Boehner Caves....

he knows that if he lets the Extreme rw of his party tank the world econ, it won't bode well for him or, more importantly, this great nation.

Their paymasters (the Kochs) did come out & tell them to knock off the ACA bashing as it was bad PR for them once it was discovered they were bankrolling it.

If you have a link to where the Koch's said that I would appreciated seeing it.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- GOP aides say House Speaker John Boehner will ask House Republicans to approve a short-term extension of the government's ability to borrow to meet its bills.

The Ohio Republican is slated to urge his staunchly conservative GOP colleagues to act before the government runs out of borrowing authority next week.

Republicans have been insistent that budget cuts and other measures be added to the so-called debt ceiling legislation but the aides wouldn't say whether he'll seek to add other material to the measure.

The aides required anonymity to reveal the information before Boehner makes an announcement after a closed-door meeting with his GOP colleagues.

News from The Associated Press

Latest GOP Shutdown Antic: Appeal to Obama's Legacy

It's all over rightwing media in radio show arguments...

Too friggin' funny :laugh2: "Obama should make a deal, any deal to save his legacy"

GOP trying to save face and claim a win here. Desperation!

-----

All over the news today...Official: PPACA/Obamacare: It's Over!

The Fight, it's over. The Tea Party has lost another one.

:clap2: Sanity has intervened, the wingnutty media mouthpieces who have been pushing this imbecillity are being pushed aside: budget talks will NOT include the radical, reactionary, rightwing ridicousness know as the fight to defund/kill Obamacare.

:thewave:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama warned Republicans in Congress on Monday that he will not negotiate over an extension of the U.S. debt ceiling -- as part of a budget battle -- that will soon dominate Washington, with a deadline fast approaching.

And there you have it.
:cool:

I'm not sure how this is "caving" in. It shows Boehner is willing to meet Obama halfway. If Obama says "fuck you, still not negotiating" then Boehner says nevermind about the DL bill and we are back to square one.

This just shows you one side is willing to compromise and talk. It takes two to make a deal though.

One side has been "willing" to compromise, for weeks. Now we need for the "holdout" to start cooperating. Will he?

Compromise with what? What has the GOP given up? Military cuts? increases on taxes on the rich? Bigger food stamp budgets?

They havn't compromised with anything! They've just lowered their outright demands, that's not compromising.

Obama said "Open the gov't and raise the debt limit" AND then we will talk. In other words, lose all your bargaining chips and then we will talk about the problems.

Republicans said we'll raise the DL in exchange for talks and Obama will probably not budge.

How are the republicans not compromising here?

I think Harry Reid is going to demand that the cons sign on to a trillion dollar raise of the debt limit for the next fiscal year, with no concessions to the cons. Otherwise He won't bring any vote to the floor of the Senate, and Obama will have no choice but to mint the one trillion dollar coin to pay the bills.

Yes, it will hurt the U.S. credit rating, and cause havoc on Wall Street. But I think Reid is willing to see who gets blamed for it, in next years elections. And there's no doubt it's going to hurt the fat cats like the Koch bros the most.

I think Harry Reid is going to demand that the cons sign on to a trillion dollar raise of the debt limit for the next fiscal year, with no concessions to the cons. Otherwise He won't bring any vote to the floor of the Senate, and Obama will have no choice but to mint the one trillion dollar coin to pay the bills.

Yes, it will hurt the U.S. credit rating, and cause havoc on Wall Street. But I think Reid is willing to see who gets blamed for it, in next years elections. And there's no doubt it's going to hurt the fat cats like the Koch bros the most.

:cuckoo:

No credible leader of any party would want a downgrade.

Go hang out in the conspiracy forums. You'll thrive there.

Obama said "Open the gov't and raise the debt limit" AND then we will talk. In other words, lose all your bargaining chips and then we will talk about the problems.

Republicans said we'll raise the DL in exchange for talks and Obama will probably not budge.

How are the republicans not compromising here?

Caving in is not compromising. :lol:

The Fight, it's over. The Tea Party has lost another one.
(orange pekoe)

Last edited:

We're talking harry reid here. not a credible leader

And here we go...

Chad Pergram ‏@ChadPergram 1m
WH: While we are willing to look at any proposal Congress puts forward..we will not allow a faction..to hold the economy hostage..

WH: Congress needs to pass a clean debt limit increase and a funding bill to reopen the government.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- GOP aides say House Speaker John Boehner will ask House Republicans to approve a short-term extension of the government's ability to borrow to meet its bills.

