difference...

Interesting because I got something completely different out of the film.

What I heard is that he always answered the question, "Is god real?" the very same way - "I don't know".

No matter what religion, his answer was always the same, "I don't know".

Who here can answer that question any other way?

You can wish and hope but, in the end, you really don't know.

Exactly correct. His contempt is for the people who insist that it's real, refuse to consider that it's not, and arrogantly proselytize with self-certainty. And also the hypocrisy. He has been particularly hard on Mormons and Scientologists, and Catholics for the child sodomy crimes. I think much more so than Jews, Hindus and Buddhists.

That's so...basic, though. I mean, it sort of sounds like a cop out to make Maher's uneasiness with religion seem more intellectual than visceral, which it isn't. I mean, if you know for certain that they certainly are not certain in their belief (and by the way, "uncertainty" is inherent in faith), why does it bother him that they pretend like they know? OK, they say they do...and? It's just a primal, childlike sense of contrariness to need to "correct" everybody on this point.

No worse than those that prothylise. In saying that, I have never seen Maher being uneasy about religion at all. He seems to find it funny, contemptuous, and sometimes weird. Unease though? Nope...

Dude I don't have a snowballs chance in hell to stand before God Justified for my actions, but at least I don't deny who he is.

If your god is all you say he is, then I doubt he'd send me to hell for something as pathetic and denying who he is....

Denial of him is the unforgivable sin. Just remember that.

According to humans. I'll take my chance with the Big Guy himself, if it ever comes to that, over the words of humans who seem to interpret, reinterpret and then bend his so-called words to meet their own needs.

And again, if doing so is an unforgivable sin, then he needs a thicker skin. There are a lot worse things in life than people ignoring your existance to worry about....

There is nothing in this entire universe, no action in all of history, no physical law you can point to and say, "This proves there is no God."

That's the simple fact. Insisting there is no God (as Grump just did) is as much a matter of faith as insisting there is.

But there are plenty of laws that can prove other things that we unproven last year, a decade ago, a century ago, a millenia ago. There is nothing that proves your god exists, period.
Then you understand nothing about faith.
My insisting there is no god is not a matter of faith, it's a matter of logic...big difference...
No. You hold a belief based on no evidence whatsoever.

That's faith, no logic.

That's faith, no logic.

Proof is not faith....
You are right there is no evidence of a god. never has been, never will be....

It is not a belief, it is a fact. There is no evidence of a god existing....Fact. End of story.

Your belief is not fact.

Tebow is a fine example for what he stands for.
Big money for mediocre players?

And? Are you saying rich people can't have a personal relationship with Jesus? It's got to be fake because they are rich?

I was just giving you a fine example of what he stands for. Just like a lot of other mediocre players being paid way more than they are worth.

I am a big believer in performance-based pay for professional athletes. They aren't owed a living, never mind a luxurious lifestyle. Let them earn it with their play, not their potential.

And rich people should thank Jesus. A lot of them aren't deserving.

Last edited:

That's faith, no logic.

Proof is not faith....
You are right there is no evidence of a god. never has been, never will be....

It is not a belief, it is a fact. There is no evidence of a god existing....Fact. End of story.

Your belief is not fact.
There is no evidence there cannot be a god. Fact. End of story.

Your belief is not fact.

I am a big believer in performance-based pay for professional athletes. They aren't owed a living, never mind a luxurious lifestyle. Let them earn it with their play, not their potential.

I am a big believer in performance-based pay for everyone. They aren't owed a living, never mind a luxurious lifestyle. Let them earn it with their work, not their potential.

And rich people should thank Jesus. A lot of them aren't deserving.
Funny how you feel you have the authority to decide that.

So you demand that their isn't any God? Who made you dictator to make such a demand?

So you demand that their isn't any God? Who made you dictator to make such a demand?

I'm not demanding anything. My insistance is my own towards those who believe...whether they take it up, is up to them. if they don't, no big deal this end...

People like Maher are strange. They promiscuously make attacks on religious people yet whinge at the first sign of racism or homophobia. Their philosophy is, "bigotry for me, but not for thee".

Race and sexual orientation aren't choices. People are what they are.

