Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

Conservatives are consistently for state and local governments making their own decisions about what works best for their state or local circumstances...

...at least that's what I've heard...
You heard right. And when you elect liberal fucktards you can bank on liberal fucktard laws.

Just as an aside, while still on the theme of 'liberalism', did you know that San Francisco is one of the most prosperous cities in America?

Got a link?

Just as an aside, while still on the theme of 'liberalism', did you know that San Francisco is one of the most prosperous cities in America?

So now you think bigger wealth gaps are better? Who knew?

SFWealthgap.jpg

In a city where a two-bedroom condo in the Mission was on the rental market a few weeks ago for $10,500 a month and alleys all over downtown are dotted with makeshift homeless encampments, it may be obvious.

But San Francisco's stark income inequality has moved out of conventional wisdom territory and into the land of statistical fact.

The Brookings Institution, a policy research center in Washington, D.C., just published a study showing the gap between San Francisco's wealthy residents and its poor ones is growing faster than in any other city in the nation....

In growth of wealth gap we re No. 1 - SFGate

Oh give me a fucking break. Agreed to under duress. 99.9% of people take any job they can find because they have bills and food and gas and diapers to pay for or buy.Take that horseshit response somewhere else find some gullible kid to swallow that shit.

Under duress? Are you serious? If somebody is pointing a gun at you and forcing you to work for them you should call the police. But as is typical for liberal batwings, you think people are victims because for the decisions they made all on their own.

and to think there was once a time when us middle-agers would have to work in a restaurant when we were teens/early 20's for anywhere between 2.50 and 4.50 hr. and we didnt complain!

$2.50 in 1960 taking into account inflation would be worth $19.96 today.
i can still remember my first job, and probably like many of us in our 50's now, we were working at a local diner, washing dishes for 2.00, 2.30 or so an hour, and we felt kinda rich !!
And coffee was 10 cents a cup. I worked in a service station washing cars at minimum wage, 75 cent/hr. Yesterday, I paid $2 for a cut of coffee. If the cost of coffee is any guide, minimum wage should be $30/hr.

Clearly math isn't your strong suit. Your original ratio of one hour of work to a cup of coffee is 7.5 : 1. It then follows that 7.5 X $2 = $15, not $30.

Conservatives are consistently for state and local governments making their own decisions about what works best for their state or local circumstances...

...at least that's what I've heard...
You heard right. And when you elect liberal fucktards you can bank on liberal fucktard laws.

Got a link?
I believe it does rank quite highly for income but if you aren't a high roller you are SOL and you get to watch the fatcats stuff their pieholes in the fancy restaurants while you eat beans. Been there, done that.

Your theory rests on the employer chipping in for health insurance and the employee being honest about tips.

Health insurance doesn't really matter. You do raise a valid point about tip reporting, but any restaurant being run by anyone with half a brain cell won't allow employees to under report such that the company has to pay additional wages. There are many safeguards to prevent that. And in the past 5-10 years the IRS has become more and more aggressive in cracking down on unreported tips, which creates huge liabilities for the employers. If employees get caught under reporting, and subsequently not paying taxes, the IRS can levy huge fines against the restaurant, which has been known to happen in recent times.

The first safeguard is automatic reporting of all your credit card tips. This alone will almost always take the server above the threshold for the minimum wage requirements. For bussers and food runners, their tips from the servers are typically a percentage of total sales, so the employer knows exactly what they made and nowadays will usually automatically reports 100% of it. The second safeguard is the fact that the restaurant knows how much you sell every shift, in the off chance that a server has all cash tickets. If you sell $800 but only report $25, that's a huge red flag. It's going to prompt the manager to sit you down for a conversation where you're going to need to explain why you are either not reporting your tips, or why you're giving such shitty service that your tips suck this badly.

Nowadays most restaurants have a policy that makes reporting "low" tip amounts grounds for termination, because it indicates that you are either defrauding the employer, breaking the law, or just giving horrible service. Either way, the company does not want you.

What's your evidence that they rarely fail due to labor costs? That's a huge part of overhead, I'd like to know how you determined that.

I've worked in hospitality for well over a decade. I happen to know a thing or two...

People will continue eating out.
Will restaurants pay for healthcare and vacations for employees as is done in Europe?

I worked in this field and with the cost of living on the West Coast , especially in the city there is no way anyone can live on less than that..
Thing is, it has been 15% recommended tip since the 1980's why can't they make it included in the check instead. But then the government couldn't control it and tax it.

Hater dupes think doubling pay for workers means doubling prices, but since payroll is only 20% of a business, it only raises prices by a fifth- while giving society healthy demand and happy workers. So dumb, chumps of greedy idiot billionaires...

