Breaking News: New CPI inflation report lowest since 2021

Were you in coma in 2020?

You did not see all the spending the Govt was doing? Those nice checks they kept sending out to people, the one we got even was followed by a lovely letter from Trump himself telling us the money was due to him.

Do you really, honestly, think all that spending in 2020 did not have any impact on the inflation that followed it? Really?

Oh, I know it did. I also know that Biden's continued pumping of money into things didn't help.

The second dollar is more inflationary than the first.

I just wanted to know if that is what you are referencing.

As I understood it, that money was pretty much a demand from the left which Trump caved to. But I have to say I am not all that well versed in that area.

And If a frog had wings, he wouldn't thump his little bottom blue on the rocks.

I do not believe that you're qualified for any such discussion regarding matters of economic theory or monetary policy.

Few of you are. Very, very few...
I have a BA in Economics from the University of Florida and a Masters Degree from University of Michigan. Also a BA in History from UF. Plus I have been in business forecasting and analysis for 30 years. I feel like I can muddle my way through a discussion on economic theory and monetary policy.

Sigh .. why do people confuse inflation rates with the outcomes of record-high inflation? Rates are down, yet the compounded, additional expenses aren't going down.
Sigh. Why do people not look at wages since 2019 and CPI since 2019 and see they offset just fine and if you are in the bottom wage earners you are actually running ahead?

I wouldn't put much faith in what our government says inflation is. They have a vested interest in low balling that number because SS payments are tied to inflation. Anyone who does grocery shopping will tell you that food prices have gone up considerably.
Again. Food prices are still about 6% of your expenses which is very small and hasnt really changed. What has changed is that eating out has increased from 4% of your income to 5%. That is a 1% increase in your wage consumption due to eating out. So dining is costing people more but it is generally not an issue eating in.

Paycheck to Paycheck.

Key Findings​

• 72% of females who responded to our survey feel like they’re living paycheck to paycheck, compared to nearly 60% of males.
  • 48% of people earning $100,000 or more annually and 36% earning $200,000 or more reported living paycheck to paycheck.
  • Inflation, high cost of living and a lack of income are the most commonly cited reasons for financial struggles.
  • Staying motivated, tracking your spending, establishing an emergency fund, increasing your income and controlling your debt can help you break the cycle of living paycheck to paycheck, experts told MarketWatch Guides.

Sigh. Why do people not look at wages since 2019 and CPI since 2019 and see they offset just fine and if you are in the bottom wage earners you are actually running ahead?
Sigh .. McDonald's workers, as their primary income source, are keeping up with the compounded issues inflation has met while not laying off or automating their workforce (as one example)?

Geez .. it's not rocket science.

Again. Food prices are still about 6% of your expenses which is very small and hasnt really changed. What has changed is that eating out has increased from 4% of your income to 5%. That is a 1% increase in your wage consumption due to eating out. So dining is costing people more but it is generally not an issue eating in.
6%? Seems kind of low. How much as that increased since 2019? How about housing? Let's use a 2 bedroom apartment. What percentage of the average family's budget would that be? And how much has that gone up since 2019?

im-25038259

When have we ever had significant revisions to CPI?
As I assume you know, it happens all the time.

Why the recent revision in how to calculate so-called “core” inflation?

You buy that

Sigh .. McDonald's workers, as their primary income source, are keeping up with the compounded issues inflation has met while not laying off or automating their workforce (as one example)?

Geez .. it's not rocket science.
McDonalds workers as primary income sources were broke in 2019 and they are broke in 2024.

They are currently slightly less broke in 2024 because they went from $9 per hour to $16 per hour and inflation aint up 80%.

There are no McDs workers who feel rich even with 80% wage inflation and it isnt price inflation. Its hard to get by at the bottom by design in the US.

McDonalds workers as primary income sources were broke in 2019 and they are broke in 2024.

They are currently slightly less broke in 2024 because they went from $9 per hour to $16 per hour and inflation aint up 80%.

There are no McDs workers who feel rich even with 80% wage inflation and it isnt price inflation. Its hard to get by at the bottom by design in the US.
You've made my point. Thank you!

Oh, I know it did. I also know that Biden's continued pumping of money into things didn't help.

Correct, Biden made it even worse.

As I understood it, that money was pretty much a demand from the left which Trump caved to. But I have to say I am not all that well versed in that area.

Trump demanded bigger checks be sent out in the 3rd wave than even the Dems were willing to do....so yeah it was not all the Dems.

Trump demanded bigger checks be sent out in the 3rd wave than even the Dems were willing to do....so yeah it was not all the Dems.
I recall some of that.

Big mistake.

However, in the "if you are going to own it....own it catagory", he could have waxed with the whole Bidenomics stuff.

Their economic recovery act was going to do the same thing.

And they called it "bidenomics". which is also spelled inflation.

Trump averaged 1.9.

Biden averaged 5.7

Forum List

Back