Breaking News: Restaurants Closing All Over Seattle As $15 Minimum Wage Mandate Starts April 1st.

Ah, gives me a headache. Celebrating American Workers making less than counterparts made 30-40 years ago? WTF?? Seriously, sometimes i get very ashamed of my Republican friends.

Don't get too comfortable with the idea that any of us are your friends, Chuckles. Most of us have standards. And I feel safe in saying none of us really gives a rat's ass for your approval or disapproval.

I didn't say you were my friend. You're not. And i don't give a rat's ass that you don't give a rat's ass. Capisce.

Clearly you DO, since you're wasting time and space babbling about your "shame" in regards to other people. You're doing that because you're hoping to make people feel bad. And I'm clarifying for you that you don't command enough respect from anyone to make that maneuver work.

Glad I could clear that up for you. You seem to have a recurring problem with thinking you're doing and being one thing while the opposite is obviously true.

Well, some of you should feel bad. Your views on and approach to struggling American Workers, are pretty warped and shameful. Try taking a timeout from the Corporate-bootlicking. Try taking a different view and approach. Give it a shot.

I did address it. You're just fine with Big Government interference in business if it benefits you. Otherwise, you're all "Government should stay out of it!!" Such high & mighty hypocrisy. Shame on ya.

Actually, I'm neutral on the subject of my city and county actively trying to convince businesses to move here. They can or not, as they choose. But yes, I think IF they are going to do so, it's completely appropriate for the businesses to negotiate for tax incentives in exchange for what the city/county wants. I also think business owners have the same right to petition government as every other citizen does. There's no equivalency between that and government high-handedly dealing itself into business decisions.

You don't get to have it both ways. You beg for handouts, you have to accept Government being involved. Period, end of story.
Or insist such a dead end game cease for all.

Good luck with that. Businesses will always try to game the Government. They only pretend to hate Big Government when it comes to paying Workers. Pretty convenient hypocrisy, no?

Not that I would expect you to have the gray matter to comprehend this, but there's a big difference between loving Big Government and merely working with the system as it is because there's no other choice.

Convenient hypocrisy. Businesses love Big Government when they think there's something in it for them. Period, end of story.

Wrong. there is a number. Numerous studies have been conducted on the subject. I go with something like $11 - $15 an hr. as a possible survivable wage. How bout you?

How about me?

If I couldn't survive on one job I worked 2 or 3

When I was young I shared an apt with 4 other guys. I lived on 5 for a dollar Ramen soups for months on end

IOW I did what I had to do to pay my bills I find that in general putting your head down and hustling gets far better results than whining.

So $5 an hr. is a decent livable wage to you? Ok. At least you answered the question. Gotta give you some props for that i guess.

It doesn't matter what your starting wage is.

A career is a ladder not a bed. The times I worked for MW in the past I was never more than 6 months away from a pay raise or a promotion because I didn't think being a bag boy or a stock clerk was a job that would support me

I'm sorry but if you're still making MW after 20 years on a job then it's your own fault not your employer's
In america today no one lasts 20 years at a company. And if you build cars or forged steal for 19 years and all those jobs left your town you might end up working at walmart.

We just got to make sure our government looks out for the middle class so we dont all become the working poor.
I will never have to work at Walmart

Never say never. And thanks to people who who actually care about American Workers, you'll make more than $5 an hr. You're welcome.

What do you do? I'm OK with people making minimum as long as its a fair wage. Can't trust owners so the gov decides that number.
Define fair

I've asked you guys for a long time to put a number on what you think is a decent livable wage for average American Workers in today's America. You guys always duck & run. What do you think an average American can survive on today? Take a shot, throw a number out there.
And I've told you that it's up to you to earn what you need to pay your bills. If your no skill job isn't paying you enough then you can get a second job or learn a skill that will warrant higher pay
Heres all we're saying. Between 1950 and 2000 we had high paying manufacturing union labor middle class jobs. We allowed all those jobs to go to China mexico and everywhere else. I know that benefitted the rich and the rest of the world but it didn't help america.

Our gov has a responsibility to look out for the masses. If not capitalism will have us grateful for $5 a day.

