Boycott Staples

I'll come out and say it.

UPS, et.al could do it better, cheaper and turn a profit.

But, they don't. So, why don't they?

They are prohibited by law from carrying first class mail equivalents. Seems you would know that be so up to date on legislation and all.

So you are saying the PO's monopoly - and their ability to overpay desk clerks - must be protected by law at the expense of the American consumer?

The only reason you would be so emotional here is you have a vested interest. So tell the class, what is your connection to the post office?

I'm not emotional at all. You just don't like what I'm saying. Further, you don't have to work for the PO to give a damn about the further destruction of the middle class.

The free market? It ain't free.

I've lived at my current address for 17 years, haven't had one postal employee for a carrier, all have been contract carriers. For a bunch of years the postal union was much like the UAW with their never ceasing demands, I knew a carrier in Puerto Rico that was making $80K a year in the mid 90's. There's no way a route carrier is worth that kind of money. The unions are reaping what the have sewn and rightfully so. First class mail has been diminishing for years, 5 day delivery and other cuts are inevitable, the longer they are delayed the more painful it will be.

The average postal worker makes an average of 83k a year. They are the highest paid government ( higher than average federal employees ) employees. 80 percent of the Postal Service’s costs is labor.

http://www.newsweek.com/will-five-day-delivery-save-postal-service-69603

And does anyone want to tell me why a Post Master makes more than 850,000 dollars a year in pay, bonuses and benefits? Twice that of the president of the United States?

Postmaster's $857,459.00 Salary | Video - ABC News

Last edited:
I'll come out and say it.

UPS, et.al could do it better, cheaper and turn a profit.

They are prohibited by law from carrying first class mail equivalents. Seems you would know that be so up to date on legislation and all.

If they just had that, then they could be more efficient and operate cheaper?

No. They are notoriously bad now, without that, ok?

CaféAuLait;9044636 said:
I'm not emotional at all. You just don't like what I'm saying. Further, you don't have to work for the PO to give a damn about the further destruction of the middle class.

The free market? It ain't free.

I've lived at my current address for 17 years, haven't had one postal employee for a carrier, all have been contract carriers. For a bunch of years the postal union was much like the UAW with their never ceasing demands, I knew a carrier in Puerto Rico that was making $80K a year in the mid 90's. There's no way a route carrier is worth that kind of money. The unions are reaping what the have sewn and rightfully so. First class mail has been diminishing for years, 5 day delivery and other cuts are inevitable, the longer they are delayed the more painful it will be.

The average postal worker makes an average of 83k a year. They are the highest paid government ( higher than average federal employees ) employees. 80 percent of the Postal Service’s costs is labor.

And does anyone want to tell me why a Post Master makes more than 850,000 dollars a year in pay, bonuses and benefits? Twice that of the president of the United States?

Ahem.
Post Office Pay Scales. The PS Full Time Annual Rates by Step and Grade.

So you are saying the PO's monopoly - and their ability to overpay desk clerks - must be protected by law at the expense of the American consumer?

Even with their monopoly they have been using private airlines, trucking companies and contract rural carriers for decades. Urban sprawl has made it impractical the have neighborhood PO's, they don't have the volume necessary to pay to keep the lights on. I'm finding this thread a bit humorous because of the lefties fearing,.......... wait for it, ...........CHANGE.

CaféAuLait;9044636 said:

Ahem.

Ahem that is base pay. Benefits and retirement bump them up to 83 k a year.

http://postalemployeenetwork.com/news/

So why is it the Postmaster makes twice as much as Obama?

CaféAuLait;9044684 said:
CaféAuLait;9044636 said:

Ahem.

Ahem that is base pay. Benefits and retirement bump them up to 83 k a year.

http://postalemployeenetwork.com/news/

So why is it the Postmaster makes twice as much as Obama?

You're jumping through hoops. How long do you have to work to get there?

I have no idea why the PMG makes that much. None. I'm not defending that. In fact, there are 37 that are overpaid.
It was a very good year: The salaries of USPS executives | Save the Post Office

Does that mean you boycott Obama as well?

