Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

If $15/hr is really such a grand idea, why not make the minimum wage $115/hr, so everyone can have a standard of living that exceeds merely that of a living wage?

Every apologist for minimum wage says increasing wages has no effect on prices or employment... everyone just get more cash, and access to "the American Dream"
Chirping_Crickets.jpg
The min wage is racist and anti poor people.
The truth is that min wage workers are found in every social segment. But the products sold with min wage labor are overwhelmingly in low income areas. Thus higher min wage means higher benefits to people who can generally afford them but higher prices to people who can't.

The minimum wage has been falling for 50 years.
Really? So all these laws that have raised the min wage really do the opposite of what they say?
And-everybody-loses-their-minds.jpg

They haven't kept up with inflation, racist.
Idiot. No wages have kept up with inflation.

Why should 16 year olds not get a livable wage....they are working just like anyone else...right? They don't deserve the same compensation for their work.......? You guys just never think do you.......
They are living at home...period. 16 year olds should be going to school,their parents should be making a livable wage that they can support the 16 year old off of and they shouldn't have to work to help mom and dad make ends meet. You republicans never think...you are bullies,thieves and greedy pieces of shit.

Who the fuck are you to tell other people that they shouldn't have a job? When got my first job at 15, during summer vacation. Sophomore and junior years in HS I often babysat on the weekends for a single father who had two boys. I also would house and dog sit for neighbors. Senior year I had a formal job during the school year working 10 hours a week. All while playing three varsity sports, being on stage with the music and drama departments, being active in the chess club, and maintaining a 3.5 GPA.

I wasn't working because I needed to "make ends meet" for my parents. I was working because I wanted the money, and because I liked the jobs I found. It gave me the freedom to have money to spend however I wanted, without my parents having veto power. Other than gas and car insurance, most of my spending was on activities with my friends, taking my girlfriend out on dates, and eating out whenever I didn't feel like dealing with my parents' bad cooking. Unlike many of my HS peers at the time, I didn't even have to bother buying clothing out of my own pocket. My parents continued to pay for whatever basic necessities I needed and I only bought clothes out of my own pocket when I wanted to do shopping that was outside of the budget my parents would have approved.

The only greedy bully here is you. You want to force teenagers to be dependent and helpless people, in a time when developing their independence and freedom is vital to their healthy development. And for what? Because they're too much competition for you that you can't get a minimum wage job otherwise. Fun fact: Depriving someone of economic freedom is one of the hallmark behaviors of an abuser.
Its parents job to take care of kids until they are 18. The rest of your rant is ignored. :)

good then you libs take care of you own and stay the hell out of the rest of our lives
Soon as you scumbags secede from the rest of the civilized nation. You right wingers like to claim the US is a shining example of freedom and every nation should follow our lead yet almost EVERY other civilized nations the min wage is MUCH higher. Only here where we have allowed corporations to become people and influence elections and members of congress are we lagging behind. As usual you morons will be dragged kicking and screaming into a modern era.

Why should 16 year olds not get a livable wage....they are working just like anyone else...right? They don't deserve the same compensation for their work.......? You guys just never think do you.......
They are living at home...period. 16 year olds should be going to school,their parents should be making a livable wage that they can support the 16 year old off of and they shouldn't have to work to help mom and dad make ends meet. You republicans never think...you are bullies,thieves and greedy pieces of shit.

Who the fuck are you to tell other people that they shouldn't have a job? When got my first job at 15, during summer vacation. Sophomore and junior years in HS I often babysat on the weekends for a single father who had two boys. I also would house and dog sit for neighbors. Senior year I had a formal job during the school year working 10 hours a week. All while playing three varsity sports, being on stage with the music and drama departments, being active in the chess club, and maintaining a 3.5 GPA.

I wasn't working because I needed to "make ends meet" for my parents. I was working because I wanted the money, and because I liked the jobs I found. It gave me the freedom to have money to spend however I wanted, without my parents having veto power. Other than gas and car insurance, most of my spending was on activities with my friends, taking my girlfriend out on dates, and eating out whenever I didn't feel like dealing with my parents' bad cooking. Unlike many of my HS peers at the time, I didn't even have to bother buying clothing out of my own pocket. My parents continued to pay for whatever basic necessities I needed and I only bought clothes out of my own pocket when I wanted to do shopping that was outside of the budget my parents would have approved.