Still no explanation what livable wage is. Anyone?
It is then same type of question liberals will never answer like:

When discussing then school system:

How much money do The schools need?

The poor have smart cell phones, 50 inch T.V.s , a/c but for some reason god only knows they can not get any ID to vote.

They think in there strange minds they can force the higher labor cost On to the stockholders or CEOs

I've actually asked the question many times here. And it's usually the Corporate-bootlickers who duck & run from the question. I've asked for you guys to put some numbers on it. What's a decent livable wage for an average American Worker these days. I've thrown a few numbers out there. I said possibly about $11 - $15 an hr. How bout you?

I don't think they're doing it to good customers. Now if you're an asshole to them, then you should worry.

Trust me, you really do want happy & prosperous workers waiting on you in restaurants especially. But happy & prosperous workers make for better workers overall. They're proud of their work and happy to serve.

You never told us how much is a fair wage. Lets say that everyone is doing exactly the same job, how much should they be paid? Is it the same in NYC as in Fargo ND? Is it the same for a single guy living with his parents as for a married guy with 4 kids? Is it the same for a teenager working for pocket money as for a single mom?

And finally, who decides what is a fair wage? Who is this omnipitant wage setter?
How about no less than 60x less than the CEO takes home. Or whatever is a living wage. Its all just funny money anyways.

How about just forgetting about the CEO .................

What he makes is irrelevant to what nay worker makes ...................

Just the skill set alone sets most CEO's apart from the regular laborer, the fact they have a BRAIN and actually understand how business works and how greedy, skill less workers think they are any way equal or have any right to base their pay expectations with them(CEO) in mind.

Workers aren't asking for riches. They're just asking to be paid a decent livable wage. And i don't think that's too much to ask in the richest nation on earth.

Then tell us what that "liveable wage is" How much is liveable? Is it the same for every worker or does it vary depending on the person's age, location, family status, sex, education, etc?

Tell us what the minimum should be and why. You said $15/hour. Thats not much in NYC but quite a good pay rate in a small town in south dakota.

Who do you want to appoint to decide the liveable wage for every worker in the USA?

For one anyone who works for a company for 19 years doing the same job and not into management at that company, the only finger he can point at is him self if that company closes up.

For two you are right "we allowed those Companies to leave by us shopping at big box stores were they pay crap wages and sell shitty products, "we allowed them to leave" by us consumers not buying from local mom and pop stores that payed good wages and sold good products, yea you are right it is our fault.

For three we still have a shit load of manufacturing jobs left that pay good wages, I got my taxes done yesterday and surprise to me I made over 70 grand last year, with OT. And I live in a right to work state South Carolina,
Dont go by how you did. Bill gates made a billion does that mean the economy is good? And by the way michigan is right to work too but it is the union big 3 that's leading the comeback. F150s baby!

Michigan would never have been in the dumper if not for the UAW. Don't fool yourself about why Detroit went from a great modern city to a shithole.
Bullshit you assholes love to blame anyone but bush for the global recession.

Wow, now bush destroyed Detroit and the auto industry? Did you OD on paxil last night?
We all know you righties never admitted you caused the great global recession of 2007.

Uhhh, care to tell us who caused the housing crisis where banks were forced to give mortgages to people who could never make the payments?

WTF is the "global recession of 2007" ? Do you libs just make up shit every day?

Trust me, you really do want happy & prosperous workers waiting on you in restaurants especially. But happy & prosperous workers make for better workers overall. They're proud of their work and happy to serve.

You never told us how much is a fair wage. Lets say that everyone is doing exactly the same job, how much should they be paid? Is it the same in NYC as in Fargo ND? Is it the same for a single guy living with his parents as for a married guy with 4 kids? Is it the same for a teenager working for pocket money as for a single mom?

And finally, who decides what is a fair wage? Who is this omnipitant wage setter?
How about no less than 60x less than the CEO takes home. Or whatever is a living wage. Its all just funny money anyways.

Just the skill set alone sets most CEO's apart from the regular laborer, the fact they have a BRAIN and actually understand how business works and how greedy, skill less workers think they are any way equal or have any right to base their pay expectations with them(CEO) in mind.

