Boehner Caves....

Why would you call it a 'cave' Athena?

It's just a 'cease fire' nothing else.

it is neither.

He did the math.

He realized that the debt ceiling situation was going to be a disaster for the GOP while he ALSO saw the shutdown trending toward an Obama issue.

So what did he do?

Cleared himself of the debt ceiling issue while forcing Obama to do something about the shutdown.

I say he played his cards perfectly.

Tell me which president has refused to negotiate like Obama has? The House is in control by the Republicans. That means you can't get your way all the time and you do have to negotiate when you have situations like this.

You never seen this with former presidents

What has the GOP given up? Military cuts? increases on taxes on the rich? Bigger food stamp budgets?

They havn't compromised with anything! They've just lowered their outright demands, that's not compromising. All the do is look at democrats and say "how much can we demand of you for raising the debt limit"

You mean the GOP may not be able to indefinitely hold the country hostage until everyone agrees to re-vote on every social program that has passed over the past 50 years????

What a coward.

Stompyfeet is holding the country hostage. We're just refusing to continue to fund programs that have failed since their inception. You had your chance. Time to throw in the towel. Social programs = social deterioration and bankruptcy.

Time to take out the trash.

Straight form the source - you are trying to re-do every vote you lost over the previous 50 years. And holding everyone else hostage if they refuse to go along.

The effectiveness (or lack of it) of these programs is a good debate to have. But throwing a "shut-down" tantrum is a self-defeating way to try to do it. GOP is getting hammered over this.

From day 1 the GOP has attempted to force Obama to operate as if they won the election and that it was Obama's job to accomodate them.

They've been throwing their little tantrums ... sticking their fingers in their ears and holding their breath from day one.

Imagine how pissed off they are gonna be if they live long enough to see the history books praising Obama as America's first black president and the one who got Bin Laden when his predecessor could not.

I'm not saying it's right ... I'm just saying that's the way it's gonna play out.

And the GOP is destroying itself in the process.

They continue to make these plays ... talking all tough ... letting their mouths write checks that their butts can't cash ... and then doing an about-face. It's embarassing.

Correction: the Tea Party, with the Speaker's assist, is destroying what is left of the GOP brand.

Tell me which president has refused to negotiate like Obama has? The House is in control by the Republicans. That means you can't get your way all the time and you do have to negotiate when you have situations like this.

What has the GOP given up? Military cuts? increases on taxes on the rich? Bigger food stamp budgets?

They havn't compromised with anything! They've just lowered their outright demands, that's not compromising. All the do is look at democrats and say "how much can we demand of you for raising the debt limit"

lol...

First you say they didn't compromise anything....

And then you say they agreed to increase the debt limit.

Jeez...you have absolutely no idea what goes on in Washington....

Obama has already said he would negotiate but not around a shutdown or default threat. This is not how it works. If Boehner wants to bend to Teaparty demands, he can do so. It will hurt him and is hurting him. Obama is not going to offer up his power to anyone.

We have the WH and the Senate, why would Democrats give anything up to Boehner? He'd better go to this meeting ready to work.

The last time the cons held the government hostage, two years ago, Boehner bragged about getting 99% of what he wanted. That's not negotiating, it's extortion. Not going to happen this time. No more negotiating with terrorists.

He's trying to offer something to force obama to cave and negotiate. If obama does not negotiate, Boehner said he tried and democrats wanted to shut the government down.

lol...

You don't get to hold the debt limit as "compromising" it's something that has to be done. If you withhold the debt limit for demands then that's straight up extortion.

I think Harry Reid is going to demand that the cons sign on to a trillion dollar raise of the debt limit for the next fiscal year, with no concessions to the cons. Otherwise He won't bring any vote to the floor of the Senate, and Obama will have no choice but to mint the one trillion dollar coin to pay the bills.

Yes, it will hurt the U.S. credit rating, and cause havoc on Wall Street. But I think Reid is willing to see who gets blamed for it, in next years elections. And there's no doubt it's going to hurt the fat cats like the Koch bros the most.

:cuckoo:

No credible leader of any party would want a downgrade.

Go hang out in the conspiracy forums. You'll thrive there.
That downgrade happened already from the last time the cons held the government hostage. And the cons have already made it happen again with this shutdown. So Reid has nothing to lose.

Get real or get lost. Reed does not want a downgrade.