The only greedy bully here is you. You want to force teenagers to be dependent and helpless people, in a time when developing their independence and freedom is vital to their healthy development. And for what? Because they're too much competition for you that you can't get a minimum wage job otherwise. Fun fact: Depriving someone of economic freedom is one of the hallmark behaviors of an abuser.
Its parents job to take care of kids until they are 18. The rest of your rant is ignored. :)

It's the job of parents to help kids prepare for adulthood, which includes developing a proper work ethic.
Which they should learn by doing really well in school,doing their school work helping around the home etc. With their hard work in school they should be able to get into a good college which if they are lucky they will get a scholarship but more than likely thanks to the republicans in this country they will go into debt paying for college only take whatever job they can find to start paying back the massive debt they racked up attending college because only in America is it a bad thing to get educated. They stay in that low income job because they got them debts to pay off for the next 20 years and can't try to find a better job and since thanks to republicans all good jobs have been shipped overseas thanks to free trade they are SOL and they still get shit on by the republicans that created the damn mess and demand them to pay for their own stuff and stop trying to change things and just be happy with mediocrity The republicans shackle you with 100 pounds of weights and then throw you of the dock and say HERE SWIM!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are so unintentionally funny.

The result of $15 an hour restaurant wage law......

No wait staff......

presto-applebees.jpg

No dishwashers......

Basket_Commercial_Restaurant_Dishwasher_Equipment_Automatic_dishwasher.jpg

Less employees in drive thrus......

Subway%20Touchscreen%20Drive%20Thru%20Kiosk%20%E2%80%93%20World%E2%80%99s%20Fastest%20Drive%20Thru%E2%84%A2%202.jpg

You think that keeping the minimum wage at 8 bucks will keep those machines out?
The less people I have to deal with to get a fast-food meal out, the more I like it. Mostly I cook at home but if my future hamburger joint looks like a Coke machine, and works the same way, winner winner, burger dinner.

No wait staff......

presto-applebees.jpg

No dishwashers......

Subway%20Touchscreen%20Drive%20Thru%20Kiosk%20%E2%80%93%20World%E2%80%99s%20Fastest%20Drive%20Thru%E2%84%A2%202.jpg

You think that keeping the minimum wage at 8 bucks will keep those machines out?
The less people I have to deal with to get a fast-food meal out, the more I like it. Mostly I cook at home but if my future hamburger joint looks like a Coke machine, and works the same way, winner winner, burger dinner.

When I go to a fast food place, I already know I'm overpaying for food I probably shouldn't be eating in the first place, so if I pay an extra buck a trip because the people are making better money,

what the hell.

No wait staff......

presto-applebees.jpg

No dishwashers......

To a degree, yes. Not completely, no. But keeping the numbers down? Yes.
Even you have to admit that $15 an hour to flip burgers is absurd.

Like I pointed out, the wage doesn't go to $15 for a few years.

If you can't afford to pay you staff a living wage then you shouldn't be in business in the first place.

If we create tons of jobs, but they all pay a buck an hour, that doesn't help anyone but the capitalists who get rich paying jack-shit to their employees.

We create jobs? The only thing I remember creating is a pile of shit on some cops car. Fortunately I live with mom and dad so I don't have to worry about any of this

When I go to a fast food place, I already know I'm overpaying for food I probably shouldn't be eating in the first place, so if I pay an extra buck a trip because the people are making better money,

what the hell.

I couldn't agree more.
But the vast, vast - VAST majority of Americans go where the cheapest price is. Regardless of what they say.

trickle down strikes again ... courtesy of RW's

every DR in the country quit the profession BEFORE ACA hit the country

now we're down to burger joints shutting the doors BEFORE they get hit with $15 an hour min wage...

trickle down ... lol

now we're down to burger joints shutting the doors BEFORE they get hit with $15 an hour min wage...

trickle down ... lol

This is even less coherent than your usual incoherency.

Trickle down? Where are the policies that would spur economic growth? Obama has so vastly expanded the role of government that there is nothing left to "trickle down" after Big Government and its Cronies suck it up.

No wait staff......

presto-applebees.jpg

No dishwashers......

No wait staff......

presto-applebees.jpg

No dishwashers......

what the hell.

I used to eat at a "Taste of Chicago" downtown no-one-needs-to-know-ville, as the economy started to deteriorate at an excellerated rate, I watched his prices go up on his hot dogs .......................$2.00 .........$2.25 ......$2.50

I asked one day how much he thought the average customer was willing to pay for hot dogs. He commented he did not know for sure but he knew about how many a month he would sell and what his out lays were.

