Boycott Staples

I think bulk mail rates should be eliminated. Let them pay the full rate per ounce just like everyone else.
BTW, so called junk mail which is comprised of ads for stuff most people have no intention of buying is the origin of the phrase "circular file"...
So unless junk mail advertisers are selling their wares to trash cans, they are wasting their money.
your wrong....i have read quit a few articles saying direct mail is the most effective way to advertise,its a multi-billion dollar industry for a reason........and the biggest complaint i ever had on my route was when the Tuesday food ads were either late or someone did not get one...Advo pays the PO in excess of a Billion a year to deliver those things....Penny Saver about the same....you people may not think anyone wants those things....guess again....

Apartment buildings provide a trash can right next to the mail boxes so sale circulars and direct mail advertising can be disposed of immediately. Direct mail is the worst method of advertising, it is done by companies simply as a tax write off.

Yep....I lived in a condo complex and we had that huge bank of mail boxes. Right there was a trash can for all the junk mail slick ads.

My day:

wake-up; go to Staples and buy some stuff.

go to Whole Foods grocery stores and buy some stuff

Watch some Fox News

go to Chick Fila and buy lunch

let's see what else did the loony Left want to boycott?

Whole foods....fucking great store....

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr6407

Under the above, the Post Office was required to pay 75 years in advance all health benefits and retirement. By 2016.

Manufactured crisis.

On top of this was the 40 year old accounting error. The federal Office of Personnel Management has overcharged the post office by as much as $80 billion for payments into the Civil Service Retirement System.

The rise of the Donahoe

Postmaster General: Postal Service 'On Brink of 5.5 Billion Payment Default' - The Five Towns - Far Rockaway - Jewish Community News Service - 5 Times More Value - TheFiveTowns.Info

Issa calls it a scandal and is totally shocked and demands cuts.
Postal Service prodded -- once again -- to do more with less - Oversight - GovExec.com

All of these scandals are nothing more than bread and circuses. Almost forgot, I don't think the PO has used tax dollars since the 1970s.

:blahblah: That argument ran out of steam long ago.
The fadct is the USPS employs too many people who are using archaic methods of getting the work done.
Hand sorting mail for carrier routes? Come on....All mail should be bar coded and sorted by machines.
The USPS is a bloated federal bureaucracy.

were the hell have you been hiding Spoon?....hand sorting?....they have been using bar codes and machines for about 35 years now for letters....and the new ones they are using now for flats are the most Sophisticated on the planet....they put the Magazines like the letters in route order.....when these new ones went on line...we had a group from Japan Post come in to look at it....im sure they ordered one....the Machine is huge and 70-80 yards long....its the reason they dont need many clerks anymore...

What bar code? Every letter I send has no such code on it ( it has a zip code and a stamp) and letters that I receive from friends and family also have no bar code.

I already did. The movement of middle class jobs that the Post office provides to the 8 and change jobs at Staples does what? I've already been through this.
No...You stated that privatization destroys the middle class.
That is a general statement. One that implies that only public sector work is acceptable.
Your argument is based on a false premise.
The USPS has stated it will not lat off any current USPS workers in lieu of the Staples deal..
Using Staples stores is ADDING to the capacity of the USPS...
Yours is the typical mentality of a person programmed by unionism.
That irrational belief that for every one job created outside the grasp of a labor collective is one that a labor collective will lose.
Who do union people live in such fear of the world outside the union bubble?
I can tell you this. If Staples employees belonged to a labor collective, this argument would never have been presented.
However since pro union people are anti worker choice, they are throwing a fit.

Congressman Darrell Issa really is determined to end the United States Postal Service as Americans know it—indeed, as Americans have known it for more than 200 years.

Issa, the powerful chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, has a long history of attacking the postal service. But, now, he has taken advantage of a manufactured crisis to get his committee to vote twenty-two to seventeen in favor of a “Postal Reform Act of 2013” that American Postal Workers Union president Cliff Guffey warns “will lead to the demise of the Postal Service.”

With Wednesday’s committee vote, the full House is now set to consider a plan that would, among other things, phase out door-to-door mail delivery by 2022. Instead of the traditional and highly popular delivery model that now exists, mail would be left in so-called “neighborhood cluster boxes” that would serve multiple residences.

The Issa plan also sets the stage for the elimination of most weekend mail service.