I was born a Catholic. I was raised Catholic. By the time I was 21, I realized Catholicism and really, all religions, are bullshit.

I made a choice.

Other people choose to continue to believe in nonsense. That is their right.

If they want to believe a man made of wafers who was his own father died for their sins 2000 years before they committed them, have at it. If they want to believe in Magic Underwear or Body Thetans or whatever silly nonsense you have out there, knock yourself out.

But people should have the right to point out how these are silly beliefs, and they don't become less silly because you give them a little gilding and a little ritual and call them a "religion".

What difference does it make? There are people who are of a different belief system than you, just like there are people of different races and orientations. They don't work the exact same way, but if we're going to make a virtue out of respecting otherwise good people for being different in some deep, fundamental way, then we need to do that with everyone. Just because one could hypothetical shed all of their religious beliefs tomorrow doesn't mean it's okay to malign and perpetuate prejudice and intolerance on them.

Sorry, if I ran into an adut who believed in Santa Claus at 25, I would consider that man a silly person. I would have even more contempt for him if we presented him with photos of the North Pole showing no workshop, and film of his parents buying the presents and putting them under the tree.

But if you take a silly belief that is disprovable like People were made out of mud (ignore that evidence of evolution) or that there were Hebrews in the AMericas (Ignore the lack of archelogical or anthropological evidence) or that we all have body Thetans clinging to us because Evil Space Lord Zenu dropped them into a volcano. Those are all silly beliefs. And because you call them a religion doesn't make them LESS silly.

I'm not demanding anything. My insistance is my own towards those who believe...whether they take it up, is up to them. if they don't, no big deal this end...

I noticed you cleverly used the word insisting.
insistingpresent participle of in·sist (Verb)
Verb:
Demand something forcefully, not accepting refusal.
Demand forcefully to have or do something: "she insisted on answers"; "boots he insisted on wearing".

But if you take a silly belief that is disprovable like People were made out of mud (ignore that evidence of evolution)...
Point of order: Evolution makes no attempt to explain the origin of life. It attempts only to explain the differentiation of species.

Fair enough. The theory of how life began is Abiogenesis, and there is no firm science on that.

But even if you accept that God was the one who stirred life in the Primordial Soup 4 billion years ago, that is not what the bible says. It says God made all life in its current form 6000 years ago over a six day period.

Which is a myth. I have no problem if you want to call it a metaphor, if that makes you feel better, but it isn't factually true.

We know that man acheived his current form through a process of natural selection and adaptive radiation.

Which is a myth. I have no problem if you want to call it a metaphor, if that makes you feel better, but it isn't factually true.

We know that man acheived his current form through a process of natural selection and adaptive radiation.

I do have a problem with them using it as a metaphor. It's a cop out on their part. Hundreds of years ago when science was a back water of theories and people were mocked, imprisoned and executed if they questioned the word of god(s), they easily believed that some ominpresent being could create a world in six days. That is what they believed. It is only in the 20th century when science has put paid to some of religions' more asinine/unbelievable parables/beliefs that they have decided that maybe the six day analogy was metaphorical. To which I say bullshit. Why say "oh, one day in God years is acutally a thousand in human years". Bull puckie. Why not say a thousand instead of six? After all the bible is written for humans? Why talk in god years? They changed the goal posts after they realised how ridiculous they sounded...

I do have a problem with them using it as a metaphor. It's a cop out on their part. Hundreds of years ago when science was a back water of theories and people were mocked, imprisoned and executed if they questioned the word of god(s), they easily believed that some ominpresent being could create a world in six days. That is what they believed. It is only in the 20th century when science has put paid to some of religions' more asinine/unbelievable parables/beliefs that they have decided that maybe the six day analogy was metaphorical. To which I say bullshit. Why say "oh, one day in God years is acutally a thousand in human years". Bull puckie. Why not say a thousand instead of six? After all the bible is written for humans? Why talk in god years? They changed the goal posts after they realised how ridiculous they sounded...

Well, I'm trying to be gracious because I like the person I was responding to.

I'm an atheist, but I think there is a lot of positive stuff in the bible. Leaving aside the whole Man-God myth nonsense about Jesus, his message is a positive one.

Forum List

Back