Boy Scouts of America says discussing end to ban on gay members

Does the leadership of the Boy Scouts not realize the possible consequences this will result in?

-Boycotts (especially from the Religious Rights and Parenting organizations)
-Sharp drop in membership rates

Does the leadership of the Boy Scouts not realize the possible consequences this will result in?

-Boycotts (especially from the Religious Rights and Parenting organizations)
-Sharp drop in membership rates

I don't know for sure, but I believe they are caving due to corporate sponsors caving to special interst groups. When your benefactors start worrying about political correctness and bad press, they quit supporting you. Also, the press stays after Boy Scouts just like the special interest groups and that translates to reduced membership. I think they are caving over finances and membership. That being said, most of their charter organizations are churches and they are taking on a 50/50 gamble that this won't also result in boycotts and reduced membership. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. At the risk of being labeled a homophobe......which I'm not, few if any of my friends who are gay have a real interest in what the Boy Scout program consists of. It isn't that they really care about participating, it is the fact that they are excluded that gets their panties in a twist. If Girl Scouts and Scouts Canada are any indicator, being inclusive hurt more than it helped. Time will tell how this works out.

Pedophiles who target boys are often married heterosexuals.

Got any statistics to back that up or is it just your opinion?

As to the OP, these policies should be handled at the Troop or Pack level.

It's a contradiction in terms. A male pedophile who targets boys is gay, whether he is married or not, he's not a heterosexual. At best he might be bisexual.

More ignorant shit is vomited from your stupid fat mouth.

Pedophiles who target boys are often married. Period.

It's a contradiction in terms. A male pedophile who targets boys is gay, whether he is married or not, he's not a heterosexual. At best he might be bisexual.

More ignorant shit is vomited from your stupid fat mouth.

How do you know this?

More ignorant shit is vomited froem your stupid fat mouth.

How do you know this?

He thinks that just because a man is married he has to be heterosexual. That's not true but it's what he believes.

Pedophiles who target boys are often married heterosexuals.

Ask any psychologist and they will tell you, child molestation has nothing to do with sex. It has to do with power.

I know this is an old thread, but I had to interject.

I went looking for a thread on the subject because I just heard our council chairman is going to Texas for a vote on the subject in early May.

I suspect no matter what happens it will mean losses for the scouts. If they don't change their policy there are a lot of companies who are threatening to pull funding. If they do, many churches are threatening to pull their support.

Personally I think it's the right thing to do. But it's a shame that it may very well decimate the scouting program no matter what happens.

The Scouts may have just gotten too big to survive as it is. They can have gay scouts and boy scouts. They already have all black boy scout troops and all latino boy scout troops. They can have all gay scout troops.

Allowing local organizations to decide their own policies might be a good idea if the more liberal factions really allow it without pressure from the sissie lobby. It would be interesting to follow up on the incidences of pedophile behavior in more liberal areas.

Allowing local organizations to decide their own policies might be a good idea if the more liberal factions really allow it without pressure from the sissie lobby. It would be interesting to follow up on the incidences of pedophile behavior in more liberal areas.

Pedophiles are not going to declare themselves regardless of the scouts policy on gays

The whole thing is dumb. We have woman who are leaders. Simply make gay leaders follow the same protocols. No big deal.

I am convinced that a pedophile would really struggle to get away with much in the modern scouts. Every boy is educated on the subject, as is every leader and parent. It's possible, as it is in any organization. But the likelihood has been reduced as much as is humanely possible.

Last edited:

Ask any psychologist and they will tell you, child molestation has nothing to do with sex. It has to do with power.

I know this is an old thread, but I had to interject.

I went looking for a thread on the subject because I just heard our council chairman is going to Texas for a vote on the subject in early May.

I suspect no matter what happens it will mean losses for the scouts. If they don't change their policy there are a lot of companies who are threatening to pull funding. If they do, many churches are threatening to pull their support.

Personally I think it's the right thing to do. But it's a shame that it may very well decimate the scouting program no matter what happens.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqym3z1ZfnQ]Radioactive man - Scout master - YouTube[/ame]

We all, gay or straight live in society.
If the sprouts want to be a part of society they should accept all parts of society.
Provided none of societies rules are broken by doing so.

The scouts are built on principles of tolerance of those who may be different. The degree they go to declare gays to be "immoral" is an affront to the scout law

If the sprouts want to be a part of society they should accept all parts of society.

The scouts are built on principles of tolerance of those who may be different. The degree they go to declare gays to be "immoral" is an affront to the scout law

Yes, we promote tolerance in many areas thru the oath and law. But there are areas where a scout is expected to do his duty to God and to keep himself morally straight. Scouts is non-sectarian in their approach to religious beliefs, but do expect scouts to believe in a power greater than themself and leave those teachings to the family and "church". Since most major religions teach that homosexuality is a sin, than it follows that a person doing their duty to their God and keeping themself morally straight will oppose allowing gays in membership........regardless of what is politically correct in today's society. A scout is brave.