The changes Issa proposes would, according to the National Association of Letter Carriers, lead to “the elimination of more than 100,000 postal jobs and would dramatically cut service.” And in addition to its assault on the character and quality of postal service, the legislation includes classic austerity schemes, such as a prohibition against postal unions and management from negotiating protections against the closure of post offices, stations and branches, the consolidating of plants, the privatization of operations and layoffs.

The cuts, if implemented, would issue as an open invitation for private-delivery services to cash in by offering to fill the void created by those cuts. There are profits to be made by delivering mail to the front doors of Americans who can pay—and who want regular delivery on Saturdays. So it should come as no surprise that one of the first endorsements for Issa’s proposal came from the “Coalition for a 21st Century Postal Service,” a group that counts FedEx as one of its most enthusiastic boosters.

The corporations that want to carve the USPS up and grab their pieces of America’s communications infrastructure are ready to pounce.

That is what is at stake.

Postal Service moving away from at-your-door delivery - Jul. 23, 2013

moving towards cluster boxes has been going on long before Issa came along.....the problem was that the type of mail delivery is determined by the builders of the housing track....now they are trying to make it a law that new developments will have cluster boxes....i have always been for this....for various reasons....

Under the above, the Post Office was required to pay 75 years in advance all health benefits and retirement. By 2016.

Manufactured crisis.

On top of this was the 40 year old accounting error. The federal Office of Personnel Management has overcharged the post office by as much as $80 billion for payments into the Civil Service Retirement System.

The rise of the Donahoe

Postmaster General: Postal Service 'On Brink of 5.5 Billion Payment Default' - The Five Towns - Far Rockaway - Jewish Community News Service - 5 Times More Value - TheFiveTowns.Info

Issa calls it a scandal and is totally shocked and demands cuts.
Postal Service prodded -- once again -- to do more with less - Oversight - GovExec.com

All of these scandals are nothing more than bread and circuses. Almost forgot, I don't think the PO has used tax dollars since the 1970s.

The fadct is the USPS employs too many people who are using archaic methods of getting the work done.
Hand sorting mail for carrier routes? Come on....All mail should be bar coded and sorted by machines.

were the hell have you been hiding Spoon?....hand sorting?....they have been using bar codes and machines for about 35 years now for letters....and the new ones they are using now for flats are the most Sophisticated on the planet....they put the Magazines like the letters in route order.....when these new ones went on line...we had a group from Japan Post come in to look at it....im sure they ordered one....the Machine is huge and 70-80 yards long....its the reason they dont need many clerks anymore...
I live in a town of 30,000 people. IN the PO here you can kind of see thru into the back of the PO where the mail comes in/out...There are people back there who appear to be hand sorting the routes. I could be wrong. But there are about 5 or more people back there doing stuff..One of the things that really pisses me of is when there is a line out the door and there are two or three clerks when suddenly one just disappears to go on a break.
This is a foreign concept to me. In my world you take care of the customer, then you take a break. You don't just drop what you are doing because the clock says 10:15
One time there was almost a fist fight in there.
I guess there were about 30 or so people on line. There were two clerks. One went away. People on line started getting antsy and then a couple people complained to the on duty clerk. The clerk told them the other clerk went on her break.
Well that set off a firestorm. It got so loud that the Postmaster had to come out of her office. BY then people were pissed off and demanding to the Postmaster go and tell the other clerk to get back to work until the customers were taken care of.
To make matters worse the Postmaster told the customers that there was nothing she could do and to please be patient. That did not blow over well either
It is this kind of crap that makes people hate the government in general and government agencies like the USPS specifically.
BTW...Other than sit on their ass in an office, just exactly what does the Postmaster do? What does their job entail?
I know one function they have....To avoid at all costs any potential contact with the customers.

The other day I went in Walmart and they had a crazy line and only 2 lines were open. I didnt witness any Republicans screaming about how Walmart needs to be shut down.

But if the post office has a line THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!

No bias there, nope. None

another lib boycott?

lol

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........................................

The other day I went in Walmart and they had a crazy line and only 2 lines were open. I didnt witness any Republicans screaming about how Walmart needs to be shut down.

But if the post office has a line THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!

No bias there, nope. None

Walmart isnt funded with tax dollars dimwit

Anyone that buys at Staples is a moron. Everything is at least twice as expensive there.

No...You stated that privatization destroys the middle class.
That is a general statement. One that implies that only public sector work is acceptable.
Your argument is based on a false premise.
The USPS has stated it will not lat off any current USPS workers in lieu of the Staples deal..
Using Staples stores is ADDING to the capacity of the USPS...
Yours is the typical mentality of a person programmed by unionism.
That irrational belief that for every one job created outside the grasp of a labor collective is one that a labor collective will lose.
Who do union people live in such fear of the world outside the union bubble?
I can tell you this. If Staples employees belonged to a labor collective, this argument would never have been presented.
However since pro union people are anti worker choice, they are throwing a fit.