The US is only a "welfare state" when Pubs wreck the economy, and society, AGAIN, as the always do. see sig.
I find it remarkable I am wasting my time explaining this to a no mind such as yourself...
In any event, the average labor cost is 30%.....Labor is also the largest percentage cost of operating a business. Labor is also the easiest cost to control...When a business looks to control costs, the first item that sees cuts is labor.
Full time labor will be replaced by part time labor. Part time labor will be replaced by temporary labor.
One way or another the cost will be born by the people this meddling was intended to help. It's a lose lose.
In wholesale retail, labor is an average of 18%. And your bs is shortsighted, fear mongered, and misinformed.

Hater dupes think doubling pay for workers means doubling prices, but since payroll is only 20% of a business, it only raises prices by a fifth- while giving society healthy demand and happy workers. So dumb, chumps of greedy idiot billionaires...

The US is only a "welfare state" when Pubs wreck the economy, and society, AGAIN, as the always do. see sig.
I find it remarkable I am wasting my time explaining this to a no mind such as yourself...
In any event, the average labor cost is 30%.....Labor is also the largest percentage cost of operating a business. Labor is also the easiest cost to control...When a business looks to control costs, the first item that sees cuts is labor.
Full time labor will be replaced by part time labor. Part time labor will be replaced by temporary labor.
One way or another the cost will be born by the people this meddling was intended to help. It's a lose lose.

Besides, the minimum wage has a dismal track record of reducing poverty, one of the dubious claims
made by the left.

The majority of individuals living in poverty — nearly 60 percent, according to the Census Bureau numbers — don't work and a higher minimum wage wouldn't do them any good.

Also some less-skilled or less-experienced people will lose job options. So instead of being pulled out of poverty, they'll get pushed further into it.
Horse patoot. After 30 years of pander to the rich Voodoo tax rates and policies, the nonrich and the country have gone to hell, demand is the major problem. Thanks to the GOP for wrecking the world economy and the stupidest wars ever...hater dupes!! see sig pp 1.

Duh.

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.
Over the past 30 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:
1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.
Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.
But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):
1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%
A 13% drop since 1980
2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:
1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%
An increase of 16% since Reagan.
3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.
1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)
A 12.3% drop after Reagan.
4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:
1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%
A 45% increase after 1980.
5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.
Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:
1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%
A 5.6 times increase.
6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:
1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%
A 10% Decrease.
Links:
1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Zh1bveXc8rA/SuddUhLWUaI/AAAAAAAAA7M/iU2gefk317M/s1600-h/Clipboard01.jpg
2 – http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/blog/09/04/27/CongratulationstoEmmanuelSaez/
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=58&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2010
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/
5/6 = http://www.businessinsider.com/15-charts-about-wealth-and-inequality-in-america-2010-4?slop=1#slideshow-start
Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

and to think there was once a time when us middle-agers would have to work in a restaurant when we were teens/early 20's for anywhere between 2.50 and 4.50 hr. and we didnt complain!

$2.50 in 1960 taking into account inflation would be worth $19.96 today.
i can still remember my first job, and probably like many of us in our 50's now, we were working at a local diner, washing dishes for 2.00, 2.30 or so an hour, and we felt kinda rich !!
And coffee was 10 cents a cup. I worked in a service station washing cars at minimum wage, 75 cent/hr. Yesterday, I paid $2 for a cut of coffee. If the cost of coffee is any guide, minimum wage should be $30/hr.

Clearly math isn't your strong suit. Your original ratio of one hour of work to a cup of coffee is 7.5 : 1. It then follows that 7.5 X $2 = $15, not $30.
Actually, I meant a 5 cent cup a coffee not 10 cents. Coffee was readily available at 5 cent where I live. In some place it was 10 cent..

I worked in this field and with the cost of living on the West Coast , especially in the city there is no way anyone can live on less than that..
Thing is, it has been 15% recommended tip since the 1980's why can't they make it included in the check instead. But then the government couldn't control it and tax it.

Tips are performance based gratuities, not something fucking mandatory.

Wait staff that doesn't get tips, generally don't give service worth a shit ...................

Really man are you that fucking stupid??

Do landscapers/lawn service get 15.00 hr?
Yes, if they are paid as an employee in Seattle they will be paid a minimum wage of $15.00/hr beginning in 2021.

A group called 15 Now is collecting signatures for a ballot measure that would hasten the timeline to $15 for all workers. The measure would amend the city's charter to create an immediate wage hike for large businesses, a three-year phase-in for organizations with fewer than 250 full-time employees, and the elimination of the training wage. 15 Now needs more than 30,000 signatures to make it on the ballot.
Seattle raises minimum wage to 15 an hour

Your sure thats your final answer??

You bitches want it, and you want it now..................................

You did read the title of this threasd, correct??

Can you please tell me from that title and the OP what date is mentioned??

And ANOTHER fear mongering bs misinformation RW thread eats it...

Great I love moronic parrots .........................

Tell us of this "fear mongering " you speak of .........................

I mean you threw a bunch of words together like there is some perceived victory, enlighten us all ....................

Forum List

Back