Homosexuality Comparison Chart - ReligionFacts

Yes, we promote tolerance in many areas thru the oath and law. But there are areas where a scout is expected to do his duty to God and to keep himself morally straight. Scouts is non-sectarian in their approach to religious beliefs, but do expect scouts to believe in a power greater than themself and leave those teachings to the family and "church". Since most major religions teach that homosexuality is a sin, than it follows that a person doing their duty to their God and keeping themself morally straight will oppose allowing gays in membership........regardless of what is politically correct in today's society. A scout is brave.

The scouts do not believe in a church, they believe in a faith in God. Gays are capable of having a faith in God even if your own church may condemn them

How do the scouts reconcile that they officially consider gays to be immoral while the United States military does not?

Time to enter the 21st century BSA

A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.
A Scout is Courteous.
A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.
A Scout is Kind.
A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.

Last edited:

The scouts do not believe in a church, they believe in a faith in God. Gays are capable of having a faith in God even if your own church may condemn them

Yeah, that's what I said.

How do the scouts reconcile that they officially consider gays to be immoral while the United States military does not?

Scouts is a private organization that the SCOTUS has ruled has freedom of association and can determine there membership as they choose. What the US military does or doesn't do has no bearing on BSA.

A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.
A Scout is Courteous.
A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows that using good manners makes it easier for people to get along.
A Scout is Kind.
A Scout knows there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. Without good reason, he does not harm or kill any living thing.

You CAN be tolerant of other people's choices while still not condoning their actions. That's the way real life works.

Personally, I'm for the local option choice. That being said, either decision is going to have deterimental effects on the organization. The politically correct crowd don't give two hoots and a hollar about actually being in the BSA, they simply want to champion the cause.

Scouts is a private organization that the SCOTUS has ruled has freedom of association and can determine there membership as they choose. What the US military does or doesn't do has no bearing on BSA.

A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is Courteous.
A Scout is Kind.

You CAN be tolerant of other people's choices while still not condoning their actions. That's the way real life works.

Personally, I'm for the local option choice. That being said, either decision is going to have deterimental effects on the organization. The politically correct crowd don't give two hoots and a hollar about actually being in the BSA, they simply want to champion the cause.

The scouts are a private organization and are free to do as they please and make their own rules....no question there

But the scouts have built their reputation as an organization that builds character. There is no current prohibition in scout law or motto against admitting gays. Only a singular interpretation of what "moral" is. Their own scout law which they drum into the boys every meeting should direct a tollerance and open acceptance of gays

A Scout is Friendly.

How do scouts justify kicking out a boy once he realizes he is gay?

Last edited:

A Scout is Friendly.
A Scout is Courteous.
A Scout is Kind.

The scouts are a private organization and are free to do as they please and make their own rules....no question there

But the scouts have built their reputation as an organization that builds character. There is no current prohibition in scout law or motto against admitting gays. Only a singular interpretation of what "moral" is. Their own scout law which they drum into the boys every meeting should direct a tollerance and open acceptance of gays

A Scout is Friendly.

How do scouts justify kicking out a boy once he realizes he is gay?

Most people don't realize that the BSA basically practiced Don't ask, don't tell. It isn't an issue until they are an "avowed" homosexual. In other words, "hey guys, look at me, I'm GHEY!" In fact, it is more pointed at adults than youth as youth rarely make public their sexual orientation until usually after scouting age. Believe it or not, there already is a lot of tolerance. While the BSA is the national "owner" of the scouting program, scouting is local. Unless someone brings attention to themselves and purposely makes an issue of it, nobody really cares. Believe ti or not, their aren't any gay hunter stormtroopers in regions, councils, districts or troops.

Boy Scouts of America is discussing ending a longstanding ban on gay members and allowing local organizations to decide their own policy, a spokesman said on Monday.

Lifting the ban would mark a dramatic reversal for the 103-year-old organization, which only last summer reaffirmed its policy amid heavy criticism from gay rights groups and some parents of scouts.

"The BSA is discussing potentially removing the national membership restriction regarding sexual orientation," spokesman Deron Smith said in an email to Reuters.

"The policy change under discussion would allow the religious, civic or educational organizations that oversee and deliver Scouting to determine how to address this issue," the spokesman said.

The organization, which had more than 2.6 million youth members and more than 1 million adult members at the end of 2012, "would not, under any circumstances, dictate a position to units, members, or parents," Smith said.

Boy Scouts of America says discussing end to ban on gay members | Reuters

Progress:cool:

Its about time.

It's simple, liberals want the Scouts to be as amoral as the liberals are. That the scouts even have morals is an affront to liberal orthodoxy.

Forum List

Back