Workers aren't asking for riches. They're just asking to be paid a decent livable wage. And i don't think that's too much to ask in the richest nation on earth.

Then tell us what that "liveable wage is" How much is liveable? Is it the same for every worker or does it vary depending on the person's age, location, family status, sex, education, etc?

Tell us what the minimum should be and why. You said $15/hour. Thats not much in NYC but quite a good pay rate in a small town in south dakota.

Who do you want to appoint to decide the liveable wage for every worker in the USA?

I put some numbers out there. But I haven't seen you guys put any numbers out there yet. Oh wait my bad, one of you said $5 an hr. Personally, I think between $11 - $15 an hr is a decent livable starting point.

I put some numbers out there. But I haven't seen you guys put any numbers out there yet. Oh wait my bad, one of you said $5 an hr. Personally, I think between $11 - $15 an hr is a decent livable starting point.

So, lets go with your $15/hour, Ok?

Now we have two guys doing the exact same job, OK so far?

Guy 1lives in manhattan and has a wife and two kids
Guy 2 lives in Guthrie Alabama and lives in his parents basement

Is your $15/hr a liveable wage for both of them? yes or no.

So, lets go with your $15/hour, Ok?

Now we have two guys doing the exact same job, OK so far?

Guy 1lives in manhattan and has a wife and two kids
Guy 2 lives in Guthrie Alabama and lives in his parents basement

Is your $15/hr a liveable wage for both of them? yes or no.

Somewhat, yes. But obviously, one will do a bit better than the other. What's your numbers?

You right wingers sure are confused about this number aren't ya?
A "livable wage" is earnings great enough that the worker does not qualify for direct government assistance ( SNAP, housing allowance, heat allowance etc) at any level.

The other number is "poverty wages". Those people earn so little they do qualify for all those government benefits,
Those people do not make a "livable wage".

Hope that helps you.

Why are you faggots always so ignorant and redneckish???

Fucking morons have never heard of Google??

When you enter proper search terms, you get intelligent results ...................

Define : Living Wage

Search Results
  1. DEFINITION of 'Living Wage' A theoretical wage level that allows the earner to afford adequate shelter, food and the other necessities of life. The living wage should be substantial enough to ensure that no more than 30% of it needs to be spent on housing.
  2. Living Wage Definition | Investopedia
    Terms Beginning With L Investopedialiving_wage.asp

Make sure you note the fucking term "THEORETICAL" before you make any more moronic statements ........................

The poverty threshold, or poverty line, is the minimum level of income deemed adequate in a particular country.

No relevance to this conversation at all, just a fucking buzz word thrown out to elicit sympathy ........................

Grow the fuck up, join a real conversation with out all your faggot bull shit ....................................

A "livable wage" is earnings great enough that the worker does not qualify for direct government assistance ( SNAP, housing allowance, heat allowance etc) at any level.

The other number is "poverty wages". Those people earn so little they do qualify for all those government benefits,

Hope that helps you.

Why are you faggots always so ignorant and redneckish???

Fucking morons have never heard of Google??

When you enter proper search terms, you get intelligent results ...................

Define : Living Wage

Search Results
  1. DEFINITION of 'Living Wage' A theoretical wage level that allows the earner to afford adequate shelter, food and the other necessities of life. The living wage should be substantial enough to ensure that no more than 30% of it needs to be spent on housing.
  2. Living Wage Definition | Investopedia
    Terms Beginning With L Investopedialiving_wage.asp

Make sure you note the fucking term "THEORETICAL" before you make any more moronic statements ........................

The poverty threshold, or poverty line, is the minimum level of income deemed adequate in a particular country.

No relevance to this conversation at all, just a fucking buzz word thrown out to elicit sympathy ........................

Grow the fuck up, join a real conversation with out all your faggot bull shit ....................................

So what do you think is a decent livable wage for an average American Worker today? Just throw some numbers out there. Forget the Politics and loyal defense of Corporations.

Just put a number out there that you think is decent wage for an average American Worker. I already threw some numbers out there. I said between $11 - $15 an hr is a decent start. Now your turn.

