BREAKING: ISIS just blew up Jonah's tomb

CaféAuLait;9506312 said:
Jonah is not a Christian tradition...

The holy site is thought to be the burial place of the prophet Jonah, who was swallowed by a whale or fish in both the Islamic and Judeo-Christian traditions.

both the Islamic and Judeo-Christian traditions...mosque called the Mosque of the Prophet Younis.

It says it is in both Islamic and Judeo-Christian traditions. It was a Mosque not a church and the oldest Mosque in the town.

Muslim story:

Story of Prophet Yunus/Jonah (pbuh)

There are several prophets shared by Muslims and Christians.

Story of Prophet Yunus/Jonah (pbuh)

The site trashed by the caliphate dogs was actually originally a Christian shrine
and church -----besides the legend that Jonah is buried there----several
prominent Christians of history were buried there ------ the place was stolen by
some emulator of the rapist pig something like 800 years ago and pillaged in the
rapist pig manner and transformed into a mosque. The likely reason that the
caliphate dogs trashed the site is their abhorrence of the reality of history which
---when studied----demonstrates their filth--------destroying ancient sites is their way of
insuring that their revisionist history will not be challenged by reality

thanks for the YUNUS citation-----I do not recall reading that part of the Koran------probably
because it is such an idiotic version of the actual bibiical account that it simply fell out of my
head. . The book of Jonah in the bible is a very early book. It is a sublime story---
the account in the Koran ------is just silly -------a man does not do what allah wants him to
do so allah sends a whale out to eat him. sheeeeesh----the muslims may have trashed
an ancient religious site they stole from Christians but FAR WORSE ----they trashed the sublime
BOOK OF JONAH even before they stole that site in Mosul.

Last edited:
I am surprised at the faux rage over the possible maybe destruction of a shrine dedicated to a fictional character.

Was the whale blown up too? How about Pinocchio?

Actually Jonah was supposedly swallowed by a big fish, not a whale. Pinocchio lied to you. Meanwhile, I am kind of surprised at you. I would think that any civilized person would hate to see some antiquity destroyed. Haven't you ever gone into museums and appreciated being able to view things from the past?

Howey has as much cultural and historical interest as your average gnat. It is terrible that the Islamonazis felt compelled to destroy a antiquity such as this.

I've been in more museums and visited historical sites than you and any other teabagger on this forum. That doesn't discount the fact that Jonas was nothing more than a fictional character.

Actually Jonah was supposedly swallowed by a big fish, not a whale. Pinocchio lied to you. Meanwhile, I am kind of surprised at you. I would think that any civilized person would hate to see some antiquity destroyed. Haven't you ever gone into museums and appreciated being able to view things from the past?

Howey has as much cultural and historical interest as your average gnat. It is terrible that the Islamonazis felt compelled to destroy a antiquity such as this.

I've been in more museums and visited historical sites than you and any other teabagger on this forum. That doesn't discount the fact that Jonas was nothing more than a fictional character.

You can say you have gone to many more museums than anyone (on the Internet you can claim anything you want to like this because no one can check to see if it is the truth). However, why do you have a problem with people believing something if they want to? Even if there was no Jonah, does it bother you that a very old tomb means something to them? A lot that was in the Bible has been found to be true by all the archeological digs. There might have been a man called Jonah who in Biblical days was fishing, and a big fish pulled him overboard. We will never know what actually happened, but it is a shame that these antiquities are being destroyed. Probably you have no problem with what the Taliban did to the Buddhist statues.

CaféAuLait;9505240 said:
I am surprised they blew up the oldest mosque in Mosul. I wonder what was so "un-Islamic" about it?

It probably wasn't "Islamic" enough for these psychopaths.

I think it is in very bad taste to destroy anything that is a marvel or a historical timepiece, but Christians did it also when gaining power in Egypt and other old empires...So it is sad to see any extremist destroying what they believe to be anything short of what they cherish and consider to be okay in their religion...Which has led me to believe that fringe religions suck..as do fringe non-religious groups that destroy history..

I agree. This group, like the Taliban, is destroying our precious historical monuments. This is always very sad and very infuriating.

Meanwhile, Obama is too busy fundraising and golfing to give this situation any attention.

Jonah is not a Christian tradition...

I assure you, i didn't learn about Jonah and the whale in a mosque.

How many times a day did you go to the mosque?

None. You said that it isn't a Christian tradition. My point is if its not a Christian tradition, then how do I know about it? Ive never been in a mosque, but I did learn it in in a Christian church. It IS a Christian tradition, though im an atheist now and I don't believe in it, but I did learn it from Christians.

makes me glad that I'm not an adherent to Monotheism or any other organized religion for that matter. :)
They destroy &/or try to discredit any religion/sect that contradicts their own mythology
Monotheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Monotheism characterizes the traditions of Atenism, Babism, the Bahá'í Faith, Cao Dai (Caodaiism), Cheondoism (Cheondogyo), Christianity, Deism, Eckankar, Islam, Judaism, etc...