You will look back and see him as the second best Republican president that you had. The first one was Clinton.

And don't forget....Clinton was also America's first black president - he said so himself!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JA1nWPFqM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3JA1nWPFqM[/ame]

THE NEW PRESIDENCY - THE BOOMERS' BALL - Clinton's Musical Taste Stops in the Carter Era - NYTimes.com

mmmhmmm

The post office is making a smart business decision. This isn't going to lead to anything more than a more competitive USPS that can focus on priorty mail and package delivery.

kohls.jpg

The POST OFFICE is destroying itself by adhering to an obsolete and cost prohibitive business model.

build one less plane...who gives a shit.
Seriously.....im tired of people like you shitting on people with low wages. Go make 8.50 an hour and see how long you last with your current life style.

also no assistance ( because you hate it)
No healthcare because you cant afford it.
Barely enough gas to get you to that job.
May or may not have a cell phone to call for those jobs....

They would be eligible for ReaganPhones!

Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal

The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has just come out with its latest report on the wage levels of jobs added as the nation has emerged from the Great Recession. As with NELP's previous reports, which continue to garner national attention, the news was pretty simple: we're only adding low wage jobs. Some 1.85 million more low-wage workers -- defined by under $13.33 an hour -- are employed by low-wage industries now then in 2008. About the same number, 1.93 million workers -- fewer workers are now employed in mid-wage and higher-wage industries.

The U.S. Postal Service has historically been one of those higher-wage industries, with average pay just under $25 an hour. For generations, postal jobs have been a ticket to the middle class, including as one of the few employers who hired African-Americans at good wages earlier in the 20th century. But the post office is accelerating a new strategy to increase sales and shed labor costs by opening up mini-post offices at Staples stores.

Staples is one of those low-wage employers, with Staples workers reporting that retail clerks average around $8.50 an hour. After piloting the mini-post offices in 82 Staples stores, the post office announced it would expand the program, prompting the American Postal Workers Union to organize more than 50 protest rallies outside Staples stores around the country.

Of course, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said that no postal jobs would be lost because of the Staples program and that the motivation was "growing our business." But the same Wall Street Journal article with Donohoe's statement revealed the real motivation. It quoted an internal postal service memo, which said that the Staples pilot program was to determine "if lower costs can be realized with retail partner labor instead of the labor traditionally associated with retail window at Post Offices." Oops!
Post Office Piles on Shift to Low-wage Economy With Staples Deal*|*Richard Kirsch

It's time for Donahoe to go.

More destruction of the middle class and not a peep.

I see nothing wrong with providing customers with a convenient place to do business with the USPS.
One thing is for sure. Customers at a Staples will never have to endure the indignation of waiting on line and having to watch a USPS employee vacate their window because it is time for their union mandated coffee break.
Any attempt by a customer oriented retail business to improve the customer experience while controlling the cost to the consumer is OK by me.
If regular USPS workers could do the same thing inside the USPS offices, this program would not be necessary. However, the USPS is just another inefficient government run entity that is in need of a shot of caffeine.

Because it's continued destruction of the middle class.

How is it that Staples is destroying the middle class..
Ya know, "middle class" was used as a class envy buzz term during the 2008 campaign.
Once Obama got elected, the term was put away like Christmas Decorations after New Year's Day.
And now the USPS union thugs have dredged up "middle class"....
Tell me, how come after 5 1/2 years of Obama allegedly telling the 'middle class' he was 'their guy', why are you lefties bitching about the middle class.
I thought Obama was going to fix all that stuff.

Because it's continued destruction of the middle class.

Which is also the reason why some (middle class) rw's will shop there.

Like I've said before, we now have an entire political party running on the promises to make you poor and keep you poor while trashing the US. Amazingly, there are some who are in favor of this.

Snicker snicker..
Let me get my chest waders and stall mucking fork.
The horse shit is getting thick and deep here.

Forum List

Back