That restaurant is no longer open, there were not enough foolish people who were willing to pay for the over priced dogs.

With food you only have me at your mercy if it a nice occasion and I am willing to spend the money or I am traveling.

Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, and other food items have set perceived values which most will not pay more for no matter what.

So you do realize that as the restaurant above raised prices with each successive hike there were less actual customers and less actual cash flow causing the business to fail. By the way that business had been there for over 30 yrs ..................

trickle down ... lol

This is even less coherent than your usual incoherency.

Trickle down? Where are the policies that would spur economic growth? Obama has so vastly expanded the role of government that there is nothing left to "trickle down" after Big Government and its Cronies suck it up.

someone explain DR's trickle down to burger flippers to this idiot.

good then you libs take care of you own and stay the hell out of the rest of our lives
Soon as you scumbags secede from the rest of the civilized nation. You right wingers like to claim the US is a shining example of freedom and every nation should follow our lead yet almost EVERY other civilized nations the min wage is MUCH higher. Only here where we have allowed corporations to become people and influence elections and members of congress are we lagging behind. As usual you morons will be dragged kicking and screaming into a modern era.

It's the job of parents to help kids prepare for adulthood, which includes developing a proper work ethic.
Which they should learn by doing really well in school,doing their school work helping around the home etc. With their hard work in school they should be able to get into a good college which if they are lucky they will get a scholarship but more than likely thanks to the republicans in this country they will go into debt paying for college only take whatever job they can find to start paying back the massive debt they racked up attending college because only in America is it a bad thing to get educated. They stay in that low income job because they got them debts to pay off for the next 20 years and can't try to find a better job and since thanks to republicans all good jobs have been shipped overseas thanks to free trade they are SOL and they still get shit on by the republicans that created the damn mess and demand them to pay for their own stuff and stop trying to change things and just be happy with mediocrity The republicans shackle you with 100 pounds of weights and then throw you of the dock and say HERE SWIM!

The reply of someone who knows I am right and can't defend their position any longer.

It's just not a concept liberals seem to be able to wrap their head around.

As it is, McDonalds is struggling, badly. Double the wages of employees and you double expenses. Now that 4 dollar Big Mac is 8 bucks. Who is willing to pay 8 bucks for a Big Mac? Nobody. So if you want to see hundreds of thousands lose their jobs, make burger flippers minimum wage be 15 bucks an hour. It guarantees they'll become good little democrats, on welfare and food stamps, because they won't have a job.

The reply of someone who knows I am right and can't defend their position any longer.

Wrong again, bub. It's the reply of someone who sees how utterly stupid your posts are and recognized your complete lack of capability to grok why.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Odium here seems to be a 16 year old kid who is mad that mommy and daddy made him get a job.

Listen kid, you've got it horribly wrong. A parent's job is raise and support their kids for the rest of their lives. This is done in many ways, dynamically, constantly changing. When the child is a toddler, the parent raises and supports him by teaching how to make friends and play well with others. When the child reaches the latter of single digit years, the parent raises and supports by teaching the child about the birds and bees and prepares him for the changes he's about to go through. When the child reaches high school, the parent raises and supports by preparing the child to be generally independent. When the child is in his 20s, the parent raises and supports by buying the child his first suit and giving him advice on avoiding the wrong kinds of romantic partners. When the child is in his 30s, the parent raises and supports by giving their advice on raising the grandkids and by babysitting the grandkids so that the child and his wife can have an occasional date night. When the child is in his 40s, the parent raises and supports by continuing to encourage the child that the grandkids are coming along just fine even if they seem like heathens and reminding the child to cherish every moment in the remarkably short experience that is know as life. When the child is in his 50s, the parent raises and supports by comforting the child and assuring him that everything will be okay, even as the parent says goodbye.

It will be a national law. You will not treat workers like your personal slaves to make you richer when they are getting paid less than the product they are making sells for!

If I offered you a job as a the CEO of my company with pay of $10,000 an hour, would you accept the position? Why or why not?
Yes. I wouldn't need all that money so I would donate at least 2k a month to charities or a scholarship for disadvantaged white kids or open a community center for kids...something to help! Hell even better I would ask you to lower my wage and pass it to the workers below me.

Good for you. Generosity is very noble.

What if I offered you the same position, but only at $10,000 a year? Would you accept the position?

Forum List

Back