Congressman Darrell Issa really is determined to end the United States Postal Service as Americans know it—indeed, as Americans have known it for more than 200 years.

Issa, the powerful chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, has a long history of attacking the postal service. But, now, he has taken advantage of a manufactured crisis to get his committee to vote twenty-two to seventeen in favor of a “Postal Reform Act of 2013” that American Postal Workers Union president Cliff Guffey warns “will lead to the demise of the Postal Service.”

With Wednesday’s committee vote, the full House is now set to consider a plan that would, among other things, phase out door-to-door mail delivery by 2022. Instead of the traditional and highly popular delivery model that now exists, mail would be left in so-called “neighborhood cluster boxes” that would serve multiple residences.

The Issa plan also sets the stage for the elimination of most weekend mail service.

The changes Issa proposes would, according to the National Association of Letter Carriers, lead to “the elimination of more than 100,000 postal jobs and would dramatically cut service.” And in addition to its assault on the character and quality of postal service, the legislation includes classic austerity schemes, such as a prohibition against postal unions and management from negotiating protections against the closure of post offices, stations and branches, the consolidating of plants, the privatization of operations and layoffs.

The cuts, if implemented, would issue as an open invitation for private-delivery services to cash in by offering to fill the void created by those cuts. There are profits to be made by delivering mail to the front doors of Americans who can pay—and who want regular delivery on Saturdays. So it should come as no surprise that one of the first endorsements for Issa’s proposal came from the “Coalition for a 21st Century Postal Service,” a group that counts FedEx as one of its most enthusiastic boosters.

The corporations that want to carve the USPS up and grab their pieces of America’s communications infrastructure are ready to pounce.

That is what is at stake.

Postal Service moving away from at-your-door delivery - Jul. 23, 2013

No good. That is someone else's opinion...I asked for YOURS.

It's great. You just don't like it.

Here is the legislation. Again.

It's designed to destroy the post office by forcing them to pay 75 years in advance benefits and retirement benefits. By 2016. Intentional. This doesn't include the 40 year accounting error.

You are now in full denial mode if you think that this isn't the name of the game. Issa is a proponent of this.
Restated. Again. Moving middle class jobs to the 8 and change is, in fact, destroying middle class jobs. This means that this line that you use here: One that implies that only public sector work is acceptable. a convoluted attempt for you to justify that movement to an 8 dollar and change job.

I'm not going to ferret out a response from 14 pages of this thread.
Just respond directly to my post.
Simple.

That makes it your problem and not mine.

No..It's your problem because I made a separate point to which apparently you have no response.
Great.
On that note, you're just whining here.

You didn't make a separate point. You reiterated what had already been addressed because you were too damn lazy to go back and read it.

libs are whining the US Postal Service isnt going broke because it's bloated and mismanaged; it's somebody elses fault; like everything else in the world of failed Progressives

Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal

The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has just come out with its latest report on the wage levels of jobs added as the nation has emerged from the Great Recession. As with NELP's previous reports, which continue to garner national attention, the news was pretty simple: we're only adding low wage jobs. Some 1.85 million more low-wage workers -- defined by under $13.33 an hour -- are employed by low-wage industries now then in 2008. About the same number, 1.93 million workers -- fewer workers are now employed in mid-wage and higher-wage industries.

The U.S. Postal Service has historically been one of those higher-wage industries, with average pay just under $25 an hour. For generations, postal jobs have been a ticket to the middle class, including as one of the few employers who hired African-Americans at good wages earlier in the 20th century. But the post office is accelerating a new strategy to increase sales and shed labor costs by opening up mini-post offices at Staples stores.

Staples is one of those low-wage employers, with Staples workers reporting that retail clerks average around $8.50 an hour. After piloting the mini-post offices in 82 Staples stores, the post office announced it would expand the program, prompting the American Postal Workers Union to organize more than 50 protest rallies outside Staples stores around the country.

Of course, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said that no postal jobs would be lost because of the Staples program and that the motivation was "growing our business." But the same Wall Street Journal article with Donohoe's statement revealed the real motivation. It quoted an internal postal service memo, which said that the Staples pilot program was to determine "if lower costs can be realized with retail partner labor instead of the labor traditionally associated with retail window at Post Offices." Oops!
Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal*|*Richard Kirsch

It's time for Donahoe to go.