Last edited:

You can say you have gone to many more museums than anyone (on the Internet you can claim anything you want to like this because no one can check to see if it is the truth). However, why do you have a problem with people believing something if they want to? Even if there was no Jonah, does it bother you that a very old tomb means something to them? A lot that was in the Bible has been found to be true by all the archeological digs. There might have been a man called Jonah who in Biblical days was fishing, and a big fish pulled him overboard. We will never know what actually happened, but it is a shame that these antiquities are being destroyed. Probably you have no problem with what the Taliban did to the Buddhist statues.

I didn't say that, did I?

Where was the outrage when this happened?

Trinicenter.com - Are Americans the new Mongols of the Mideast?
And like the Mongols, U.S. troops stood by while Iraqi mobs looted and destroyed artifacts at the National Museum of Iraq in Baghdad. They also reportedly joined looters who pillaged other lucrative targets like office buildings, stores, and private homes. The Bush regime ignored calls from Koichiro Matsura, the head of the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), who appealed to the United States to provide protection for Iraqi museums. His calls, like those from the governments of Jordan, Russia, and Greece, went unheeded by Bush regime war officials.

And this?

Diane Tucker: Brutal Destruction Of Iraq's Archaeological Sites Continues (SLIDESHOW)

A brutal plundering of this rich cultural heritage has been taking place in broad daylight ever since the 2003 invasion of Iraq. These days*Ancient Mesopotamia*looks more like a scene from the movieHoles.

"I still find it hard to believe this is happening,"Clemens Reichel*told the*Huffington Post. "Since the 2003 Iraq War, my work as a field archaeologist has changed forever. Sometimes it feels more like an undertaker's work." Reichel, a Mesopotamian archaeologist at the University of Toronto, is former editor of the*Iraq Museum Database Project*at the University of Chicago's*Oriental Institute.

The scope of the*catastrophe*taking place cannot be overstated, said Reichel.

Thousands of cuneiform-inscribed tablets, cylinder seals, and stone statues have illegally made their way to the lucrative antiquities markets of London, Geneva, and New York. Irreplaceable artifacts have been purchased for less than $100 on Ebay.

Beyond the loss of these precious objects, reckless digging has destroyed the ability of researchers to assemble a mosaic of meaning from the shards of ancient art and mud bricks buried in the ground. "Artifacts without context are decoration, nothing more. Pretty, but useless," said Reichel.

Or this?

US Troops Destroy Iraq's Ancient Past

Irreplaceable historical sites and religious artefacts are being destroyed by the US-led occupation forces, says Iraq's interim culture minister.*Sites including Babylon, one of the world's most renowned archaeological treasures, are being damaged by the occupation forces, according to minister Mufid al-Jazairi.*The minister also said on Sunday the US-led forces needed to leave the area as soon as possible to avoid further destruction.*Heavy equipment, helicopters and other machinery used by Polish-led forces based at Babylon, 100km south of Baghdad, are causing irreparable harm, he said.*"Just their presence, with their heavy equipment, is harmful in and of itself," the minister said, adding that helicopters landing and taking off was just one of the problems.*"We don't know how much damage the military presence has caused because our experts are not permitted to enter the site.*"But we have received information that several archaeological sites have been damaged or destroyed," he said, mentioning the temples of Ninma and Nabu, and the famed palace of Nibushadnizar.

DAMN TERRORISTS!!!!

They blew up a mosque. ..bummer.

the "mosque" was actually an ancient Christian shrine in which some
early saint like characters had been interred ------as far as I know ---it was
never a jewish thing-------so I am not sure why muslims hated it so much----

I am a jew------I am sorry they destroyed it------it was a Christian site in the past----
and later stolen by muslims and it became a muslim site. As a jew----I have no regard for
it other than as an historical site that should have been preserved-----for the sake of history.

The story of Jonah is sublime------but JONAH as a person is no big deal---just another person ---
assuming there was such a person------which I doubt

Islamic State (Isis) militants have blown up a revered Muslim shrine traditionally said to be the burial place of the prophet Jonah in Mosul, residents of the city said.
The mosque was built on an archaeological site dating back to the eighth century BC and is said to be the burial place of the prophet, who in stories from both the Bible and Qur'an is swallowed by a whale.

It was renovated in the 1990s under Iraq's late dictator Saddam Hussein and until the recent blitz by Isis that engulfed Mosul, remained a popular destination for religious pilgrims from around the world.

I bet there are a lot of photographs of what the site looked like after it was renovated by Saddam Hussein. Those photos could be used to create a 3D virtual reality version of the site, so those interested can get a good appreciation of what ISIS had destroyed.

ISIS blew it up because Sunni muslim theology forbids shrines or elaborate burial sites as it encourages praying at graves and idol worship. .. :cool:

ISIS blew it up because they are Muslim scum who reject everything non Muslim.
Nothing new here folks, just Muslims causing more carnage in the Missle East

Forum List

Back