Boy nearly suspended for 2in LEGO gun in school

Normally, I don't see political correctness when it's applied on these boards, but in this case I can come up with only two possibilities where this makes any sense in my brain.

1. This principal not only lacks common sense, but it totally stupid. No where could she find a definition of 'weapon' that would conceivably include this toy.

2. She's operating on a premise that the concept of weapons is bad, which would be indoctrination and that is political correctness no matter which side is trying to do the indoctrinating.

But if she's smart enought to finish high school, college, and graduate school, it would seem that she'd know this was a doomed tactic. So, here I am, caught in a dilemna.

Can't we just write this off as the woman is a moron, and leave it at that?

There's no point in looking deeper into this.

Except she is not the only one. We have had example after example of ignorance with ZERO tolerance policies over the years. It breeds ignorance and stupidity.
That doesn't mean we can't still write her off as just your common moron, rather than trying to figure this story out.

Some people are just retarded, and sometimes that's just the only explanation that fits.

Since when is calling a parent with a heads up that toy guns are not allowed "nearly suspended" A phone call is always appropriate IMHO. Toy guns aren't allowed - no matter what color they are. I'm sure this parent was the one who called the paper. Big whoop.

Since when is calling a parent with a heads up that toy guns are not allowed "nearly suspended" A phone call is always appropriate IMHO. Toy guns aren't allowed - no matter what color they are. I'm sure this parent was the one who called the paper. Big whoop.

This was not a toy gun. It was a two inch Lego prop for God's sake. :rolleyes:

It's no wonder we have so many stupid kids leaving the public school system when you see who is teaching them.

Pretend this story doesn't exist...

Being a teacher yourself, what would you do if you saw a kid with a 2 inch lego gun?

Keep in mind how big 2 inches actually is, and that because it's a LEGO gun, it doesn't even remotely look real...

What would you honestly do?

I probably would do nothing. But I am not a principal. If the rule says "no toy guns" then you have to let people know. I wouldn't freak out over a water pistol either, but rules must be enforced consistently. The next parent would scream over a cap gun. I did have a kid bring in a lighter that looked like a real gun. I reported it and he was suspended for ten days. I also reported a girl who said she was gonna slice somebody. Turns out she had a potato peeler in her purse. She was put out for 45. Dr Gregg is right about the lawsuits. You can't play preferences anymore- even for a boy scout with a Swiss army knife.

I probably would do nothing. But I am not a principal. If the rule says "no toy guns" then you have to let people know. I wouldn't freak out over a water pistol either, but rules must be enforced consistently. The next parent would scream over a cap gun. I did have a kid bring in a lighter that looked like a real gun. I reported it and he was suspended for ten days. I also reported a girl who said she was gonna slice somebody. Turns out she had a potato peeler in her purse. She was put out for 45. Dr Gregg is right about the lawsuits. You can't play preferences anymore- even for a boy scout with a Swiss army knife.

Thanks Chanel

Zero tolerance policies lead to zero common sense. We pay our school administrators to make the tough decisions pertaining to our children. If one of our highly paid administrators (and in NJ they are highly paid) is unable to differentiate between the potential threat from a switchblade and the potential threat from a LEGO what do we need them for?

A lighter, and a potato peeler (along with a clear and present threat of violence with it), are way different than a lego gun, though.

Even a swiss army knife, too. That is actually something that can be used as a real weapon.

This isn't about conditioning kids to be against firearms like some have said here. This is just a trigger happy principal with no fucking intelligence and common sense.

Being a teacher yourself, what would you do if you saw a kid with a 2 inch lego gun?

Keep in mind how big 2 inches actually is, and that because it's a LEGO gun, it doesn't even remotely look real...

Well, you asked her and not me, but I'll still answer!

I'd take it away, tell him we can't have toys in school, and that would be the end of it.

Case Closed.

And that's essentially what this principal did. I don't believe in zero tolerance either. But if its policy it must be enforced.

And while this may be a "stupid mistake", I'd challenge any person on this board who doesn't make stupid mistakes at their jobs. Its only an issue if there is harm. I don't see how anyone was harmed. "Nearly suspended" sounds like a made up phrase by a parent who was irritated by a phone call. Big whoop.

And that's essentially what this principal did. I don't believe in zero tolerance either. But if its policy it must be enforced.

Except there was no weapon present so the policy doesn't apply. That's the point. This was a piece of plastic molded into the shape of a gun that wasn't even as long as your index finger. As Rightwinger pointed out, school administrators are highly paid people, especially up north, and they are expected to exhibit a reasonable level of common sense and intelligence.