The Ohio Republican is slated to urge his staunchly conservative GOP colleagues to act before the government runs out of borrowing authority next week.

Republicans have been insistent that budget cuts and other measures be added to the so-called debt ceiling legislation but the aides wouldn't say whether he'll seek to add other material to the measure.

The aides required anonymity to reveal the information before Boehner makes an announcement after a closed-door meeting with his GOP colleagues.

News from The Associated Press

BREAKING NEWS, 11:31: House Republican leaders say they will offer a bill authorizing a temporary increase in the debt ceiling, in exchange for discussions on reopening the government, funding the budget. The bill would avoid a looming, potentially disastrous federal government default. But it would not end the 10-day-old government shutdown, as the White House has demanded.

More:

House GOP pushes plan to raise debt ceiling; Jack Lew warns against default - The Washington Post

Ok this is weird. I had this thread up last night. This news was already out there and this has been a strategy of Boehner to drag Obama to the negotiating table.

Check it out:

House Republicans remain committed to forcing negotiations with President Obama and Senate Democrats over a range of long-term fiscal issues, including the debt-ceiling and budget deficit.

But they also are beginning to accept that for such talks to take place, they must first approve a short-term debt limit increase.

On Wednesday, Republicans sounded prepared to do precisely that.

In interviews with numerous GOP lawmakers, members spoke with confidence – and acceptance – of the fact that the House will soon approve a short-term deal to raise the debt-ceiling and force Democrats to the negotiating table.

Details are still being ironed out, House Republicans said, but they are on track to approve a debt-limit extension -- lasting between four and six weeks -- that would establish a framework for subsequent fiscal negotiations. Lawmakers said this short-term deal, which President Obama has promised would compel him to join comprehensive talks over long-term fiscal issues, could pass as soon as Friday.

"We aren't going to solve the long-term challenges in a week," said Rep. Tom Price of Georgia. "So if there's a solution to this ... it's a negotiated agreement to have a short-term debt-limit extension that gives the time to be able to solve the long-term challenges."

House Republicans Expect to Approve Short-Term Debt Deal - NationalJournal.com

WH : Once Republicans..remove the threat of default and end this harmful government shutdown, the President will be willing to negotiate..

What makes you think the President won't negotiate? He will. But you can bet he won't give nutters any economy killing spending cuts or unfair earned benefit reform without some revenues and a jobs bill.

And....Obamacare ain't going to be defunded nor delayed.

Life goes on.

From day 1 the GOP has attempted to force Obama to operate as if they won the election and that it was Obama's job to accomodate them.

They've been throwing their little tantrums ... sticking their fingers in their ears and holding their breath from day one.

Imagine how pissed off they are gonna be if they live long enough to see the history books praising Obama as America's first black president and the one who got Bin Laden when his predecessor could not.

I'm not saying it's right ... I'm just saying that's the way it's gonna play out.

And the GOP is destroying itself in the process.

They continue to make these plays ... talking all tough ... letting their mouths write checks that their butts can't cash ... and then doing an about-face. It's embarassing.

Last edited:
You mean the GOP may not be able to indefinitely hold the country hostage until everyone agrees to re-vote on every social program that has passed over the past 50 years????

What a coward.

Stompyfeet is holding the country hostage. We're just refusing to continue to fund programs that have failed since their inception. You had your chance. Time to throw in the towel. Social programs = social deterioration and bankruptcy.

Time to take out the trash.

We're talking harry reid here. not a credible leader

Boner and Reed and McConnnell and Pelosi are ALL elected by their peers: credible leaders

You too: Go hang out in the conspiracy forums. You too will thrive there.

Oh wait! You already do.

Never mind

Last edited:
Tell me which president has refused to negotiate like Obama has? The House is in control by the Republicans. That means you can't get your way all the time and you do have to negotiate when you have situations like this.

You never seen this with former presidents

Tell me which president has refused to negotiate like Obama has? The House is in control by the Republicans. That means you can't get your way all the time and you do have to negotiate when you have situations like this.

You never seen this with former presidents

What has the GOP given up? Military cuts? increases on taxes on the rich? Bigger food stamp budgets?

They havn't compromised with anything! They've just lowered their outright demands, that's not compromising. All the do is look at democrats and say "how much can we demand of you for raising the debt limit"

That downgrade happened already from the last time the cons held the government hostage. And the cons have already made it happen again with this shutdown. So Reid has nothing to lose.

Forum List

Back