"Black" Names

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
The root cause of the problems blacks face is that they listen to old, black leaders and idiots like you.

What they name their kids isn't the issue. It is your culture that is the issue. Change your culture to one that values success, education, family, and hard work and the black community will do just fine.

I know what the root cause is and you don't white boy. Our culture is not the problem. Yours is. And your post shows us how and why I can say that. A descendant of motherfuckers who were too lazy to work free land they were given can't say shit to me about hard work. In the same way, a motherfucker who descended from people who split up families by selling them can't tell me a damn thing about family. In addition, a descendant of people who made it a crime punishable by death for blacks to get educated, can't tell me shit about valuing education. Finally, a motherfucker who descended from people that terrorized, looted, burned down property and killed successful black people can't tell me shit about valuing success. So shut the fuck up and understand that the root cause of the problem blacks face is white racism.

Change your culture boy.
Total PWNAG3!

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

So...who would hire someone named Imma Khunt as a spokesperson for a perfume company? How about Iwanna Fhuck as a preacher in a church?

How about you hired someone with a white name like Mike Hunt?

Urban blacks are not credited with much education
But they do come up with original names

The best that highly educated whites can come up with are John, James, Theresa, Mary

But that is a negative. It's a fact, that easier to say names, that are common to American culture, naturally get hired more than crazy names no one can say.

This is why you see many Asians come to the US, and change their name to something people can say.

I knew a girl whose Asian name was Weichun. Way-Choon. Her name here in the US, was "Jessica".

She had no problem landing a job and making friends in the US.

This is normal and natural.

People that come here, and try and blend in with society do better, than those who go out of their way to be counter-cultural.

And this is true of all people, not just blacks. White people that try and buck the social norms, tend to do poorly.

We have a white girl here at this company. She had long blonde hair, and came in working her butt off. She got promoted several times, lead tech, then Engineer in training and so on.

Then she cut all her hair off, got some piercings in her nose, dyed her hair black, and started dressing like a witch from a B-rated movie. The everyone who wanted her to join their team, stopped asking her to join. They even tried at one point, to put her back in the lab, but she refused to leave the engineering group.

She still doesn't seem to have any idea why her upward momentum stopped.

The same is true in call countries, and all cultures.

If I go live in japan, I'll have a harder time getting a job, if I go by the name Andrew. If I changed my name to Haruto in Japan, I would have a better chance of being hired.

Now if the black people of the US want to keep having crazy names like Trayvon, then they need to stop complaining they are not succeeding in life. This is why Asians do better economically than even white Americans, because they have as part of their mentality, to blend in with society.
Our country has evolved
We no longer require foreigners to abandon their names and adopt “American” names

The best that highly educated whites can come up with are John, James, Theresa, Mary

But that is a negative. It's a fact, that easier to say names, that are common to American culture, naturally get hired more than crazy names no one can say.

This is why you see many Asians come to the US, and change their name to something people can say.

I knew a girl whose Asian name was Weichun. Way-Choon. Her name here in the US, was "Jessica".

People that come here, and try and blend in with society do better, than those who go out of their way to be counter-cultural.

And this is true of all people, not just blacks. White people that try and buck the social norms, tend to do poorly.

We have a white girl here at this company. She had long blonde hair, and came in working her butt off. She got promoted several times, lead tech, then Engineer in training and so on.

Then she cut all her hair off, got some piercings in her nose, dyed her hair black, and started dressing like a witch from a B-rated movie. The everyone who wanted her to join their team, stopped asking her to join. They even tried at one point, to put her back in the lab, but she refused to leave the engineering group.

If I go live in japan, I'll have a harder time getting a job, if I go by the name Andrew. If I changed my name to Haruto in Japan, I would have a better chance of being hired.

Now if the black people of the US want to keep having crazy names like Trayvon, then they need to stop complaining they are not succeeding in life. This is why Asians do better economically than even white Americans, because they have as part of their mentality, to blend in with society.
Its everyone's job to blend in with white society, right?

I have written in this space previously that much of Black "inequality" can be reasonably attributed to voluntary behaviors by individual Blacks - mainly bastardy, school drop-out tendency, and petty criminality - and I have recently come upon another one, also a total mystery to me.

