🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Breaking Update: Obama Replaces “Allah” with “God” in Edited Transcripts of Orlando Killer’s Calls

If God and Allah is so interchangeable why did the Obama administration attempt to replace one word for the other?

This could be used correctly; Allah is god, a generic, lower-case noun. For Jews, Christians and others, God in English is Yahweh, not Allah.

Actually, from what I've read, Allah would be God, the uppercase G. It wouldn't be correct to say that Thor was an Allah, for example. :dunno:

Yes, 'God' in Arabic, god in English.

Sorry, I'm not getting you here. Allah in Arabic and God in English is what I've seen. In other words, Allah is not a generic, lower-case noun, but instead is more a proper noun. I don't know how accurate the definitions I've read are, it would be nice to get the opinion of an Arabic speaker. I don't know if you are?
If you believe Allah is the unique 'God', then for you it is accurate. It has been explained in other posts that a generic term for 'god' in Arabic would be closer to 'al' or 'el', similarly to Hebrew. Allah is closer to saying 'the God' as an English transliteration. But it is unnecessary. It is simple enough to merely say Allah in English. That is not damaging, insulting, demeaning or bigoted.

I never claimed it would be damaging, insulting, demeaning or bigoted. I just think that translating Allah as God in the transcript seems accurate.
There's nothing to translate; if he was speaking English otherwise and said "Allah", then he said "Allah", and if he was speaking Arabic and said "Allah", everyone knows the name in English and it is the same, "Allah".

Actually, from what I've read, Allah would be God, the uppercase G. It wouldn't be correct to say that Thor was an Allah, for example. :dunno:

Yes, 'God' in Arabic, god in English.

Sorry, I'm not getting you here. Allah in Arabic and God in English is what I've seen. In other words, Allah is not a generic, lower-case noun, but instead is more a proper noun. I don't know how accurate the definitions I've read are, it would be nice to get the opinion of an Arabic speaker. I don't know if you are?
If you believe Allah is the unique 'God', then for you it is accurate. It has been explained in other posts that a generic term for 'god' in Arabic would be closer to 'al' or 'el', similarly to Hebrew. Allah is closer to saying 'the God' as an English transliteration. But it is unnecessary. It is simple enough to merely say Allah in English. That is not damaging, insulting, demeaning or bigoted.

I never claimed it would be damaging, insulting, demeaning or bigoted. I just think that translating Allah as God in the transcript seems accurate.
There's nothing to translate; if he was speaking English otherwise and said "Allah", then he said "Allah", and if he was speaking Arabic and said "Allah", everyone knows the name in English and it is the same, "Allah".

So you are saying there is no translation for the word Allah. I disagree.

Forum List

Back