Black-eyed Peas and Collard Greens or Corned Beef And Cabbage For New Year's Day?

Black eyed peas and collard greens and a pork loin roast, and buttermilk cornbread....

Southern all the way for us Maine transplants!

We are trying to empty our freezer cuz we are heading down to Florida for three months again, to visit with family, and I found filet mignon medallions that I had bought on sale months, to almost a year ago, so I am thawing them for tonight's meal. Yum yum, a very rare treat!

The only tradition in my family and circle is that the center of the New Year's meal is some sort of pig meat. Ham or pork roast. We are having stuffed pork chops (plus mashed potatoes, green beans, & applesauce).

Coincidentally, we had lunch with some friends yesterday who immigrated here (Western PA) from Baton Rouge, and they described a New Year's meal exactly as described in the OP, and we all basically said, "Yuk."

It was a passed down family tradition to have black-eyed pea's as part of our New Years day meal.
But I couldn't get any of my kids to eat even half of a spoon full just to try them.
Now my grandkids aren't served them and the tradition is gone. .. :(

Last edited:

Forum List

Back