It is "common knowledge" in the Black community that having a "Black" name can often lead to, for example, employment applications being discarded, and other similar forms of discrimination. Indeed, I have read some first-person accounts of white people having Black-sounding names (e.g., "Jamal") and experiencing such discrimination "unfairly"(?).

And yet, the trend toward bizarre Christian names among Blacks seems to be increasing as time goes by.

Malik. LaShonda. Trayvon. LaToya. Names with mis-placed capital letters, and apostrophes. I pity the inner-city Kindergarten teacher who must address these children in school for the first time, trying to figure out how to pronounce some of these bizarre names, and to do so without laughing. I have occasionally thought that mothers invent them in the hope that one day the child will be a mega-super-star of one form or another who can be known simply by that first name. Shaquille. OJ. Michael. Et cetera. (Oops. Has anybody used that one?)

But seriously, is this not an utterly stupid thing to do? Why would you - even potentially - saddle your kid with a name that will label him/her as Black, sight unseen, for the rest of his or her life, knowing that it is likely that the name will result in negative discrimination in at least some circumstances? You might as well put a tattoo on your child's forehead saying, "My Mother is an Idiot."

Were I a Black parent, I would go to the other extreme, naming my kid with the most Wasp-ish name I could imagine ("Chatsworth Osborne Smith"), in the hope that it might open a door somewhere in the future. If you want to CALL your kid something more creative, knock yourself out. But to put "D'boneHead" on a Birth Certificate is almost criminally stupid.

Here we have another white person trying to tell blacks what to do. First off, the root cause of the problems we face are rooted in racist beliefs and behavior of whites. Blacks don't need to name our kids as whites tell us to. Whites like the OP need to stop being racists.
The root cause of the problems blacks face is that they listen to old, black leaders and idiots like you.

What they name their kids isn't the issue. It is your culture that is the issue. Change your culture to one that values success, education, family, and hard work and the black community will do just fine.

I know what the root cause is and you don't white boy. Our culture is not the problem. Yours is. And your post shows us how and why I can say that. A descendant of motherfuckers who were too lazy to work free land they were given can't say shit to me about hard work. In the same way, a motherfucker who descended from people who split up families by selling them can't tell me a damn thing about family. In addition, a descendant of people who made it a crime punishable by death for blacks to get educated, can't tell me shit about valuing education. Finally, a motherfucker who descended from people that terrorized, looted, burned down property and killed successful black people can't tell me shit about valuing success. So shut the fuck up and understand that the root cause of the problem blacks face is white racism.

Change your culture boy.
Yeah. My culture produces people who live comfortably, has little trouble with the law, promotes human values like compassion, caring for each other and intelligence. My culture produces wealthy people and blacks who adopt my culture are successful people.

Your culture brings us thug music, unwed mothers with children who are raised by the streets and grow up in gangs or without any real moral compass but 'how can I screw that nigga up?".

Go ask successful blacks how well your culture has worked for them.

Our country has evolved
We no longer require foreigners to abandon their names and adopt “American” names

We no longer require people to change their names. That is true. That's very interesting, and completely and utterly irrelevant to my point.

Re-read what I wrote. It is accurate and true.

Change your culture boy.
Total PWNAG3!

LOL. Wow, you're as dumb as he is.

Its everyone's job to blend in with white society, right?

Doesn't matter if it is your job or not.

That's not the point.

You can do whatever you want to do. Just understand there is going to some consequences for choices made. Just like the white girl that made choices that effected her future, so to do all people.

If you don't blend in, there are consequences to that.

Again, does not matter if "it's your job" to do so or not. You are free to make your own choices. Just like your boss is free to make his choice on who to promote, and who not to promote. And often, I would even say 100%, is based on the choices you make to blend in, or not to.

You have complete control on how you live your life.

The problem is, you seem to fail to realize that everyone else also has complete control on how they live their life.

If I don't want someone that has purple hair, working as a manager in my company, and you want to dye your hair purple.....

Well... that's your choice... and this is mine.... and that's going to be bad for you. Not my problem. I have just as much right to determine who I promote, as you do on what color you dye your hair.

That's life dude.

You need to stop whining about other people using the freedoms that you use. There are consequences to actions. An adult realizes this, and adjusts for it.

Our country has evolved

We no longer require people to change their names. That is true. That's very interesting, and completely and utterly irrelevant to my point.

We are more accepting of ethnic names in the workplace, politics, the media and entertainment.