The entire concept of mandating a 'living wage' is based on ignorance and wishful thinking. Those supporting it simply don't understand how the value of a given job is resolved.

It's not determined by the employer, nor the employee. It's decided by society, by all of us, as an aggregate of the economic decisions we make on a daily basis. And some of you can't accept the fact that we've decided that some jobs simply aren't worth a "living wage". In response to that uncomfortable fact, you believe you can change it by passing a law. You think that you can simply slap a different number on a given job and society will suddenly change it's view of the relative value of that job.

But reality doesn't work that way. Minimum wage laws don't make low-paying jobs worth more. They just make them illegal.

Hope that helps you.

Cool, lets clarify few things.

What's preventing anyone to earn enough to drop from government assistance? Is livable wage based on 40 hours a week, or there could be some overtime?

Let's say you get livable wage and working 40 hrs a week does not qualify you for gov't assistance. What's preventing anyone to work only 38 hrs a week and get gov't assistance?

Is livable wage applied to any job, regardless if is flipping burgers or driving a bus or sweeping floors etc? What do you have to offer in return for livable wage? How about high school or college diploma, some skills, or you just need to know how breed on your own?

Can you clarify any of these?

Last edited:
We have a good way to determine what a minimum wage should be. We allow the federal government to determine a minimum wage. That gets passed on to the state government to make adjustments if the state wishes. Finally, we allow county, town and city governments to make further adjustment the way Seattle did. Seattle decided to implement a incremental wage increase in their city. It pissed off some national bloggers and so an article was written claiming restaurants were closing all over Seattle. Even though media attacked the article as being a total misrepresentation and lie, there are still some indoctrinated right wingers who refuse to acknowledge the truth. Over 1500 post and we still have not heard or seen the name of a specific restaurant that closed in Seattle due to increased minimum wage.

We have a good way to determine what a minimum wage should be. We allow the federal government to determine a minimum wage. That gets passed on to the state government to make adjustments if the state wishes. Finally, we allow county, town and city governments to make further adjustment the was Seattle did.

Why stop there? What about boroughs and neighborhoods? Families? Individuals? Why not let each person decide for themselves what they're minimum acceptable wage will be?

We have a good way to determine what a minimum wage should be. We allow the federal government to determine a minimum wage. That gets passed on to the state government to make adjustments if the state wishes. Finally, we allow county, town and city governments to make further adjustment the was Seattle did.

Why stop there? What about boroughs and neighborhoods? Families? Individuals? Why not let each person decide for themselves what they're minimum acceptable wage will be?
Because we elect people to make certain kinds of decisions that are deemed to be of importance to the community and need common accepted agreements to prevent problems among the population. We pass laws about things that need resolution and agreement to prevent misunderstandings.

Because we elect people to make certain kinds of decisions that are deemed to be of importance to the community and need common accepted agreements to prevent problems among the population. We pass laws about things that need resolution and agreement to prevent misunderstandings.

That's really the question, isn't it? DID we, in fact, elect people to make decisions regarding what jobs we can work, and for how much? That certainly wasn't my understanding.

That's really the question, isn't it? DID we, in fact, elect people to make decisions regarding what jobs we can work, and for how much? That certainly wasn't my understanding.
I am viewing only the topic of the OP. It was the city of Seattle that passed the minimum wage law. SeaTac, a city bordering on Seattle had passed such a law previously and it seemed to have worked without any great difficulty. I have no problem with a city determining what they consider a fair minimum wage for their city.

I am viewing only the topic of the OP. It was the city of Seattle that passed the minimum wage law. SeaTac, a city bordering on Seattle had passed such a law previously and it seemed to have worked without any great difficulty. I have no problem with a city determining what they consider a fair minimum wage for their city.

Would you have any problem with it if they simply did away with minimum wage altogether?

Can you clarify any of these?

Hey, here is what I know for sure.
You don't make a "livable wage" of you wouldn't be asking such stupid fucking questions.

Are you a MW or close to it worker who gets government assistance? Sounds like it.

Forum List

Back