More destruction of the middle class and not a peep.

Your argument is that the post office exists to provide middle class jobs for a few chosen citizens? And, that it is the responsibility of all the non chosen citizens to subsidize the jobs of the few chosen citizens? That clerks that make $8.50 per hour should be happy to sacrifice to help someone else make $25.00 per hour? How liberal of you.

Because it's continued destruction of the middle class.

Which is also the reason why some (middle class) rw's will shop there.

Like I've said before, we now have an entire political party running on the promises to make you poor and keep you poor while trashing the US. Amazingly, there are some who are in favor of this.
Talk about naive. Some just never learn who is keeping who down. how sad!!!!

there were less poor people when Republicans ran things

and 16 MILLION FEWER AMERICANS ON FOOD STAMPS
who's trashing the economy?

libs are losers who lie to themselves

Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal

The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has just come out with its latest report on the wage levels of jobs added as the nation has emerged from the Great Recession. As with NELP's previous reports, which continue to garner national attention, the news was pretty simple: we're only adding low wage jobs. Some 1.85 million more low-wage workers -- defined by under $13.33 an hour -- are employed by low-wage industries now then in 2008. About the same number, 1.93 million workers -- fewer workers are now employed in mid-wage and higher-wage industries.

The U.S. Postal Service has historically been one of those higher-wage industries, with average pay just under $25 an hour. For generations, postal jobs have been a ticket to the middle class, including as one of the few employers who hired African-Americans at good wages earlier in the 20th century. But the post office is accelerating a new strategy to increase sales and shed labor costs by opening up mini-post offices at Staples stores.

Staples is one of those low-wage employers, with Staples workers reporting that retail clerks average around $8.50 an hour. After piloting the mini-post offices in 82 Staples stores, the post office announced it would expand the program, prompting the American Postal Workers Union to organize more than 50 protest rallies outside Staples stores around the country.

Of course, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said that no postal jobs would be lost because of the Staples program and that the motivation was "growing our business." But the same Wall Street Journal article with Donohoe's statement revealed the real motivation. It quoted an internal postal service memo, which said that the Staples pilot program was to determine "if lower costs can be realized with retail partner labor instead of the labor traditionally associated with retail window at Post Offices." Oops!
Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal*|*Richard Kirsch

It's time for Donahoe to go.

More destruction of the middle class and not a peep.

Your argument is that the post office exists to provide middle class jobs for a few chosen citizens? And, that it is the responsibility of all the non chosen citizens to subsidize the jobs of the few chosen citizens? That clerks that make $8.50 per hour should be happy to sacrifice to help someone else make $25.00 per hour? How liberal of you.

It's just you attempting to take it out of context.

The post office is going broke because of email, internet bill presentment, internet bill payment

I remember I used to mail off about 12-15 bills each month in envelopes with stamps. Now, I very rarely write a check and I can't remember the last time I mailed a check.

That's at least $6 a month, times several million people who do the same.

I live in a town of 30,000 people. IN the PO here you can kind of see thru into the back of the PO where the mail comes in/out...There are people back there who appear to be hand sorting the routes. I could be wrong. But there are about 5 or more people back there doing stuff..One of the things that really pisses me of is when there is a line out the door and there are two or three clerks when suddenly one just disappears to go on a break.
This is a foreign concept to me. In my world you take care of the customer, then you take a break. You don't just drop what you are doing because the clock says 10:15
One time there was almost a fist fight in there.
I guess there were about 30 or so people on line. There were two clerks. One went away. People on line started getting antsy and then a couple people complained to the on duty clerk. The clerk told them the other clerk went on her break.
Well that set off a firestorm. It got so loud that the Postmaster had to come out of her office. BY then people were pissed off and demanding to the Postmaster go and tell the other clerk to get back to work until the customers were taken care of.
To make matters worse the Postmaster told the customers that there was nothing she could do and to please be patient. That did not blow over well either
It is this kind of crap that makes people hate the government in general and government agencies like the USPS specifically.
BTW...Other than sit on their ass in an office, just exactly what does the Postmaster do? What does their job entail?
I know one function they have....To avoid at all costs any potential contact with the customers.
One does in public sector jobs. And they still don't understand.

Liberals would rather have fewer post offices.

In years gone by, liberals would have been screaming that blacksmiths were going to lose their jobs to those filthy motorcars. The middle class blacksmiths would be destroyed. Don't you CARE about the middle class blacksmiths?

Forum List

Back