Everyone is afraid of a lawsuit. That's the whole point of "zero tolerance".
I am not sure if this story is suppose to show the stupidity of the kid, the school system, or the media trolls that put up stuff like this.
Maybe all of the above.

I'd take it away, tell him we can't have toys in school, and that would be the end of it.

Case Closed.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Kids can't bring toys in to school?

Case Closed.

i suppose if the kid would have made a tinker toy gun . i suppose all the crazy teachers would be on that one too.sure glad i dont have kids in school any more!!!. schools and the law concerning them have gone crazy...

Case Closed.

Not in our school!

Case Closed.

Not in our school!

That sucks. My daughter can bring a toy in every friday for show and tell. And she also brings some kind of toy, whether it's a stuffed animal or a doll or whatever, like everyday.

I love our school system, but I think if they got that tight assed that kids couldn't bring a toy in to share with their friends, I'd consider moving her to another school. I just don't see any reason for such a rule.

Not in our school!

That sucks. My daughter can bring a toy in every friday for show and tell. And she also brings some kind of toy, whether it's a stuffed animal or a doll or whatever, like everyday.

I love our school system, but I think if they got that tight assed that kids couldn't bring a toy in to share with their friends, I'd consider moving her to another school. I just don't see any reason for such a rule.

Well, you know those mean old public schools. They think school should be for learning, not playing! :evil:

I think our Kindergarten kids can bring a toy for show and tell on Fridays.....not sure, but I'll check when I go back to school, because they should at least be able to for that.

Not in our school!

Well, you know those mean old public schools. They think school should be for learning, not playing! :evil:

I think our Kindergarten kids can bring a toy for show and tell on Fridays.....not sure, but I'll check when I go back to school, because they should at least be able to for that.

This is a public school I'm talking about, EZ.

If the toy ends up distracting from the learning experience, then the teacher can and should simply have the student put it away. But I don't see why a student can't otherwise bring a toy in to show their friends.

When I came up through school, we brought anything and everything to school. All the fads, like those stupid slap bracelets, and even the laser pointers. The laser pointers eventually got banned for obvious reasons, but you get what I'm saying.

There's a huge difference between sharing a personal item with friends, and having that item distract from the overall learning experience. As with anything, there's a time and a place for things.

If the toy ends up distracting from the learning experience, then the teacher can and should simply have the student put it away. But I don't see why a student can't otherwise bring a toy in to show their friends.

When I came up through school, we brought anything and everything to school. All the fads, like those stupid slap bracelets, and even the laser pointers. The laser pointers eventually got banned for obvious reasons, but you get what I'm saying.

There's a huge difference between sharing a personal item with friends, and having that item distract from the overall learning experience. As with anything, there's a time and a place for things.

Well, like I said in my PM to you, 750 kids=750 toys.....

Now a Pre-school would be a different story, my daughter always took her blankie and a stuffed kitty and maybe a ball to school everyday. Of course I was paying $500 a month for that! :lol:

Now a Pre-school would be a different story, my daughter always took her blankie and a stuffed kitty and maybe a ball to school everyday. Of course I was paying $500 a month for that! :lol:

I understand what you're saying. But like I said, a time and a place. That couple minute interval between classes, lunch period, study hall, homeroom, at the end of class before the bell when the lesson is over and there's 'free time', when riding on the bus, etc. Obviously not in the middle of a lecture, but there is plenty of time during a school day when kids can share that kind of stuff.

If 750 kids bring 750 toys, why does it matter so long as they are brought out only at appropriate times, and not too big that the student can't put it away in a backpack or a locker without distracting class?

I understand what you're saying. But like I said, a time and a place. That couple minute interval between classes, lunch period, study hall, homeroom, at the end of class before the bell when the lesson is over and there's 'free time', when riding on the bus, etc. Obviously not in the middle of a lecture, but there is plenty of time during a school day when kids can share that kind of stuff.

If 750 kids bring 750 toys, why does it matter so long as they are brought out only at appropriate times, and not too big that the student can't put it away in a backpack or a locker without distracting class?

In a perfect world, where all kids follow the rules and try not to bend them or break them, that would be fine with me. Trust me. My students will have toys in their backpacks, I don't say anything to them or take them away, but I have to follow our school rules about not letting them get them out and play with them. I am their "boss" while in school, and my principal is my "boss"-and I have to follow her rules.

*PS-I have a lot of mini-echo's stuffed animals in my classroom, and the kids like to get them and read them stories and such, we also have puzzles and bingo and such, so it's not the torture chamber you think it is! When students come in my classroom they always go, "Wow, this room is cool!" since it's 'kid friendly.'

Forum List

Back