Boeing 777 crash-lands at San Francisco Airport

A great read on this the stewderess on that flight was heros.
Asiana attendant describes dramatic evacuation
One flight attendant put a scared elementary schoolboy on her back and slid down a slide, said Lee, in the first comments by a crew member since the crash of the Boeing 777. A pilot helped another injured flight attendant off the plane after the passengers escaped. Lee herself worked to put out fires and usher passengers to safety despite a broken tailbone that kept her standing throughout a news briefing with mostly South Korean reporters at a San Francisco hotel

Witness video.

[ame=http://youtu.be/9Orw3rbj5MI]Raw Video Fred Hayes Video of Asiana Flight 214 Crash on CNN - YouTube[/ame]

It looks like the aircraft actually did a partial cartwheel during the crash. If thats the case its amazing anyone survived at all.

CNN needs to teach their animators how to recognize counter-clockwise motion as opposed to the clockwise motion they show in their most recent animation. The real time tape clearly shows the fuselage spinning counter-clockwise with the right wing lifting first into the air, followed by the rear of the fuselage. The nose appears to maintain contact with the ground. The fuselage spins completely around 360 degrees plus a little more to end up where it did.

CNN needs to teach their animators how to recognize counter-clockwise motion as opposed to the clockwise motion they show in their most recent animation. The real time tape clearly shows the fuselage spinning counter-clockwise with the right wing lifting first into the air, followed by the rear of the fuselage. The nose appears to maintain contact with the ground. The fuselage spins completely around 360 degrees plus a little more to end up where it did.

The pilot did not know how to land the plane. The End.

I heard that the pilot of the plane was as qualified to fly a 777 as putting someone in a position of power who has never worked a day in his life.

I thought you had to understand the yaw axis before you got your wings. But that's just me~!

I heard that the pilot of the plane was as qualified to fly a 777 as putting someone in a position of power who has never worked a day in his life.

At least the captain had hours of experience flying a 777 simulator vs. hours of community agitating and whatnot for our CiC.

So far what I've heard in various media reports it was the captain's first time landing a 777 although he had 40-something hours flying one, and that it was also the first officer's (copilot, right seat) first time he was also wearing his instructor's (if that's the correct term?) hat that required he keep an eye on, offer suggestions, advice, etc. to the inexperienced captain.

I thought some of that sounded a bit odd so I talked to a friend yesterday who's a Delta captain currently flying Boeing 767s and I was quite amazed at what I learned. I specifically asked him if a pilot's first landing attempt with a plane full of passengers seemed odd in any way. He was quick to say no, and added the first time he actually flew, including takeoff and landing, a 767 was with a full load of passengers from Dallas to, ironically, San Francisco. Prior to that it had been many hours in simulators 'learning' to fly the 767, emergency procedures, and everything else they're required to know about the plane, systems, etc. He even got his 767 certification based on simulator 'check rides' with instructors.

Then on his first flight he was paired with a first officer with tons of 767 flying experience and instructor qualified. Don't recall now if he said that was required of U.S. carriers or just standard operating procedure the industry has adopted, but a stark contrast to reports the 214's first officer had never acted as instructor before.

Found this interesting too. The new 767 captain was further required to fly his first 50 hours with a qualified instructor, sort of. To show the emphasis they put specifically on learning the nuances of takeoffs and landings in new aircraft, the 50-hour requirement was reduced by one hour for each time a new captain performed both the takeoff and landing during a flight leg. So friend's first flight was the start of a 3-day trip during which he did all the takeoffs and landing for a total of 12 flight legs, and thus reducing his 50-hour requirement to 38 hours, but also minus whatever hours of flying time those 12 legs added up to.

Just some things to keep in mind next time you decide to put yourself inside a sleek metal tube that'll hurtle you along at 500mph, 6 or 7 miles above terra firma.

Amen. I once read a statistic comparing airplane fatalities to fatalities people suffer in their own bathrooms every year. Though I can't recall the numbers now it wasn't even close. Stepping into the bathroom was far more potentially fatal than getting onto an airplane. But for some air travel is still a phobia and that's too bad IMO.

Amen. I once read a statistic comparing airplane fatalities to fatalities people suffer in their own bathrooms every year. Though I can't recall the numbers now it wasn't even close. Stepping into the bathroom was far more potentially fatal than getting onto an airplane. But for some air travel is still a phobia and that's too bad IMO.

When I was in nursing school eons ago, accident stats showed that many deaths occur within 10 miles of the person's home. And a far greater number occur in bed.

Last edited:
This is looking more and more like pilot error. Ouch.

I think company error can be considered as well. I heard on TV that Asiana pilots are not required to land one of those birds before it is full of passengers. They can do first landing in it with a loaded plane. I think he saw his error and was trying to pull up, but when he did the tail hit and knocked it off.

There was a spot on TV, CNN maybe, that talked of the social system in that country. The stewardess obeyed his order not to evacuate when she knew he was wrong giving it. That was in deference to him and his class difference. Apparently at one time they hired only people who were from countries where deference to age and class is not such a big deal. Looks like they have backslidden. No pun intended.

This is looking more and more like pilot error. Ouch.

I think company error can be considered as well. I heard on TV that Asiana pilots are not required to land one of those birds before it is full of passengers. They can do first landing in it with a loaded plane. I think he saw his error and was trying to pull up, but when he did the tail hit and knocked it off.

There was a spot on TV, CNN maybe, that talked of the social system in that country. The stewardess obeyed his order not to evacuate when she knew he was wrong giving it. That was in deference to him and his class difference. Apparently at one time they hired only people who were from countries where deference to age and class is not such a big deal. Looks like they have backslidden. No pun intended.

Same goes for U.S. pilots.

I would have to think the tanks had to be close to being depleted after 10 hours of flight time. I would think that would have kept the fire from being as severe.

These newer Boeing planes now have CO2 or nitrogen filled fuel tanks to prevent empty tank explosions like the one that destroyed TWA-800 & many others. It likely helped a lot in this situation.

This is just absurd, wrong & sad. - 911 calls released today show passengers still calling 911 over 20 to 30 minutes after the crash. These callers are complaining that only a couple of ambulances showed up for hundreds of injured people. 30 minutes later passengers are calling in frantically trying to keep people alive laying out on the runway & still have not seen a first responder.

SF plane crash 911 tapes reveal chaos

"Passenger Cindy Stone said fire trucks were on the scene, but that no one was available to treat the injured passengers. "Lots of fire engines in the distance," Stone said from her cell phone. "Not one ambulance on the tarmac."

San Francisco Fire Department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said her agency's command center first logged a call from airport field crews reporting the injured group of victims in the area of the tail 14 minutes after the crash. It's unclear, however, how long it took for that information to reach rescuers and for rescuers to reach the victims.

"About 14 minutes into it, (rescuers) were probably made aware that there were people in that area," she said. "But actually that's pretty early on in the incident. They've obviously got 300 other people.""

Apparently a news station in San Diego confirmed the pilots names:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JYHNX8pdo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1JYHNX8pdo[/ame]

Followed by:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L84TJ80l6Qg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L84TJ80l6Qg[/ame]

We look like a third world shit-hole. Took over a half hour for ambulance to arrive, our fire trucks ran over passengers, our crash investigators make jokes & we played them on the air. The people in China & Korea have to be shaking their heads thinking they will not fly to that screwed up country.

Forum List

Back