If someone radically changes their appearance it is something under their control

So...who would hire someone named Imma Khunt as a spokesperson for a perfume company? How about Iwanna Fhuck as a preacher in a church?

Who knows? But LaQueisha is a definite no-go.
Why is that a no go and Mike Hunt isnt?
I thought we meant for a serious job.
Why would you hire Mike Hunt for a serious job?
He would be openly mocked

Who knows? But LaQueisha is a definite no-go.
Why is that a no go and Mike Hunt isnt?
I thought we meant for a serious job.
Why would you hire Mike Hunt for a serious job?
He would be openly mocked
By whom? LaQueisha?

If I go live in japan [sic], I'll have a harder time getting a job, if I go by the name Andrew. If I changed my name to Haruto in Japan, I would have a better chance of being hired.

But you changing your name to Haruto, or Wei Chun changing her name to Jessica, isn't honest about who either of you are. And in a sense it shuts others off from knowing that much about who you are.

A name that's "hard to pronounce" is so only because the person learning it doesn't have it in their experience. Such is the case with any new name one is hearing for the first time. I had a hard time remembering the name Didier when I lived in France, just because it has no English cognate. But that's the responsibility of the person learning the name, not that of the person who bears it. So I didn't ask, or expect, Didier to give me a substitute name I could handle --- I just learned the name.

If I go live in japan [sic], I'll have a harder time getting a job, if I go by the name Andrew. If I changed my name to Haruto in Japan, I would have a better chance of being hired.

But you changing your name to Haruto, or Wei Chun changing her name to Jessica, isn't honest about who either of you are. And in a sense it shuts others off from knowing that much about who you are.

A name that's "hard to pronounce" is so only because the person learning it doesn't have it in their experience. Such is the case with any new name one is hearing for the first time. I had a hard time remembering the name Didier when I lived in France, just because it has no English cognate. But that's the responsibility of the person learning the name, not that of the person who bears it. So I didn't ask, or expect, Didier to give me a substitute name I could handle --- I just learned the name.
Andy is exactly right. Adopting a common name is a indicator that you want to integrate. Being a native of a culture but using an exotic name indicates a wish for alienation from mainstream culture. I still don't get why French-sounding names are sp popular with blacks.

Andy is exactly right. Adopting a common name is a indicator that you want to integrate. Being a native of a culture but using an exotic name indicates a wish for alienation from mainstream culture. I still don't get why French-sounding names are sp popular with blacks.

"French-sounding names"?

You mean popular with blacks who live in Morocco? Or Haiti? Or New Orleans?

"French-sounding names"?

You mean popular with blacks who live in Morocco? Or Haiti? Or New Orleans?
La Queisha? She can be found in droves in any American shit hole.

Americans who move to other countries do not adopt their names
They hardly try to learn the language

Our country has evolved

We are more accepting of ethnic names in the workplace, politics, the media and entertainment.

If someone radically changes their appearance it is something under their control

Facts, and your opinion, are statistically not matching up.

I've read two different research papers, both suggesting that there is a statistical difference in hiring patterns, and promotional patterns, between those with more common American names, and those who don't have common American names.

Now that isn't to say that you can not overcome those biases. You absolutely can. But nevertheless, having a goofy un-american name, does in fact put you at a disadvantage to those who have American names, OR.. those who choose to have an American nick name that they go by. Again, Weichun, had no problem because she went by "Jessica" as her name.

You people need to stop living in your fantasy world, where because it is publicly acceptable, that there are no consequences. There are consequences, no matter how 'acceptable' it is in public.

Just because no one goes up to a guy covered head to foot in tattoos and beats them, doesn't mean that if a guy covered head to foot in tattoos can walk into a bank and expect to get job.

And no, of course they are not going to turn down someone because "We don't hire people with blue hair, and tattoos and piercings". Instead it's "We've decided to go a different direction to fill this position." or "You are just not what we're looking for", or any of the other methods for not hiring someone they don't want.

Regardless, the facts are clear. If you have a goofy name, or act in a counter-cultural fashion, you are less likely to get hired and promoted.

That's the reality, no matter what your opinion is on who we have "evolved" as a society. The only thing that has evolved is that people are far more clever about how they hide their preferences.

And by the way, that will never change. It's idiotic to think you'll ever reach a point where anything goes, and there is never a consequence to bucking the culture.

Forum List

Back