Boycott Israel

The purpose of the propaganda branch of the war against Israel is to (1) make Israel’s destruction seem virtuous vs. horrifying; ...

Yes. This.

So many useful idiots have bought into this notion -- that the destruction of a sovereign State is not only permissible but the morally superior act.

This is intimately tied to irrational beliefs about Jews, I think. It speaks to a double standard held only for Jews. While people might speak about dismantling a sovereign State's government as a morally correct action against a harmful government, I can't think of a single instance of suggesting that self-determination be removed from an entire people -- except Israel. Surely, no one is suggesting, for example, that the Persian people of Iran must not be permitted under any circumstances to have a sovereign nation and self-determination, are they?
Iran is not occupying anybody. Apples and Oranges.

The purpose of the propaganda branch of the war against Israel is to (1) make Israel’s destruction seem virtuous vs. horrifying; ...

Yes. This.

So many useful idiots have bought into this notion -- that the destruction of a sovereign State is not only permissible but the morally superior act.

This is intimately tied to irrational beliefs about Jews, I think. It speaks to a double standard held only for Jews. While people might speak about dismantling a sovereign State's government as a morally correct action against a harmful government, I can't think of a single instance of suggesting that self-determination be removed from an entire people -- except Israel. Surely, no one is suggesting, for example, that the Persian people of Iran must not be permitted under any circumstances to have a sovereign nation and self-determination, are they?

Occupation is irrelevant to my point. Shall we say the Turkish people have no right to self-determination and sovereignty? The Chinese? The Russians? The Spanish? The Moroccans? Indonesians?

No other people are subjected to this idea that not only must the government change, but that the State must be eradicated and its people must be prevented from having sovereign self-determination.

Yes. This.

Occupation is irrelevant to my point. Shall we say the Turkish people have no right to self-determination and sovereignty? The Chinese? The Russians? The Spanish? The Moroccans? Indonesians?

No other people are subjected to this idea that not only must the government change, but that the State must be eradicated and its people must be prevented from having sovereign self-determination.
The occupation is the defining factor.

Yes. This.

Can't occupy something that doesn't exist.

Yes. This.

You need to first understand and then attempt to define the terms you stumble over. Whose sovereign land is israel occupying?

Yes. This.

Iran occupies Kurdistan.

Yes. This.

The Jewish nation was given sovereignty over the whole of the land.

Arabs have got sovereignty over most of the middle east at the expense of various indigenous nations, didn't manage to swallow that one whole too, just not this one.

Yes. This.

You need to first understand and then attempt to define the terms you stumble over. Whose sovereign land is israel occupying?
That's an easy one.

Recognizing​
that the Palestinian people is entitled to self-determination in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations,

Expressing its grave concern that the Palestinian people has been prevented from enjoying its inalienable rights, in particular its right to self-determination,

Guided by the purposes and principles of the Charter,

Recalling its relevant resolutions which affirm the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination,

1. Reaffirms the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people in Palestine, including:

(a) The right to self-determination without external interference;

(b) The right to national independence and sovereignty;

2. Reaffirms also the inalienable right of the Palestinians to return to their homes and property from which they have been displaced and uprooted, and calls for their return;

UN General Assembly Resolution 3236 and UN General Assembly Resolution 3237

Yes. This.

That's an easy one.

Recognizing

that the Palestinian people is entitled to self-determination in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations,

Expressing its grave concern that the Palestinian people has been prevented from enjoying its inalienable rights, in particular its right to self-determination,

Recalling its relevant resolutions which affirm the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination,

1. Reaffirms the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people in Palestine, including:

2. Reaffirms also the inalienable right of the Palestinians to return to their homes and property from which they have been displaced and uprooted, and calls for their return;

Nice duck.

How does that address my post?

Apparently, the criticism got HRW's attention.

By 2011, there was a lot more balance in terms of the distribution of the reports they were putting out:

But that did not stop HRW op-eds on the Arab-Israeli from focusing on the allegations made against Israel.

Currently, 2015 is the latest year for which NGO Monitor has information.

The number of reports on Israel, in comparison with other countries in the Middle East, appears to be on the rise again.

During all those years, Human Rights Watch has continued to focus criticism of Israel -- in much the same way as the UN Human Rights Council.

(full article online)

Human Rights Watch and the UN Human Rights Council: Natural Allies Against Israel (Daled Amos) ~ Elder Of Ziyon - Israel News

Yes. This.

That's an easy one.

Recognizing

They agree, Israel isn't occupying anyone's territory.

So you would agree then, that the Chinese people have no right to sovereign self-determination.

Bump for P F Tinmore . You didn't address this. If occupation is the defining factor for whether or not peoples have rights to sovereignty then there are a large number of peoples who, due to holding occupations, would be ineligible for self-determination and sovereignty, including the Turks, the Chinese, Indonesians, Moroccans, Spanish and a whole host of others.

Since I am certain you will say that the Chinese people DO have a right to sovereignty and self-determination, your claim that occupation is the defining factor is patently false. You are applying standards to Israel that you do not apply to China.

This was my original post on this mini-topic:

So, again I ask you -- Can the right to self-determination be removed from a people, or can they be rendered ineligible for that right? If yes, under what circumstances?

So you would agree then, that the Chinese people have no right to sovereign self-determination.

Bump for P F Tinmore . You didn't address this. If occupation is the defining factor for whether or not peoples have rights to sovereignty then there are a large number of peoples who, due to holding occupations, would be ineligible for self-determination and sovereignty, including the Turks, the Chinese, Indonesians, Moroccans, Spanish and a whole host of others.

Since I am certain you will say that the Chinese people DO have a right to sovereignty and self-determination, your claim that occupation is the defining factor is patently false. You are applying standards to Israel that you do not apply to China.

So, again I ask you -- Can the right to self-determination be removed from a people, or can they be rendered ineligible for that right? If yes, under what circumstances?
You don't make any sense.

You don't make any sense.

Sigh. Let me break it down again.

Do the Chinese people have the right to sovereignty and self-determination even though their State is occupying another peoples? If yes, then occupation is not the determining factor.

Yes, you read that correctly – Oborne is charging Israeli settlers with poisoning Palestinian wells, which he claims to have personally witnessed.

Jews poisoning the wells is a classic antisemitic canard that dates back to Medieval European times when Jews were accused of being responsible for spreading disease such as the Black Death. This in turn led to massacres of Jewish communities.

As for the accusation that Israeli settlers of taking the best agricultural land and depriving Palestinians of water, this is a falsehood. (Israeli tech turns barren land into thriving agricultural areas while Israel actually supplies Palestinians with water and prevents them from wrecking their own and Israel’s supplies.)

(full article online)

Bigoted Columnist: Jews 'Poisoning the Wells' | HonestReporting

Forum List

Back