Obamacare itself shows this POTUS will compromise. It was a Heritage Foundation brainchild and a GOP favorite ... until a Democrat embraced it.

And now they want everything to come to a halt because they've changed their minds about it?

My 13-year-old is more mature than that.

From day 1 the GOP has attempted to force Obama to operate as if they won the election and that it was Obama's job to accomodate them.

They've been throwing their little tantrums ... sticking their fingers in their ears and holding their breath from day one.

Imagine how pissed off they are gonna be if they live long enough to see the history books praising Obama as America's first black president and the one who got Bin Laden when his predecessor could not.

I'm not saying it's right ... I'm just saying that's the way it's gonna play out.

And the GOP is destroying itself in the process.

They continue to make these plays ... talking all tough ... letting their mouths write checks that their butts can't cash ... and then doing an about-face. It's embarassing.

Correction: the Tea Party, with the Speaker's assist, is destroying what is left of the GOP brand.

I accept that correction completely

They should hold these so called negotiations in the open. People would be glued to their television screens and there would be no way anybody could spin the bullshit.

lol...

You don't get to hold the debt limit as "compromising" it's something that has to be done. If you withhold the debt limit for demands then that's straight up extortion.

Like I said....you have no idea what goes on in Washington.

Raising the debt limit is not like shutting down the government.

The debt limit is called "the debt limit" for a reason....because it was an agreed upon number by the house and the President to NOT EXCEED...

Well, if a President finds that his agenda forced it to go higher and the house believes it cant go higher, there must be a compromise.

Wisen up sparky....you are not as knowledgeable as you think you are.

Obama has only refused to negotiate over the government functioning. Obama has sais all along he is open to negotiation and compromise once the GOP moves away from the imbecillic Tea Party demands.

Nuance and context is everything.

Proof of concept: GOP has caved in. Obama has saved is all from Tea Party dystopian future

Why would you call it a 'cave' Athena?

It's just a 'cease fire' nothing else.

it is neither.

He did the math.

He realized that the debt ceiling situation was going to be a disaster for the GOP while he ALSO saw the shutdown trending toward an Obama issue.

So what did he do?

Cleared himself of the debt ceiling issue while forcing Obama to do something about the shutdown.

I say he played his cards perfectly.

Yeah - he trashed the GOP brand by making this power play and he got what?

shrewd

lol...

The debt limit is called "the debt limit" for a reason....because it was an agreed upon number by the house and the President to NOT EXCEED...

Well, if a President finds that his agenda forced it to go higher and the house believes it cant go higher, there must be a compromise.

The national debt has been rising since 1960. That's nonsense to think the president has to concede issues everytime he hits the debt limit. The president doesn't even set the budget, congress does!

You're making up crazy false claims because you know asking for a ransom in exchange for raising the debt limit is extortion in every sense of the word.

lol...

Hey Spanky, pull up your shit-stained pants and list the times a Congress refused a raise in the debt ceiling. :eusa_whistle:

You mean the GOP may not be able to indefinitely hold the country hostage until everyone agrees to re-vote on every social program that has passed over the past 50 years????

What a coward.

OK... your statement is a bombastic collection of STUPIDITY and PARTISAN HACKERY, DNC talking points and all.

If anyone is holding anything HOSTAGE, it's the SHUT DOWN KING HIMSELF and his MESSIAH, dingy harry and the kenyan. They are the two who have ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to even TALK to the other side, NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH... THEIR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY... THEIR WAY OR NOTHING... ALL - OR - NOTHING!

So don't give us this BULL SHIT about the GOP holding ANYONE "HOSTAGE," that is a fucking LOAD OF HORSE SHIT, and don't think anyone that's been paying attention to what's going on doesn't KNOW IT. The dems and barry are watching their approval numbers head for the TOILET, and they're starting to get SCARED.

The reason ANY of this is happening right now is because OBAMA IS CAVING, and has let the republicans know he's willing to talk, but even then this WILLINGNESS is only to buy a TINY BIT OF TIME. If he and dingy harry go right back ALL OR NOTHING, then the government will SHUT DOWN AGAIN... BECAUSE OF THEM... and their UNWILLINGNESS TO NEGOTIATE OR COMPROMISE.

The kenyan's own words - "nobody gets everything they want all the time."

Yeah, well ACT LIKE YOU MEANT THAT you fucking POS BUFFOON.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back